• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

OldStager

So I ordered the Khadas Tone Board from Amazon, but it's apparently Khadas themselves cause it doesn't say WesionTEK anywhere. Also, it's not this VIMs Edition Amir uses in the review above, but the Generic Edition. Despite these two facts, will it still measure as well? Amazon link

yavormoskov

So I ordered the Khadas Tone Board from Amazon, but it's apparently Khadas themselves cause it doesn't say WesionTEK anywhere. Also, it's not this VIMs Edition Amir uses in the review above, but the Generic Edition. Despite these two facts, will it still measure as well? Amazon link

This is the right version for a standalone DAC. Generic is just a poor choice of a name. I installed mine in a small aluminum case. As I write this I listen to Shallow by Lady Gaga using Khadas and JDS labs Atom and I am in heaven :)

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...the Generic Edition...
....will it still measure as well?...

They use exactly the same PCB layout, same firmware, and same drivers, so feel safe ordering the Generic version :)

Look below the only difference is the two terminals are soldered ab fabric, one on top the other under the PCB, and also ASR had measured another KTB (OEM) that probably is the Generic version from MARCH audio called dac1, that measurement is little bit better probably because it sits in a well designed metal box, here is link for dac1 measurement https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ew-and-measurements-of-march-audio-dac1.5755/

KTB.png

OldStager

They use exactly the same PCB layout, same firmware, and same drivers, so feel safe ordering the Generic version :)

Look below the only difference is the two terminals are soldered ab fabric, one on top the other under the PCB, and also ASR had measured another KTB (OEM) that probably is the Generic version from MARCH audio called dac1, that measurement is little bit better probably because it sits in a well designed metal box, here is link for dac1 measurement https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ew-and-measurements-of-march-audio-dac1.5755/

View attachment 36926

Thank you very much for your reply! That is very reassuring, nice: :)

One more thing I was wondering about...in the main review-post of this thread, with all the graphs and impressions from Amir, I couldn't find a certain measurement that I found by coincidence in other reviews such as the DX7s, as seen in the attachment.

Since those reviews are not about the KTB, but rather use it as reference, he does not talk much about the KTB curve. What does it mean in case of the KTB? Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20191026_182711.jpg
    20191026_182711.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 136

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thank you very much for your reply! That is very reassuring, nice: :)

One more thing I was wondering about...in the main review-post of this thread, with all the graphs and impressions from Amir, I couldn't find a certain measurement that I found by coincidence in other reviews such as the DX7s, as seen in the attachment.

Since those reviews are not about the KTB, but rather use it as reference, he does not talk much about the KTB curve. What does it mean in case of the KTB? Thanks again!

Welcome :)

Curve in your attachment is recommended should stay below -85dB or 0,05% to be transperent, see this ASR thread (link) that have guides how to be bit wiser on many of the varius graphs, schroll down a bit to find the THD+N vs frequency plots, link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

That KTB has a rise in you attachment at high frequency should probably not mean so much if we look up our hearing system in the equal loudness ISO 226-2003 curves below.

ISO226-2003.PNG

Last edited:

Voron

Hello! I порекkhadesвали to buy khadas! I want to use it for the Denon dcd 800ne cd player! tell me what version I buy VIM or Generic? and will I be able to connect denon and khades over s/pdif? thanks for the advice!

milw50717

The S/PDIF coaxial digital output on the Denon can be connected to the S/PDIF input of the Khadas Tone Board. The generic version of the KTB will work for your needs.

Voron

Thanks for the answer! Another question how to choose the right s/pdif coaxial cable? what should I take?

DRevolution

Here is an installation of my new KTB in the Little Bear open enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_7556_1.jpg
    IMG_7556_1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_7559_1.JPG
    IMG_7559_1.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_7561_1.JPG
    IMG_7561_1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 241

BYRTT

Forum Donor
@Voron,

Also remember you need a 5 volts PSU 500mA or more to feed KTB some DC power, either use a USB C plug for power or if i remember correct use pin 1 (+) and pin 21 (-) on the 40 pin terminal on PCB, datasheets plus schematics can be downloaded from KTB website.

If you location is within EU then can recommend get it from Audiophonics in France because they also have a nice screened (metal) box that suits KTB :)

OldStager

Welcome :)

Curve in your attachment is recommended should stay below -85dB or 0,05% to be transperent, see this ASR thread (link) that have guides how to be bit wiser on many of the varius graphs, schroll down a bit to find the THD+N vs frequency plots, link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

That KTB has a rise in you attachment at high frequency should probably not mean so much if we look up our hearing system in the equal loudness ISO 226-2003 curves below.

View attachment 37233

Thanks a lot for clarifying on that, I get it :)

Although I wonder now...maybe I made a mistake. My plan was to send the signal from the KTB to my JDS Labs Atom and feed the KTB with USB Data...however if I have to power the KTB via the USB Port, guess I can't use that for audio anymore, right?

zermak

Although I wonder now...maybe I made a mistake. My plan was to send the signal from the KTB to my JDS Labs Atom and feed the KTB with USB Data...however if I have to power the KTB via the USB Port, guess I can't use that for audio anymore, right?
The USB cable will provide the data and the power to the Khadas Tone Board if you connect it to a soruce (PC or similar device).
Only if you want to use the SPDIF input of KTB then you have to provide the power using the USB cable.

raif71

Major Contributor

If you want to feed the KTB with usb data such as usb audio from a phone or a DAP, you can use a otg y-splitter cable with power like https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-Micr...eywords=USB+OTG+Y-cable&qid=1572441887&sr=8-3 . This will let you connect the KTB using the type a female, while the micro-usb female will charge the unit and the micro-usb male will connect to a DAP or phone

Voron

Здравствуйте! Как вы думаете, этот линейный блок питания подойдет? или ты предопределил что-то еще?
1 841,07 руб. | WEILIANG Аудио 15 Вт линейный стабилизированный блок питания на выходе USB * 2 + DC 5V
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bGO2sEpM

raif71

Major Contributor
@zermak : Thank you, this was what I hoped for when ordering the KTB :)

@raif71 : isn't it like zermak said, that the source itself will power the KTB?

A bit different. Zermak was mentioning the source is a PC... a PC will power and at the same time provide data but a phone/DAP might not have enough power or the capability to power the KTB which requires the cable I described. The cable get power from another usb source which can be a power bank.

OldStager

A bit different. Zermak was mentioning the source is a PC... a PC will power and at the same time provide data but a phone/DAP might not have enough power or the capability to power the KTB which requires the cable I described. The cable get power from another usb source which can be a power bank.

I see...I was planning to use my phone as s source for starters (when chilling on a sofa with the KTB and Atom being integrated in my sofa-table)

So I guess I might need an adapter like you showed me just now. But won't a Y-adapter like that influence the sound quality of the whole chain, or does that not matter?

raif71

Major Contributor
I see...I was planning to use my phone as s source for starters (when chilling on a sofa with the KTB and Atom being integrated in my sofa-table)

So I guess I might need an adapter like you showed me just now. But won't a Y-adapter like that influence the sound quality of the whole chain, or does that not matter?
I don't think it matters :)

Top Bottom