• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

MadMan

"You should only be bothered by this other bad thing instead because humans aren't capable of caring about more than one thing" - what stupid logic. News flash - there's always something worse happening in the world.

Or, don't be a hypocrite, and apply that dumb logic to yourself by not making useless, 0 contribution troll posts because of whatever bad thing is happening.

Last edited:

PipHelix

"You should only be bothered by this other bad thing instead because humans aren't capable of caring about more than one thing" - what stupid logic. News flash - there's always something worse happening in the world.

Or, don't be a hypocrite, and apply that dumb logic to yourself by not making useless, 0 contribution troll posts because of whatever bad thing is happening.

Thanks for the advice, MadMan, and enjoy your DAC.

Have a happy New Year! And I hope you can find a way to be less mad in 2021 and beyond! You’ll live longer!

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
RME ADI-2 Pro as a Monitor Controller

Having previously owned the original ADI-2 Pro, I found it to be a great centre-piece for a small home studio. The ADC section became my primary recording input channels, and the DSP allowed me to setup the DAC section as a terrific monitor controller. The following is a slightly edited copy of a thread I started a couple of years ago in the RME User Forum, I'm hoping it might help show some of the flexibility and the capabilities of this amazing unit to those that are new to it or have been thinking about using it in a small studio:

I've setup my ADI-2 Pro as a monitor controller. It can provide one-button selection of USB or DAC mode, selecting between two sets of speakers (one balanced, the other unbalanced), mono L+R, mono L-R, and use of headphone or speakers. These are functions that are commonly used when tracking, mixing, or mastering.

In my case, I'm using it to alternate between using my primary speakers (Focal Shape 50's) full-range, or using them with subs (SVS SB-2000's) with appropriate high-pass and low-pass filters. I'll describe my setup, but you could do something similar for two sets of full-range speakers, as long as you don't mind running one of them unbalanced.

One aspect of the ADI-2 PRO that is not given the credit it deserves is that the four push-buttons on the front can be programmed to change configuration items and to call up a preset. What makes this incredibly powerful is that each of the 9 presets can have the four buttons programmed independently.

I have 8 presets programmed using the ADI-2 PRO's eq, mono, phase reverse, and mute capabilities to give me:

1) Focal's connected balanced (XLR jacks on back) with an ADI-2 PRO high-pass filter, 80 Hz at 12 dB/octave and the sub's connected unbalanced (3/4 TRS jack on front) with an ADI-2 PRO low-pass filter, 80 Hz at 12 dB/octave.

2) Focal's balanced (XLR jacks on back) full-range, with sub's muted.

3) Focal's balanced full-range, mono, with sub's muted.

4) Focal's balanced full-range, mono, right channel reversed phase, with sub's muted

The above presets are used with the ADI-2 Pro fed digitally from my multi-channel interface. Presets 5, 6, 7, and 8 duplicate the same presets but fed from the ADI-2 PRO USB, sometimes I like to use the ADI-2 PRO as my interface.

Then I set up the push-buttons so that encoder 1 (VOL) alternates between preset 1 and 5 (DAC and USB modes), encoder 2 (I/0) alternates between preset 2 and 6, etc. In each Preset, the push-buttons are set up so that pressing the same button alternates between DAC and USB mode, but pressing a different button selects the relevant preset in the same mode as currently set.

By the way, I use Sennheiser 600's plugged into the front HP 1/2 jack and can switch back and forth between any of the speaker config's and full-range headphones by just pressing the Volume knob for half a second.

It might sound complicated, but using it is really, really simple and it's amazingly versatile! In my case, the ADI-2 Pro does everything I need in a monitor controller, without the extra expense and signal degradation of a separate controller. An additional monitor controller with the same functions and with equivalent signal quality would be very expensive, comparable in cost to the ADI-2 Pro itself, so for this use the ADI-2 Pro is a real bargain!

