• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ROON for speaker a/b

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Probably not news to anyone, but ROON is very useful for speaker a/b,ing, you drag both into the same zone, and you can more or less instantaneously switch between the two, you just need to set both to play the same track, you can also of course use REW and a microphone to set the same/similar output level .
Keith—

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Probably not news to anyone, but ROON is very useful for speaker a/b,ing, you drag both into the same zone, and you can more or less instantaneously switch between the two, you just need to set both to play the same track, you can also of course use REW and a microphone to set the same/similar output level .
Keith—
How do you "more or less instantaneously switch between the two?" With JRiver, I just link any outputs I want to compare and switch instantaneously among them.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I haven’t used JRiver for years, I just plug two DACs into my Mac, both DACs appear in the same ‘zone’ and then switch between the two, I am not proposing an A/B revolution but it does allow you to switch between two sets of loudspeakers almost instantaneously.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I haven’t used JRiver for years, I just plug two DACs into my Mac, both DACs appear in the same ‘zone’ and then switch between the two, I am not proposing an A/B revolution but it does allow you to switch between two sets of loudspeakers almost instantaneously.
Keith
I am just being curious. How are you switching? In Roon? With an external device/switch?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you click the ‘output device ‘ symbol which is bottom right of the screen, then the ‘zones’ box opens you can include as many devices as you like, from there you can select which device plays. You can compare the very same track in the very same elapsed time.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you click the ‘output device ‘ symbol which is bottom right of the screen, then the ‘zones’ box opens you can include as many devices as you like, from there you can select which device plays. You can compare the very same track in the very same elapsed time.
Keith
Interesting. JRiver takes a different approach in that all linked outputs are simultaneously active and synched. I use my external switcher/preamp to instantaneously switch among them. I cannot give Roon a try since my power amps can only be connected to one source at a time. If I had multiple sets of active speakers, as you do, it would work.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting. JRiver takes a different approach in that all linked outputs are simultaneously active and synched. I use my external switcher/preamp to instantaneously switch among them.
That is how I am doing my testing in Roon.

Top Bottom