• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon - Non existing support

Joemoonit

Hello everybody, I bought a lifetime license for Roon, it worked very well until a Roon update that messed up something with Windows. I use my PC as core, and after that Roon update the message "Too many failures. Stopping playback" appeared and Roon stopped working. That happens everytime I have to restart my PC, every time I've been able to have Roon back to normal after many on/off, plug/unplug, disable/enable applied to every possible settings. I spare you the details, I spent hours on this. The issue I'm exposing here is the non existing support from Roon. Apart for a girl that have no clue about drivers and software but only pointed out that their policy is "no refund whatsoever" I only had one answer in the forum from a tech guy who asked me many questions, I answered all of them without any feedback - more than 2 weeks ago. Nothing more, they didn't even try to understand what's going on. This is not acceptable from a company that asks a premium price for their product. You pay and then you are on your own. I feel stupid for having trust them and my advice to all of you is to stay away at least to the lifetime licence option.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to say, you need to deal with it. I, too, had the same experience (waiting for a year one a one year signup). The good news is i didnt jump into the lifetime purchase. I am no longer a roon subscriber. I like the product ... a lot. I hate the fact it works ... occasionally and when it doesnt, you are on your own (you do have experienced non roon support that can occasionally help).
A word of caution, insure you keep the tone of your problems at a low level on the forums otherwise you run the risk of being banned and guaranteeing you wont ever get support.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Maybe a Windows Update messed up something with roon. Hard to tell from your sparse description of the environment all that happens in.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
[…] my advice to all of you is to stay away at least to the lifetime licence option.
Great advice.

Even if you don’t want it you’ll be getting back at them with issues for the rest of the lifetime, because software never keeps working forever. Sometimes for known reasons but more often than not for unknown reasons.

Then, chances are that you’re not really being seen as a paying customer. Your lifetime payment back then was back then. It helped them big time to pay their then-bills. But now is now. With a now-problem, now-costs, but no now-money. Let alone tomorrow-money. Or next-year-money.

Anyway I hope you’ll be able to get it solved. Not a Roon user myself but happy to think along.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I bought a lifetime license right at the start. No regrets so far. Some glitches once in a while, mostly because off my pretty large local collection.

Lots of functionality beyond a rich user experience, namely DSP and multi room.

Problems are to be expected with complex products in a complex environment. Apart from Ron causes may be hardware (including network components), operating system, software running concurrently, networking and ISP issues plus user interaction.

Easy to blame all of the above on toon.

@Joemoonit what handle did you use for your post on the roon forum? Would love to understand and maybe help.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a Roon user and love it every day. I also have had a problem or two but have been able to get support by being persistent. Try reaching out to them via email: [email protected]

FWIW: I wish I had purchased the lifetime license when I first started using Roon. It was much cheaper then.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the same problem intermittently with the streaming services. Signing out and in again on the streaming services has solved it.

I love Roon, but I HATE that you have to be internet-connected to play YOUR OWN STORED MUSIC. They put that in recently, and, naturally, I went through a service outage just afterwards.

doodlebro

Roon definitely has a few quirks and bugs that show a lack of thorough integration testing. For example, if you log-in to a Tidal account while it is still free, and upgrade after, Roon gets stuck thinking you cannot use a free account. Took deleting a cache file to get the account to register properly... For anything with a lifetime subscription option, this stuff should never exist.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love Roon, but I HATE that you have to be internet-connected to play YOUR OWN STORED MUSIC. They put that in recently, and, naturally, I went through a service outage just afterwards.
Really? How recently? I just unplugged my modem and had no issues playing music from my NAS.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? How recently? I just unplugged my modem and there was no issues playing music from my NAS.
Just wait. It checks in and fails.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the same problem intermittently with the streaming services. Signing out and in again on the streaming services has solved it.

This too ^^^

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wait. It checks in and fails.
Hmmm... I changed a couple of albums/tracks to verify and everything worked as normal except Tidal and Qobuz were not available as expected.

I can't leave my internet connection off longer as it is a work day. :facepalm:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm... I changed a couple of albums/tracks to verify and everything worked as normal except Tidal and Qobuz were not available as expected.

I can't leave my internet connection off longer as it is a work day. :facepalm:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Joemoonit

Joemoonit

Link to your thread in the Roon forums please?
The thread was renewed later: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/re...-too-many-failures-stopping-playback/240359/3

OP
Joemoonit

Joemoonit

Yesterday I had to reboot my PC and fight to have Roon back to work. I was successful eventually. I'm not an expert but my feeling is that the problem is coming from Windows more than Roon, I had to run the windows audio problems assistant that did something with the driver for my Topping E50 and Roon is now working again.
I think that Roon is by far the best software of its kind (otherwise I wouldn't buy a lifetime license), what I'm pointing out is the lack of support. If I'm correct and this is a clash between Roon and Windows drivers their programmers should have find the solution in no time.

Top Bottom