I'm really looking forward to a similar setup with the PRO FS R BE that I just ordered! The remote may make some of these things even easier, I'll soon see. A big difference this time will be my primary interface, the RME AIO Pro that I also just ordered. This will give me an extra two channels of high-quality (hopefully) input-output, plus about the lowest latency that's currently available. I can hardly wait!

If you ever write an updated version of this for the remote model I'll make it a sticky in our forum.

LesC

If you ever write an updated version of this for the remote model I'll make it a sticky in our forum.
Thank you Matthias, I will definitely do that. RME Shop has shipped, but it will take a couple of weeks to get to me.

Honestly, even for just use as a monitor controller, the ADI-2 Pro is an amazing value. The monitor controllers I was considering were the Antelope Audio Satori ($2699 CAD), Grace Design M905 ($4587 CAD), and the Crane Song Avocet IIA ($4249). I got the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for $2196 CAD. The others have some additional functionality which would benefit larger studios, but for a small studio the ADI-2 Pro is perfect. I've had Dangerous Music and Drawmer monitor controllers in the past, but the ADI-2 Pro is in another league.

Having used Burl B2 ADC, Lynx Hilo, and various others in the past, I was also considering a high-end ADC, including the Mytek Digital Brooklyn ADC at $2568 CAD. Using the ADI-2 Pro as a monitor controller, the additional cost for the superb ADC is approximately $0 CAD. Quite a bargain!

To ensure low-latency for virtual instruments I've also ordered an AIO Pro. Having used RME interfaces for the last 20 years or so, I know that RME USB drivers are the best, I just don't trust my computer configuration, getting latencies in the order of 14 ms at 96k. I figure the pcie AIO Pro will give me great latencies regardless of my sub-optimal PC setup, as well as additional IO for mixing or mastering through external analog devices.

The only thing I will miss is Totalmix FX (including the FX). I wish you could find a way to provide a "light" version of Totalmix FX on the ADI-2 Pro, even if it would mean an alternate firmware version without the features of the current firmware. I realize that might cannibalize the sales of some of your other interfaces, but it would be a real gift to those of us who want your best convertors (ADI-2 Pro) but can't additionally justify another interface (such as UFX) just for the Totalmix FX. Please note, this is not a complaint, your products are an amazing value as they are!

Tigi

@ezra_s @rodtor :

Many thanks for your observations. It seems that this may indeed have something to do with the state of electricity in our old house. After further testing, I found out that it is not a normal whistling, but rather such a (difficult to describe) quiet sound of the switched on electrical device. From 30-40 cm further from the device it is almost impossible to hear, so practically non-issue. As I observed by gradually connecting and disconnecting various components, the blu-ray player or CD transport are even louder in this respect. I may be a little hypersensitive to these high frequencies, so I'm trying to deal with things that aren't really relevant sometimes.

CrispCusp

Hi All, not been on here long but have discovered this forum to great delight. As such I may be putting this in the wrong thread so apologies (and ignore, delete, ban :p) if so.. I've heard a few reports that the adi-2 fs has quite a flat '2D' presentation of music.. incredible detail retrieval, very low noise floor (backed up by this great review) etc but somewhat 'lacking' in the depth department.

Have any of you lot experienced the same with the adi-2 fs V2 when comparing to others of similar/greater quality? If so did you find any workaround? (Filter types, cross-feed settings, monitors vs headphones etc?). Hoping to have my cake and eat it since I have one of these units and the only gripe I have is hearing/reading about other DACs 'feeling' more immersive and 3D.. is this the usual audiophile conjecture or in any way quantifiable (Minute timing discrepancies at certain frequencies causing interesting phase characteristics?! Is this measurable?!?) Thank you CC

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Hi All, not been on here long but have discovered this forum to great delight. As such I may be putting this in the wrong thread so apologies (and ignore, delete, ban :p) if so.. I've heard a few reports that the adi-2 fs has quite a flat '2D' presentation of music.. incredible detail retrieval, very low noise floor (backed up by this great review) etc but somewhat 'lacking' in the depth department.

