• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decrease Room Reflections in a Hexagon Room

DraNard

First Post on this website, hoping to get some feedback on this.

I just bought a house and the middle room was the only room that made sense to turn into an office/studio. I currently have a pair of Yamaha HS-7's and was considering purchasing LP-6's or IN-5 since they claim to work well for near-field (.8m) mixing and they are tuned for smaller rooms.

Problem: Most info I've seen is for rooms that are square/rectangular shaped.
Main Goal: Decrease reflections for recording vocals and mixing on speakers (I also have a knock off of a Kaotica Eyeball that helps a bit)
Budget: $500 Max (I don't plan to live in this house forever so I'm not trying to buy invest thousands into this room)

Here's my current room spec:
  1. HAS Drop Ceiling
  2. Bare floor (no rugs)

RoomSetup.png

molybdamu

Just based on the drawing I'd flip the the desk 180° to the opposite wall so it's on a symmetrical axis.

OP
D

DraNard

Just based on the drawing I'd flip the the desk 180° to the opposite wall so it's on a symmetrical axis.
I considered that but the desk doesn’t sit flush against the back wall AND the window has complete different acoustic reflections compared to the wall on the wall.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
LP-6's or IN-5 since they claim to work well for near-field (.8m) mixing and they are tuned for smaller rooms.
I'm not sure what that means, but I guess sometimes no bass is better than bad bass and bass tends to be a problem in small untreated rooms.

I always say "diagnosis before treatment", so if you want to do any "serious treatment" a measurement mic is about $100 USD and REW software is free.

Anything "soft" on the walls will help with high-to-mid frequencies. With a limited budget you can potentially cover more area with decorative rugs or blankets than with acoustic tiles. A rug on the floor will probably help.

Also anything that breaks-up and diffuses/randomize the reflected waves can help at mid & higher frequencies. At 100Hz, the wavelength is about 10-feet (proportionally longer when you go lower) so these waves don't break-up and diffuse, or absorb, easily.

EQ, which can be free in software, can help with standing wave peaks/anti-nodes but you can't make-up for dips/nodes where the soundwaves cancel. Bass traps can help with both by knocking-down the reflected waves, but they are expensive.

ozzy9832001

Try the desk caddy cornered in the bottom right. Will give you symmetry and will cause reflections to bounce past listening position.

If you have a sub, then I'd place the sub halfway along one of the 2 walls nearest the desk. If no sub, then corner loading won't be an issue.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the vocal recording, is your position flexible? IME vocals are vulnerable to every type of room interference, from bass modes on up. If you can move the vocal recording position you can probably avoid some issues.

Top Bottom