• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Choice

wgb113

For about the past decade or so I've been fortunate to have had the room in our home designated on the floor plan as an "Office" as my dedicated 2ch space for music. The biggest problem is its size - roughly 10'W x 11.6'L x 9'H - so getting good bass is a challenge.

The series Gene @ Audioholics has done on YouTube with Anthony Grimani combined with the new post-COVID norm has me considering moving to another room that seldom gets used but is bigger so that we can actually use the "Office" as an office full-time going forward as it doesn't appear that we'll ever be back into the office 5 days/week again.

That other space has challenges as well. For one, it's pretty much a square at 14' x 14'9" x 9'. Second it's currently got an 8' opening to the foyer. We discussed potentially redoing that wall to include a set of pocket doors that will allow it to remain open to the rest of the house when not "in use".

The added breathing room over my current space would be welcome. Watching the Get Good Bass series has me wondering if utilizing multi-subs (likely only 2 to start) and some EQ would be enough to overcome the room modes that a room with those dimensions has.

In my current space I've installed DIY soffit traps around the entire permitter that measure about 10" x 18" and are filled with S&S. Not sure I'll be able to mimic that level of treatment in the formal living room though since it is one of the first things you see as you walk in the door.

Thoughts on whether the effort, both construction and bass management/optimization, would be worthwhile or am I just trading one problem for pretty much the same problem in a slightly bigger room?

Bill

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My requirements in order of importance are:

1) the speakers should be 1 meter away from all reflective surfaces, so should the listening position. otherwise you will have peaks and dips above 80Hz.

2) the second requirement is the room being rectangular with 'regular' dimensions (for subwoofer placement)

3) the third criteria is the room in which i can maximize the ratio of direct sound / reflected sound (sit closer to the speakers).

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
square tends to "stack up" room modes

you can add more tmts. or... build a wall to turn it into a rectangle if it's big enough

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would keep the smaller room that you already put all the acoustic treatment into. Just add multi-sub + EQ to that and your problems will go away.

Well, not totally, but you can definitely get to the point where you need a measurement mic to find flaws instead of your ears.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

Yeah, I realize neither option is great but to switch things up does add quite a bit more expense. A determining factor will likely be how the whole RTO plan goes with our companies.

I’ve already got a UMIK-1 and am somewhat familiar with REW so that shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve integrated subs before, just not multiple ones.

Hipper

You don't mention the position of your speakers and listening chair in your current (smaller) room. Is there scope for moving them about to improve the bass region?

I use a form of 'The Thirds' which works for me in a 14' x 13' x 8' but I also use lots of room treatment. The Thirds may look silly in a small room but it works for me:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

I also use a digital equaliser to refine the frequency response after positioning and room treatment.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

@Hipper - good point. Before COVID turned that room into a makeshift office I too followed the rule of thirds and experimented with it versus the speaker manufacturer's recommendation.

As an office the layouts had to change. Out went the lounge chair & ottoman and in came the desk and desk chair. The speakers are now up as close to the front wall as they'll go with the listening position forming an equilateral triangle. Thanks to their ability to compensate for this placement I'm actually getting better (flatter) bass response than I was previously which frankly shocked me.

So yes, both spaces would/are "dedicated" so there is flexibility in terms of speaker and listening position. My thought was that the bigger but squarer space would be even more flexible in the quality of sound that I could achieve. I'm looking at potentially going back to a "traditional" setup with passive speakers and dual subs.

Hipper

All I can add then is my room is virtually square but positioning, lots of room treatment and some EQ has done the job.

I thought the problem in your larger room was that room treatment was not so acceptable. Some room treatment and more DSP/EQ may work.

Another idea is that I've read that those with square rooms have had success with a diagonal arrangement.

If the foyer was in the middle of the wall it might be best that it is behind your listening position.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

The wife seems open to installing a pocket door to close off the living room whilst music is playing so that’s an option.

@Hipper are you using multi-subs in your setup? The other ”plus” the living room has going for it is that four subs are a possibility which they’re not in my current room.

Hipper

The wife seems open to installing a pocket door to close off the living room whilst music is playing so that’s an option.

@Hipper are you using multi-subs in your setup? The other ”plus” the living room has going for it is that four subs are a possibility which they’re not in my current room.

I don't use any subs, just full range floor standing speakers. I've never used subs and can't really advise on them.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with having an opening in a room as long as it's at the back. On one side it would unbalance things (openings on both sides might be good) and I'm not sure about the front - it would feel odd I think but may sound OK. Symmetry would be the key.

Of course a hole in the wall has an obvious disadvantage - it will mean others can hear more of the music and the listener can hear more of others!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a hole or opening acts like a port

Top Bottom