Have any of you lot experienced the same with the adi-2 fs V2 when comparing to others of similar/greater quality? If so did you find any workaround? (Filter types, cross-feed settings, monitors vs headphones etc?). Hoping to have my cake and eat it since I have one of these units and the only gripe I have is hearing/reading about other DACs 'feeling' more immersive and 3D.. is this the usual audiophile conjecture or in any way quantifiable (Minute timing discrepancies at certain frequencies causing interesting phase characteristics?! Is this measurable?!?) Thank you CC

2D, flat, color and all those adjectives, I would leave them at the door in these forums.

Since I am not knowledgeable I am not going to tell you any details, but will let you know about my first experience.

My first test when I was starting was, through my integrated, in one input I had the analog output from my cd player, in the other input of the integrated was the optical output of my cd player passing through the rme adi-2, two different dacs, two different inputs, volume level matched. I started switching inputs to check the differences.. Did I notice any difference despite one had burr-brown dac and the other AKM. None. 0. I was shocked.

rcstevensonaz

I got the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for $2196 CAD. The others have some additional functionality which would benefit larger studios, but for a small studio the ADI-2 Pro is perfect. ...

To ensure low-latency for virtual instruments I've also ordered an AIO Pro.
I am curious — why not just use the AIO Pro only? It has more input / output options than the ADI-2 Pro FS R, but uses the same AD/DA converters. You could bring your primary analog input directly into the the AIO Pro, even attach an additional analog inputs to that card, and then use the high-quality DAC for both analog out (XLR/RCA) and also for high-power monitoring phones? From RME's web site:

All inputs and outputs are simultaneously operational, even SPDIF (phono) and AES/EBU (XLR). Of course TotalMix, the unsurpassed flexible routing mixer and SteadyClock FS, RME's sensational clock technology with maximum jitter suppression of external clock signals, are on board too. HDSPe AIO Pro also supports the optional TCO for synchronization to timecode (LTC/video).
The new HDSPe AIO Pro is based on the reference processors AK5572 and AK4490 derived from the high-end AD/DA converter ADI-2 Pro.

The only thing I will miss is Totalmix FX (including the FX). I wish you could find a way to provide a "light" version of Totalmix FX on the ADI-2 Pro, even if it would mean an alternate firmware version without the features of the current firmware. I realize that might cannibalize the sales of some of your other interfaces, but it would be a real gift to those of us who want your best convertors (ADI-2 Pro) but can't additionally justify another interface (such as UFX) just for the Totalmix FX. Please note, this is not a complaint, your products are an amazing value as they are!
Yes!!! Please RME, yes.

That said, the AIO Pro you are ordering comes with TotalMix FX. Is there a reason you would also need UFX to use TotalMix FX? It seems you would already be able to do everything on the AIO Pro; and you could also manage the USB Input/Out from the ADI-2 Pro as well.

On a separate note: my wish is that the ADI-2 Pro had a second USB, where one is for external USB source (in or out), and the other USB is the internal mix loop (USB in/out) with 8x8 capability. In which case, the added source input USB device in stereo mode becomes channels 7 & 8 on the multi-channel USB in/out mix loop; or the added source USB in multi-channel input mode would sends all channels to the mix loop. And if RME really wants to go crazy, they could add two USBs so you can have both an external USB source, and then also an external USB target, while still retaining the functionality of the USB send/receive FX mix loop for mid-audio stream mixing & effects processing on a separate processing system.

LesC

I am curious — why not just use the AIO Pro only? It has more input / output options than the ADI-2 Pro FS R, but uses the same AD/DA converters. You could bring your primary analog input directly into the the AIO Pro, even attach an additional analog inputs to that card, and then use the high-quality DAC for both analog out (XLR/RCA) and also for high-power monitoring phones? From RME's web site:

All inputs and outputs are simultaneously operational, even SPDIF (phono) and AES/EBU (XLR). Of course TotalMix, the unsurpassed flexible routing mixer and SteadyClock FS, RME's sensational clock technology with maximum jitter suppression of external clock signals, are on board too. HDSPe AIO Pro also supports the optional TCO for synchronization to timecode (LTC/video).
The new HDSPe AIO Pro is based on the reference processors AK5572 and AK4490 derived from the high-end AD/DA converter ADI-2 Pro.

