• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

hearone

Forum Donor
There was an older post stating the the RME ADI-2 FS would not be receiving any new firmware features due to some storage constraints.

Couple of questions:

1) Is that tor he current V2 ESS model also? Or just older ones. I assume the current one also based on context. Just want to verify.

2I Does no more FW udpdate limited to just new features on the current V2, but V2 it wll continue to get FW updates, as needed? Again, assume yes, but just want to verify my understanding.

Thanks. Strongly considering getting one based on very favorable reviews including this strong interest. And it seems a good value for all the features. Pretty impressive, HP amp, DSP, screen readouts and good DAC.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

unpluggged

Couple of questions:
1) There is no difference between the variants (BTW, the current ESS variant is the 3rd), and they all share the same firmware.

2) Which are the "new firmware features" that you think are missing from the device?

P.S. Might be useful to look on the RME forums. This matter has been discussed over there in thorough detail.

KSTR

Major Contributor
RME stated that they don't plan any new feature updates for all ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 Pro variants, only bug fixes and service updates. But RME were not RME if they wouldn't continue pushing the limits. Recently, a remote user interface and backup/restore utility/app was announced and partly delivered, as of today.

hearone

Forum Donor
1) There is no difference between the variants (BTW, the current ESS variant is the 3rd), and they all share the same firmware.

2) Which are the "new firmware features" that you think are missing from the device?

P.S. Might be useful to look on the RME forums. This matter has been discussed over there in thorough detail.Sincdf

Sorry, primary focus of question #2 is new FW limited to fixes as needed for current shipping units not features. Seems, yes. Will head over to RMI Owners's forums for details.

On needed features? - none, that I know. But you asked, so I would not cry if it had more than 5 bands someday. Heck, got to get one first to even know, since 5 is 5 more than my current DAC and I am impressed even that the non-PRO even has the feature. LOL

unpluggged

I would not cry if it had more than 5 bands someday
I understand, but they explained it long ago why it is not possible to add more bands with a firmware update. Also, you can now store also bass and treble values (gain and frequency, and Q-factor) with the EQ preset, so it's more like 7-band EQ now, albeit not as flexible as one would like it to be, I have to admit. But even in its current form, the EQ is arguably the most useful DSP feature of the ADI-2 series.

I am now eagerly waiting for the Windows version of the new remote control app for my ADI-2 Pro (this came as a real surprise due to the original absence of any software control facilities in the ADI-2 series).

hearone

Forum Donor

P.S. Might be useful to look on the RME forums. This matter has been discussed over there in thorough detail.
RME stated that they don't plan any new feature updates for all ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 Pro variants, only bug fixes and service updates. But RME were not RME if they wouldn't continue pushing the limits. Recently, a remote user interface and backup/restore utility/app was announced and partly delivered, as of today.
Yeah, I had noticed that new capability with the OS app that uses midi commands that requires a FW update. To a new person, it just seems best to get the latest scoop. They do seem serious about keeping the unit fresh and updated- impressive.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
But you asked, so I would not cry if it had more than 5 bands someday.
Yes. The manual explains why it’s five.

8.8. DSP Limitations

There is never enough DSP power – no matter how much you add (frustrated developer).

That is true even for the ADI-2 DAC. Although being equipped with a quite capable 2.17 Giga FLOPS DSP chip, plus using the FPGA to perform further calculations (RME’s virtual DSP for mixing/routing, level meters, filtering, Crossfeed), 768 kHz sample rate takes its toll. The calculation power available at 48 kHz is divided by 16 (!) then. Even at 384 kHz it is just 1/8 of that at 48 kHz. The DSP in the ADI- 2 Pro performs:

Bass/Treble and Loudness for 2 channels
5-band parametric EQ for 2 channels
Standard phase functions for 2 channels
Crossfeed for 2 channels
30-Band bi-quad bandpass filter spectral analyzer
Peak Level meters for all channels
Display rendering
Volume control on 2 channels
Several controller-like functions, like volume ramp-up, mute, signal routing control etc.
DSD to PCM conversion (for level meters)

At 48 kHz that is no big deal, at 192 kHz it already needs efficient coding and a better DSP chip. But at 768 kHz you need a DSP with 4 times the power of the ‘better’ one. Therefore there is no way around disabling some functions at higher sample rates. Fortunately those limitations have only small impact in real-world usage:

• At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ can be active, not both at the same time. Bass/Treble and Loudness are not available.

The high sample rates available in the ADI-2 DAC also exceed the capabilites of the digital input. Both AES and SPDIF are limited to 192 kHz, and there is no way around it. Therefore all higher sample rates are only usable analog and with USB. And in iOS mode when using an iPad/iPhone with an app that supports such high sample rates (Neutron, Onkyo HF-Player etc.).

I'm not aware of the no-go explanation @unplugged refers to, but I'd happily give up some of this if it would unlock five more bands and drop the center frequency and Q limitations.

Attachments

• adi2dac_e.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 318

unpluggged

I'm not aware of the no-go explanation @unplugged refers to, but I'd happily give up some of this if it would unlock five more bands and drop the center frequency and Q limitations.
Yes, I actually was referring to that chapter in the manual. And yes, I'd like to have more flexible EQ, as I said, but I do understand that it's not meant as a room EQ tool (alas), though it's adequate enough to equalize most headphones.

Trell

Major Contributor
RME has released an ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release app for Mac with Windows to come.

>>>...The ADI-2 Remote app (Mac and DAC first)
The app consists of several main pages: first one per output (Line Out, Phones Out, IEM Out), followed by the Toggle button, then a general Device page with all channel unrelated settings, and a PEQ Editor that can be used to edit, save or load PEQs without changing the currently active EQ (listen to music while you play with it…).

