• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

subsonic/infrasonic test for the gear reviews

BeerBear

The Apple USB-C dongle apparently has some trouble with very low frequencies, it produces some noise/distortion/clipping when playing such content. The problem is easily audible, but Amir's review didn't show it. So maybe adding something like this to the reviews would be useful.

But I can't estimate how much audio gear is affected by this issue. After all it's possible that it only affects this Apple dongle. So to get more data, I invite users to check this with their own gear (DACs, amps...). I attached a couple of audio files you can use, but you can also use something else.

(edited for clarity)

Attachments

• subsonic test.zip
    265.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Before I download your file what are you testing for exactly. Just low end response? The issue might be in the measuring device. I was informed a few months back and was shown how most DACs now will do full response down to DC. ADC's usually will block that however.

OP
B

BeerBear

Before I download your file what are you testing for exactly. Just low end response?
Any kind of distortion/noise/crackling. For example, the 3Hz test tone should not produce anything audible at all, but it does produce some "ticking" noise with the Apple dongle. It's probably easier to hear this with headphones, BTW. You can record it if you want/can, but it's not required.

Top Bottom