There are several reasons I can't use the AIO Pro by itself for my purposes:

1. The AIO does not have a physical volume control or the ability to switch between two sets of speakers, so it can't function as a monitor controller without adding extra equipment. The ADI-2 is perfect for this.

2. The AIO Pro only offers 2 channels of analog I/O, I need 4. So I get this with the addition of the ADI-2 Pro FSR BE.

3. The AIO Pro uses the same convertors as the ADI-2 Pro, NOT the upgraded convertors in the ADI-2 PRO FSR BE. So the ADI-2 will be my primary channels, the AIO will be my secondary channels.

4. The AIO being a PCI-E card, has a better chance of noise pollution from within the PC, as opposed to the ADI-2 which will be in the next room. I've experienced this before with PCI-E sound cards.

That said, the AIO Pro you are ordering comes with TotalMix FX. Is there a reason you would also need UFX to use TotalMix FX? It seems you would already be able to do everything on the AIO Pro; and you could also manage the USB Input/Out from the ADI-2 Pro as well.

The AIO Pro comes with TotalMix FX, but without the effects. I would like the effects to get latency-free eq, compression, and reverb to the singer's headphones so that they can have a bit of inspiration instead of just their dry voice. It makes a difference. I'm hoping the latency of the AIO Pro will be good enough to monitor through the DAW with appropriate eq/compression/reverb plugins.

Last edited:

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
There are several reasons I can't use the AIO Pro by itself for my purposes:

1. The AIO does not have a physical volume control or the ability to switch between two sets of speakers, so it can't function as a monitor controller without adding extra equipment.

That would be the ARC USB. Not that expensive, though. And I would recommed it to any RME user anyway.

2. The AIO Pro only offers 2 channels of analog I/O, I need 4.

There are 4 separated channels on the output side, though. XLR/Line + TRS Line/Phones. But yes, adding the Pro will bring more
analog channels.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor

apologies but it’s a bit unclear to me.
I need to have analog and digital sources and 4 channels of analog out (going to active speakers). So I would like to be able to switch inputs and control output volume via the remote.
As mentioned, it’s not clear to me from the manual whether this is possible.

Olli

Forum Donor
@MC_RME , I was just reading through the manual on Multi-Interface Operation and wondering if this means that I could build a volume remote controlled 16 CH analogue out (virtual) interface by combining an ADI-2 Pro FS R and a Fireface UFX+ that on top could make use of the Loudness function for all outputs?

"25.4 Multi-interface Operation
The current driver supports up to three RME devicesof the MADIface series.All units have to be in sync, i.e. have to receive valid digital sync information.The ADI-2 Pro can therefore be used simultaneously with a MADIface XT, MADIface USB, MADIface Pro, Fireface UFX+, or just an-other ADI-2 Pro. Under ASIO all devices are presented as one ASIO device with all available channels as I/Os. "

Last edited:

CrispCusp

2D, flat, color and all those adjectives, I would leave them at the door in these forums.

Since I am not knowledgeable I am not going to tell you any details, but will let you know about my first experience.

My first test when I was starting was, through my integrated, in one input I had the analog output from my cd player, in the other input of the integrated was the optical output of my cd player passing through the rme adi-2, two different dacs, two different inputs, volume level matched. I started switching inputs to check the differences.. Did I notice any difference despite one had burr-brown dac and the other AKM. None. 0. I was shocked.

Thanks for your input ezra_s. I suppose I'm mostly curious as to wether the anecdotally-perceptible 'depth' of a DAC can be measured, potentially as a phase characteristic of the lower amplitude frequencies in a broadly dynamic signal(?). I imagine this is something that might be attainable via DSP in the same way that 'width' can; though pondering on wether there may be an inherent DAC decoding/filter trait that may enhance this in some cases, that might verify some of those opinions?

