• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening Room/Audio Build

joefig44

I'm looking to have a music listening area on the main floor as:
A. My amazing Revel F328Be -based HT with 3x PSA TV2112 subs, etc. is in the basement and I never wish to sit down there just to listen to music as I often like to do during the day. I'm always in that space to watch something instead, albeit I get just incredible acoustics for music there with the room treatments and all.
B. My great room has Sonos Play 5s in cubbies with 2x Sonos subs, and the room and space are a gigantic open area - I can't do much more there to get it to my hifi listening room standards, especially since it's a sacred area for my wife. See my thread discussing a previous path I explored for this area.

Wife has agreed to upgrade our office and allow for a space for a 2ch. hifi listening area for me on the main floor.
I have a great system (Revel F328Be, etc.) in a HT configuration with projector and big subwoofers down in the basement, but I never find myself down there just listening to music as I'd rather be up on the main floor doing that.

This room build needs to meet her aesthetic approval in every way - and if I'm too constrained on getting to what I envision being a true hifi/audiophile listening room, I'll just abandon that.

This office space would be dual-purpose - it would function with a built-in desk and raised cabinetry along the long TV wall (to the right in the first photo) that would have the TV/computer monitor, PC, etc., but would also have a 2ch. listening function with speakers placed 3' or so max in front of the left/right windows and likely an audio cabinet in between them. I'd then have an Eames-style chair out in the middle more or less.

The room dimensions are 10' x 14' and the height is two fold (as show in 2nd picture) where the taller area is 11.5' and the lower area with the pot lights is 10.5'.

Aesthetics are extremely important - we would be going with custom built ins for the desk/cabinetry along the long wall on the left, and I wouldn't be able to add any acoustic panels at all or anything like that.
There will be soft curtains added over the existing windows' california shutters and a thick rug over the hardwood.

I could not add a subwoofer in this room.

Furthermore, my speaker cabinetry choices would need to aesthetically match while also meeting my expectations for acoustics given the limitations on treating the room (think Sonos Faber-like cabinetry).

The good thing is that budget is extensive, so not too constrained there - just need to make it the best acoustically with what I have to work with.

I'm wondering if I would be ok with bookshelves on stands or if I should target elegant looking floor standing speakers? Floor standing speakers would be permissible if they match and blend well into the room aesthetically and don't stand out like behemoths. Wood grain cabinetry is ideal.

I'd also like some recommendations on what I'm likely facing in regards to room acoustics in a room such as this (i.e. is it a lost cause or something to work with?)

BTW - all furnishings you see in this room is going to go replaced by new desk, lounge chair, cabinetry, etc.
Property Furniture Table Desk Picture frame

Light Lighting Interior design Wood Fixture

img_1226-jpg.3564417

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not many suggestions for you, but looks like a fun project!

benanders

Sounds like more of a lifestyle- than dedicated listening space-project from your description. Adventure!

Re: no sub - you might look into Gallo Acoustics profile sub. Designed to go behind/underneath furniture. Might help given how restricted and problematic your options sound (pun!) ;)

OP
J

joefig44

Sounds like more of a lifestyle- than dedicated listening space-project from your description. Adventure!

Re: no sub - you might look into Gallo Acoustics profile sub. Designed to go behind/underneath furniture. Might help given how restricted and problematic your options sound (pun!) ;)
Yes, it's true. Neither of us do much office work here, but we figure we need to dress it up as a start to actually modernizing various parts of the house.

I'm now leaning towards a Sonus Faber Sonetto III, of Sonetto V - or possibly a Revel F226Be if I can sell my wife on the brown colour (hard to do after I showed her pictures of the Sonus Fabers.

That sub looks fantastic, but I'll have to first see how the room comes together with her furnishings to see if I can hide it somewhere.

Top Bottom