The app is interactive and fully synchronized. Change the volume on the unit or in the app – both will stay in sync. When toggle mode is active and Toogle is hit the current channel page will change accordingly. Same when plugging/unplugging phones when Mute vs.. is active. Etc. If no DAC is found the app enters Demo mode, so anyone interested can have a look. In fact it is possible to create or edit PEQs even while offline, and load and save these from/to disk.

The app itself has two Settings (formerly Preferences) directly from the app menu. One disables the automatic change of shown output page. The other one enables to load up to 20 PEQs simultaneously into the unit via a Setup file. This is a nice feature for copying device states quickly between units, but usually users want to have full control what to load and then only load one or the other PEQ to specific slots – that’s why this option is off by default.
Also please note that Setups can not be downloaded or stored in bulk. It is possible to load an existing Setup into the app, modify it, and store it back into the unit. But only a single one, so one after the other. ...<<<

There are screen shots in the link above, but here is one of them:

adi2remote_lineout.png

The app has been released as version 1.0 on MacOS and version 1.0 is waiting Apple’s approval for iPadOS.

Post #103 in the link below.

Gus141

The app has been released as version 1.0 on MacOS and version 1.0 is waiting Apple’s approval for iPadOS.

Post #103 in the link below.

The iPad app is available in US. Search in the App Store for “rme adi-2 remote”.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Listening to my early unit tonight. (AKM Chipset) Its preposterously excellent. What an amazing piece of gear. I am so happy with it!
Thanks RME and Amir for reviewing it. Such an excellent piece of equipment...its amazing....still.

What a fantastic DAC. It's EPIC!!!!!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

weme

ADI-2 Remote is also a cross-platform project ...
ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 2, Windows (for ADI-2 DAC) requires a graphics card that supports Direct3D 12 (Windos 10 or later).
Good for RME - a pity for (some) users

This is the background for the decision of the software development platform:

This is my "petition" to RME:
A very small additional program ("app") - which provides only the functions "Load / Store Setup" and runs under Windows 7 - should still be offered!

afinepoint

Forum Donor
I wasn't going to search 135 pages for the answer to this. This DAC was likely tested with the AK(4493?) Chipset. It now is built around ESS's ES9028Q2M. Is there a noticable tonal difference? Would there be? The AK was RME's chip of choice until it became unavailable. Tells me the ESS was their second choice.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't going to search 135 pages for the answer to this. This DAC was likely tested with the AK(4493?) Chipset. It now is built around ESS's ES9028Q2M. Is there a noticable tonal difference? Would there be? The AK was RME's chip of choice until it became unavailable. Tells me the ESS was their second choice.
No, unless you are a bat, dog or cat. Then, maybe

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company

afinepoint

Forum Donor
My search ability leaves a lot to be desired. MC it was just what I needed to know. Now I've got to decide if I need a $1300 DAC. I've an Apollon amp on the way.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My search ability leaves a lot to be desired. MC it was just what I needed to know. Now I've got to decide if I need a $1300 DAC. I've an Apollon amp on the way.

Thanks.
RME ADI-2 DAC + Apollon amp gets my highest recommendation!

pingufreddy

Kudos to Herr Meisner of RME for his enlightening post on page 7 of this forum. He states, in sum and and substance that any DAC with a volume control should be measured not merely at 0dBrms but also at “real life” listening levels: eg -20dBrms.

A volume control exclusively in the digital domain loses a dB of SNR (or more properly, SINAD) for every dB of attenuation. Thus a dac measuring at 120 dB at 0dB will have a “real life” SNR of 100 at -20; 90 dB at -30dB and so on. The noise floor remains constant while the signal is attenuated so the ratio slips bit by bit as the volume is reduced. (This assumes a volume that internally dithers at 24 bits on a 24 bit source. With 16 bits the loss is more pronounced: a 125dB signal at 0dB drops to 96 dB SNR at -20dBrms).
Alternately, a volume control exclusively in the analog domain raises a host of other noise issues: impedance problems, thermal noise from the resistors, amplifier noise (if there is one) etc.

The central point is that measurements that do not focus on what the product will do under actual listening conditions tell you not much about the dac as it will be used in real life. That is, in my view, absolutely at the core of why measurements are taken in the first place; i.e, how good will this thing sound in my headphones or through my speakers.

The solution devised by RME is ingenious: they put four “mechanical” steps in the output path (presumably resistors) to raise the output at discrete steps ( +1,+7,+13,19 dBu in balanced mode). As the volume is reduced in the digital domain and the dynamic headroom contracts, the dac/preamp increases the output to keep the SINAD relatively constant. His chart shows this nicely.
1691081496430.png

So, at 20 dB down, with the automatic mechnical “compensation” switched to “on” the SINAD is 113, then at 116 at about -16 etc. ( I think the way to read this chart is right to left. The drops in SINAD occur as the digital volume is turned down and before the next boost is applied mechanically). Without the analog compensation SINAD is 100dB at 20dBrms down).

To my mind this is fantastically important. Pretty much every dac these days comes with a volume control. Certainly every recent Topping and SMSL does. Why is this so? Because that’s the market; it’s relatively cheap and it’s convenient. But measurements seem obsessed with perfect world scenarios rather than real life listening. Herr Meissner has put his finger on something really important and has shown the excellence of his application. As he says: “when you use a standard DAC and only look at the SINAD at 0 dBFS you miss it all. How often do you use 0 dB volume? Most of the time people lower the volume, definitely so when using phones. You can take the best DAC ever measured at ASR- it has no chance against the ADI-2 DAC at a real-world volume setting of (for example) -20 dB.”

I would love to put this claim to the test. Does a Topping or other top dac fall by the wayside or do their implementations measure up to the RME ADI 2 under real world conditions. As far as I know there is no apples to apples to comparison. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Top Bottom