Whenever I hear the Audiophile adject-spiel I wonder what can be measured, (warmth = high frequency roll off etc). Hence my interest in this forum! Probably something for another thread but reluctant to write off opinions that aren't scientific, more curious about ways of quantifying them all.

LesC

That would be the ARC USB. Not that expensive, though. And I would recommed it to any RME user anyway.

Yes, the ARC USB is great! If I wasn't concerned about my crappy old Windows PC spewing electromagnetic interference to the AIO Pro, especially the unbalanced headphone output, I would have more seriously considered this solution. But the ADI-2 Pro FSR BE looks so cool!

There are 4 separated channels on the output side, though. XLR/Line + TRS Line/Phones. But yes, adding the Pro will bring more
analog channels.

An additional consideration is that if I just want to play a guitar processor, such as my Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III or my Line 6 Helix digitally connected to the ADI-2 Pro, I can still use the ADI-2 Pro stand-alone as my monitor controller without having to boot up the PC.

rcstevensonaz

There are several reasons I can't use the AIO Pro by itself for my purposes: ...
Thanks for the reply; your insights are very helpful. And to be clear, I was not questioning your decision. Rather, I wanted to understand your decision process at a deeper level. I already have an under-used 4U Xeon server in the rack by my desk, and I've been questioning whether I should have ordered the AIO Pro card instead of (or in addition to) the ADI-2 Pro FSR. Based on your insights, the ADI-2 Pro FSR remains the right decision for me as well. [That said, I may also add an AIO Pro, RAYDAT, or Digiface USB to pick up more concurrent digital sources... though what I really need is support for more USB devices.]

3. The AIO Pro uses the same convertors as the ADI-2 Pro, NOT the upgraded convertors in the ADI-2 PRO FSR BE. So the ADI-2 will be my primary channels, the AIO will be my secondary channels.
Thanks! I was confused in my mind... I was thinking AK4490 was the top, and had confused that with the AK4499 (which is the top).

@MC_RME (or anyone else): is there a "product comparison" summary matrix anywhere that includes the key chips (e.g., ADC, SPDIF, USB, DAC) by product revision level? This would (a) make it easier to evaluate different products, and (b) allow easily pasting the link in the response message when people like me are confused.

The AIO Pro comes with TotalMix FX, but without the effects.
Thanks for the head's up on this. I had not realized that what is included with TotalMix FX varies by product.

LesC

Thanks for the reply; your insights are very helpful.

Thanks! I was confused in my mind... I was thinking AK4490 was the top, and had confused that with the AK4499 (which is the top).

Thanks for the head's up on this. I had not realized that what is included with TotalMix FX varies by product.

You're welcome for any help I might have offered. Yes, it's weird having a product called AIO (All-In-One) Pro with software called TotalMix FX, but it doesn't include FX. Why not call it just TotalMix or TotalMix Non-FX? I couldn't find this information on RME's AIO Pro product page. I wonder how many people will buy the AIO Pro and get a nasty surprise that effects are not included?

In my case, I may keep my MOTU 828es just for the effects. So use the ADI-2 Pro and AIO Pro combo for recording vocals, but also route the mic and preamp to the 828es for effects to the 828es headphone output for the singer. But if the AIO Pro has great latency even on my crappy old PC, I can just have the singer monitor through the DAW with effects plugins and I could sell the 828es.

The 828es routing/mixing/effects software is similar in concept to RME's TotalMix FX (with FX). But I HATE the MOTU sofware and I lLOVE TotalMix FX (with effects). Unfortunately, the least pricey RME box with TotalMix FX (with FX) is considerably more expensive than what I could get from selling the 828es.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn it, I was delighted with my rme, but now cutting edge research shows that it has the same ‘sound stage depth’ as a cell phone. I wasn’t clear whether he removed the dacs from his comparator cell phones to evaluate them or carried out some sort of clever audiophile deductive technique on the headphone output. I wanted to ask him but for some reason the comments are off, probably too learned for me to have grasped anyway:

Top Bottom