• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

staticV3

Master Contributor
For $10 you can not beat the apple dongle. I wonder if the TempoTec Sonata HD II beats it in performance and if it can actually output 2Vrms.
I have both and can do some measurements if you tell me what specifically you're interested in

AudioManNewb

I have both and can do some measurements if you tell me what specifically you're interested in
My use case is connected to a Atom Amp+. I assume the amp would prefer to be feed 2Vrms rather than the 1Vrms the apple feeds it. The ones amirm did in this review will be sufficient.

Smitty2k1

Hey everyone I just built a Raspberry Pi streamer using a Pi3 and the Apple dongle I had laying around. Had to buy a USB-A to USB-C adapter for the Pi but not bad for "free".

I'm running PiCorePlayer and playing music off a local server/NAS. This is plugged into my Marantz multi zone amp powering the in ceiling audio system throughout the house, so the sound is good enough!

I built the streamer since the Chromecast Audio I was using before didn't support gapless playback. However, the output from the Pi/Apple DAC is much lower than the Chromecast Audio. Is this likely a limitation of the Apple Dongle output or something else I may need to look through in settings?

We switch back and forth between inputs depending on who is controlling what zone and what they are listening to (e.g. casting Spotify or Pandora from a phone using the Chromecast vs. playing local FLACs from the Pi). Thus, the difference in levels/volumes is a bit annoying when switching inputs.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hey everyone I just built a Raspberry Pi streamer using a Pi3 and the Apple dongle I had laying around. Had to buy a USB-A to USB-C adapter for the Pi but not bad for "free".

I'm running PiCorePlayer and playing music off a local server/NAS. This is plugged into my Marantz multi zone amp powering the in ceiling audio system throughout the house, so the sound is good enough!

I built the streamer since the Chromecast Audio I was using before didn't support gapless playback. However, the output from the Pi/Apple DAC is much lower than the Chromecast Audio. Is this likely a limitation of the Apple Dongle output or something else I may need to look through in settings?

We switch back and forth between inputs depending on who is controlling what zone and what they are listening to (e.g. casting Spotify or Pandora from a phone using the Chromecast vs. playing local FLACs from the Pi). Thus, the difference in levels/volumes is a bit annoying when switching inputs.
  • Make sure printed on your dongle's cable is "A2049", not "A2155". The former can do 1.0Vrms, the latter is limited to 0.5Vrms.
  • Make sure your dongle is set to 100% hardware volume in the alsamixer window. Use "sudo alsactl store" to make your config persist between reboots.
  • Finally, use a basic multimeter and a 60Hz 0dBFS sine wave audio file to check your config and to make sure you're getting the full 1.0Vrms.

Smitty2k1

• Make sure printed on your dongle's cable is "A2049", not "A2155". The former can do 1.0Vrms, the latter is limited to 0.5Vrms.
  • Make sure your dongle is set to 100% hardware volume in the alsamixer window. Use "sudo alsactl store" to make your config persist between reboots.
  • Finally, use a basic multimeter and a 60Hz 0dBFS sine wave audio file to check your config and to make sure you're getting the full 1.0Vrms.
Thanks, I confirmed the dongle is the 2049 model. Alsamixer has the -U control to unmute and set to max volume and LMS has volume control disabled so it is at max.

I did notice in the PiCorePlayer Alsa setup it says I have headphones even though it is a line out, not sure if that's a function of the Apple dongle or the setup in PiCorePlayer

You have the following audio cards/controls:
Card 0: 'Headphones' - Control: 'Headphone'
Card 1: 'A' - Control: 'Headphone'

Smitty2k1

Following up - in the PiCorePlayer I had to go into ALSA Mixer settings. Apparently the volume there defaults to -40, and I set it to 0dB. Noticeable improvement in maximum volume, though I need to set my Chromecast Audio to 65% volume to match the Apple USB-C dongle's maximum volume. We use both Chromecast and the Pi in my household for the in-ceiling speaker system, so that is likely going to lead to some big volume swings. Here's a thread with more info about ASLA Mixer and the Apple dongle (though it is for Android not Pi/Linux): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-and-android-remove-the-power-limit.3917495/

