• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

cistercian

Forum Donor
Audio reviewers need a hard pivot. There is a job for them in a post-measurement world, but none of them has enough power on their own to bring about the needed change.
Many reviewers rely on free review samples and advertising from the companies whose products they review, and it discourages them from being honest and incisive.

It’s exactly like that. Why would it not be? It’s not necessarily even a scam, but it is a set of impressions based around measurements that can’t be repeated. No two people have the same ears, no two subjective impressions are identical. Objective impressions are identical and repeatable, which is more valuable to you when forming your own unique subjective opinion.

The above linked video of DAC comparisons begins with the kind of statement used by salesmen in the audiophool world.
Paraphrase "these Dacs probably all sound the same to laypeople, but we know different".

This is hilarious to me since the statement is manipulative..."you are special like me and you can tell the difference".
So right off the bat you have joined the society of audiophile. You are now BETTER than a mere layperson and can
truly hear the differences.
This is exactly how overpriced cables and all manner of rip off crap is sold. The reviewer is trying to get as many clicks as
possible...nothing like telling the hapless viewer that they are now in the club, the special few. It is so transparent
it is laughable.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In many countries advertising standards regulation has called time on unsubtantiated claims-in the UK where I live companies like Naim have been on the wrong end of regulatory enforcement for making false claims about their products. Imagine though, that instead of lying about the properties of their products, manufacturers recruit a legion of useful idiots who can spew a never ending stream of false claims on YouTube and the regulator can’t do a damn thing because this is ‘journalism’.

Even better, why not have an engineer who designs your, let’s say over priced dacs covered in multi coloured lights, spout unsubstantiated bullshit at conferences, and share it on YouTube. Don’t stop there though, have him pop up in forums too, and do interviews with YouTube pundits relaying all of the things that the advertising standards authority would clamp down on if you were stupid enough to say them in a publication with your brand on it. But your brand isn’t on these claims is it, because although the name of this engineer is synonymous with your brand, he’s not speaking on behalf of you; it’s just his unregulated ‘opinion’.

I made the above point in the comments section of the YouTube channel of a pundit who we shall call ‘Donnie’ for the purposes of this discussion. Well, the comments section on that thread was shutdown more quickly than a power amp dropped in a bathtub. Touchy, touchy.

Last edited:

CMB

In many countries advertising standards regulation has called time on false claims-in the UK where I live companies like Naim have been on the wrong end of regulatory enforcement for making false claims about their products. Imagine though, that instead of lying about the properties of their products, manufacturers recruit a legion of useful idiots who can spew a never ending stream of false claims on YouTube and the regulator can’t do a damn thing because this is ‘journalism’.

Even better, why not have an engineer who designs your, let’s say over priced dacs covered in multi coloured lights, spout unsubstantiated bullshit at conferences, and share it on YouTube. Don’t stop there though, have him pop up in forums too, and do interviews with YouTube pundits relaying all of the things that the advertising standards authority would clamp down on if you were stupid enough to say them in a publication with your brand on it. But your brand isn’t on these claims is it, because although the name of this engineer is synonymous with your brand, he’s not speaking on behalf of you; it’s just his unregulated ‘opinion’.

I made the above point in the comments section of the YouTube channel of a pundit who we shall call ‘Donnie’ for the purposes of this discussion. Well, the comments section on that thread was shutdown more quickly than a power amp dropped in a bathtub. Touchy, touchy.

Sounds so familiar, isn't it? Disinformation as marketing tool, if only it could affect only the Audio industry...

pompecukor

How many people do you think believe the earth is flat? Same kind of fact. As in... It isn't.

Wait... what? It sure is! how else would it be carried on the back of four elephants, which are standing on the back of a turtle? Explain that to me.
It is a well know fact and stands to reason. If it was not flat it would roll of their back.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wait... what? It sure is! how else would it be carried on the back of four elephants, which are standing on the back of a turtle? Explain that to me.
It is a well know fact and stands to reason. If it was not flat it would roll of their back.