Does anyone have a suggestion for one of these USB-3.5mm dongle/DACs that can output more than the Apple dongle? Looks like a lot of them have been reviewed here. Doesn't need to be perfect, but easily available in the US and less than $20 would be great.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Following up - in the PiCorePlayer I had to go into ALSA Mixer settings. Apparently the volume there defaults to -40, and I set it to 0dB. Noticeable improvement in maximum volume, though I need to set my Chromecast Audio to 65% volume to match the Apple USB-C dongle's maximum volume. We use both Chromecast and the Pi in my household for the in-ceiling speaker system, so that is likely going to lead to some big volume swings. Here's a thread with more info about ASLA Mixer and the Apple dongle (though it is for Android not Pi/Linux): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-and-android-remove-the-power-limit.3917495/

Does anyone have a suggestion for one of these USB-3.5mm dongle/DACs that can output more than the Apple dongle? Looks like a lot of them have been reviewed here. Doesn't need to be perfect, but easily available in the US and less than $20 would be great.
The Meizu HiFi puts out 2.0 Vrms

Bleib

Major Contributor
For $10 you can not beat the apple dongle. I wonder if the TempoTec Sonata HD II beats it in performance and if it can actually output 2Vrms.
Considering how easily they break I can't call them cheap

AudioManNewb

What other small USB devices perform the same or better than the apple dongle that output 2.0 Vrms?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Let me know when measurements are done.
I can't give you a complete report with dozens of tests, as I have to do everything manually. Tell me what measurements you'd like to see and I'll do those.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My use case is connected to a Atom Amp+. I assume the amp would prefer to be feed 2Vrms rather than the 1Vrms the apple feeds it. The ones amirm did in this review will be sufficient.
It shouldn't matter in absolute terms as the Atom is so clean, there isn't much penalty going into high gain. If you are using the amp in low gain happily with the Apple, I really wouldn't worry about swapping it out.

threni

Major Contributor
There are literally hundreds of dongles or thumbdrive-sized DAC+Amps that fit the bill.
Could you (indeed, anyone!) recommend a few, or point at reviews of them please? I'm using the UK Apple dongle and would like something a little more powerful as the volume is limited. I'm using a Pi and 120ohm Sennheiser HD 595 headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you (indeed, anyone!) recommend a few, or point at reviews of them please? I'm using the UK Apple dongle and would like something a little more powerful as the volume is limited. I'm using a Pi and 120ohm Sennheiser HD 595 headphones.
The usual suspects are Tempotec Sonata HD, Meizu Hifi, the THX Onyx (pricey) or the E1DA S3 or D (out of production/ stock) but also use the review database for thumb/ portable dac/ amps.

The issue that blights (some of ) them is a very location dependent interference from EMI/RFI- but it seems very much to depend what sources of those are in your home and locality, as well as phone network type in your area so its very hard to say which will and wont be affected for you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you'd like to stick to the same form factor, then there are only four dongles worth considering imo:
-the US version of the Apple dongle (A2049)
-Meizu HiFi (also sold as Meizu Master HiFi)
-Meizu HiFi Pro (production has ended, only available used)
-Ugreen HiFi Audio Pro (basically identical to Meizu HiFi Pro)

If you don't mind something with a larger, thumb drive style form factor, then there are many more option available, as Jimbob laid out.

threni

Major Contributor
The usual suspects are Tempotec Sonata HD, Meizu Hifi, the THX Onyx (pricey) or the E1DA S3 or D (out of production/ stock) but also use the review database for thumb/ portable dac/ amps.

The issue that blights (some of ) them is a very location dependent interference from EMI/RFI- but it seems very much to depend what sources of those are in your home and locality, as well as phone network type in your area so its very hard to say which will and wont be affected for you.
Thanks, this is for a small lego-based portable unit so I could try and find a sweet spot between blocking all RFI and still controlling it via wifi.
I looked at the database but there didn't seem to be many alternatives, and the price started to climb pretty quickly.

If you'd like to stick to the same form factor, then there are only four dongles worth considering imo:
-the US version of the Apple dongle (A2049)
-Meizu HiFi (also sold as Meizu Master HiFi)
-Meizu HiFi Pro (production has ended, only available used)
-Ugreen HiFi Audio Pro (basically identical to Meizu HiFi Pro)

If you don't mind something with a larger, thumb drive style form factor, then there are many more option available, as Jimbob laid out.
I'd prefer the same form factor. It seems that the best option is buying a US Apple dongle via eBay. Thanks.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I haven't read through the entire thread so apologies in advance if this was already addressed. The dongles being referenced seem to be USB-C to 3.5. What if there is someone (hint: me) whose windoz computers have old fashioned USB ports. Is the solution to get a USB adapter or are there suitable dongles in this config?

Top Bottom