You forgot about the hot buttered cat array underneath it all.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
I would never use Sweetwater. I had it out with them a few years ago over a delay in shipping. Instead of helping me, they removed every trace of me from their system. They think everyone should pay MSRP because they know it all. Screw them!
I've bought an AD1-2 PRO FS and an ADI-2 PRO FS R from them and various other gear. I've never had an issue. Shipping has always been fast and free. I've never paid anything approaching MSRP, I've always had pay with no interest over three years (because I can), and their after sales service has been exemplary. I have no idea why your experience has been so different.
I recommended that a friend buy an ADI-2 DAC from them and he had an identical experience (although he did "name drop" for whatever that might be worth).

catman

Forum Donor
A quick question, if I may.

I recently bought this device, and am really enjoying it. I connect it to a RPi4 running Ropiee, a Roon endpoint OS. It all works quite seamlessly. For those who are wondering, the amp stage on this is simply outstanding too.

That said, not being an engineer by training, I am really struggling to make sense of some parts of the manual. In particular, I have a question about the use of headphones.

The manual states that headphones can be blown if the unit is run with high power.

I find that my Senn 650 does need high power. I am a bit concerned, just reading the specs, that I might blow my other phones if I run them in high power. Yet, in the only experiment that I did — with the LCD-1, there was a warning when I inserted the TRS plug when the device was set for high power. With the low power setting, the volume was too low.

I would be grateful if someone could please help me understand this. I did email the manufacturer, but alas, have received no response.

Thanks in advance to the kind soul who helps me out here!

PS. My other phones referred to above are:
Denon AH-D5000s
— Audeze LCD-1
— Audeze LCD-X
— Meze 99 Classics

PipHelix

I've bought an AD1-2 PRO FS and an ADI-2 PRO FS R from them and various other gear. I've never had an issue. Shipping has always been fast and free. I've never paid anything approaching MSRP, I've always had pay with no interest over three years (because I can), and their after sales service has been exemplary. I have no idea why your experience has been so different.
I recommended that a friend buy an ADI-2 DAC from them and he had an identical experience (although he did "name drop" for whatever that might be worth).

So, uh, what’s the scoop on the “I've always had pay with no interest over three years (because I can)” deal? I’d be down to buy one that way. Is that through a retailer or your bank or credit union or something?

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
I'm looking for this DAC but have two questions about it :
- I will connect this DAC to the same power strip as my actives speakers. Does this DAC has an internal memory that remember the last parameters? Does this DAC automatically turn on when powered?
- I would like to do acoustic correction with REW. Is it possible to create and export presets for the ADI-2?

jae

Major Contributor
Is the EQ on both the dac and pro configurable by channel (I want independent/differrent EQ on each channel)?

catman

Forum Donor
So, uh, what’s the scoop on the “I've always had pay with no interest over three years (because I can)” deal? I’d be down to buy one that way. Is that through a retailer or your bank or credit union or something?

I don't know about this vendor, but B&H do waive taxes if you pay through their method, and ship for free.

danadam

Is the EQ on both the dac and pro configurable by channel (I want independent/differrent EQ on each channel)?
Yes, from Pro or DAC manual:
Dual EQ
OFF or ON. Default: OFF. When set to ON, the 5-band parametric equalizer can be set individually for left and right channel.
These days many people suffer from hearing loss in varying degrees. No
matter if it is biological, from abuse or an accident - hearing impaired is a plague of modern
times. And – no surprise when thinking about it – it never affects both ears identically. The num-
ber of people having one sided hearing problems is huge, but they have learned to live with an
industry that totally ignores them. Although the solution is as simple as logical – have the EQ be
adjustable independently for left and right. Basically digital EQs are calculated this way, the
common controls are just for making it easier to operate. The ADI-2 Pro includes an option
called Dual EQ – a heaven send feature for many, for sure.

Of course a 5-band parametric EQ is also suitable for speaker and room correction, another
application where separate EQ left/right setups are necessary.

ElNino

I'm looking for this DAC but have two questions about it :
- I will connect this DAC to the same power strip as my actives speakers. Does this DAC has an internal memory that remember the last parameters? Does this DAC automatically turn on when powered?
- I would like to do acoustic correction with REW. Is it possible to create and export presets for the ADI-2?

Yes, it remembers the last parameters, and it remembers different sets of parameters for each output. So you can have a different settings for each headphone jack and for the rear connection to your active speakers.

If you last left it on when the power went out, it will automatically turn on when powered.

There's no way that I'm aware of to provide it with a file to load a specific EQ.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I know, but loading any presets (for the full configuration) is a feature I'd love. It would make it possible to automate measurements. Maybe @MC_RME has some info.

Top Bottom