• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
But there was no need.... the difference where obvious in my system. My girlfrend confirmed it listening while chatting :) She also liked KTB sound more.
New member: check
girlfriend/wife confirming your bias: check
How about doing an actually controlled test? :p How did you match the volume?

I heard the difference loud and clear. My girlfrend is not in to "this" so i used her for unbiased listener.
What is the irrelevant moment, please do let me know? Or maybe i should have done measurments also?
This is a science forum, your anecdotal experience is quite meaningless I'm afraid.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry for sharing my non scientific experience then!
Thought it would be helpful....
We're really not trying to be mean btw. It's just, you're probably the tenth or so person coming in with an "obvious" difference which your partner heard too (not a good argument!). It's really a recurring pattern at this point :p

Know that
  • Minute volume differences have a huge impact so if you're not doing careful matching your test is moot
  • Ideal would be after volume matching, that your girlfriend switches the cables without you knowing which system you're listening to
  • Our ears are really not reliable. Perception bias is an incredible factor and most subjective reviewers just don't want to believe it...
Anyway welcome to the forum, just please don't treat it as yet another head-fi.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not very polite either..
Yep. Sorry about that. :confused:

We're just so tired about new members claiming subjecive opinions (opinions ≠ facts) which are no valuable here.

Not a big deal, I also started my journey here that way. Education in Audio-scientific approach takes time.

As @Veri said, you simply cannot consider this forum as others like HF, SBAF, Audiogon and so on.

yavormoskov

Khadas tone board is great and I think I am going to put it inside a PC case. I have the Burson Fun amplifier with the Sparkos opamps which can fit in the 5.25 pc case slot and can be powered by the PC power supply. I will buy internal motherboard USB 2.0 header to female A adapter, will plug in iFi AUDIO iPurifier3 (male USB A to female USB B) to filter out any possible noise from the USB itself and will connect the Khadas tone board to it with a USB B to USB C cable. I might need a short USB cable from the motherboard socket to iFi and short male B type to male C type from the iFi to the tone board. I will ask Ghent audio to make me two because the space inside is limited and the once I already found are too long. And Ghent is really cheap. The Khadas is already inside a very small aluminum case with rubber feet so internal PC vibrations should not be a problem. After that will connect RCA cables from Khadas to the Fun and RCA cable from the Fun cable to the RCA bracket at the back of the case. Wait…what..... That’s right, it does not exist. Will buy female to female chassis RCA connectors from here: https://www.parts-express.com/parts...oLZ-MhlXUfBdcvErsy2g9BWWVWYKm2LRoCKPwQAvD_BwE and will make two holes in a PC slot bracket to attach them. And will disable the on board audio completely from the BIOS. Khadas will be my on board audio :) If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to share them.

Reyer

When I was buying Xonar STX everyone was laughing at me... They said that PC is a bad place to put a DAC/music card to. That EMI will screw with the audio quality and increase its noise floor. That PSU from PC is full of noise and power line isn't stable enough for audio processing. That graphic card coils will have some impact on card because they're way too close.

Has anything changed or these rumors are simply false?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Skip the multiple usb connectors and go direct from the motherboard pin header to the pins on the tone board. Threads on the khadas forum document the usb connection and external power. Taking 5V direct from one of the PSU connectors might be less noisy than going via the motherboard, although the tone board's onboard regulators do a good job.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
When I was buying Xonar STX everyone was laughing at me... They said that PC is a bad place to put a DAC/music card to. That EMI will screw with the audio quality and increase its noise floor. That PSU from PC is full of noise and power line isn't stable enough for audio processing. That graphic card coils will have some impact on card because they're way too close.

They're all worries, but not necessarily showstoppers. Using an external device removes, or at least reduces, many of the worries. A well engineered device designed to run from switch mode supplies will filter and regulate them as needed - look at the RME DACs, or the Tone Board running off USB power for examples. Good design will also lead to relatively high rejection of EMI. It may even be good enough to give decent results right next to the coils of a graphics card. Reducing the level of EMI by moving the card a few slots further away from the graphics card might help, so long as you're not moving it closer to another source of interference. Having it in a screened box outside the computer will probably be better. Ultimately measurements are the only way to know whether you're making things better or worse, and different people have different thresholds of 'good enough'.

yavormoskov

Generally, yes. It is not a good idea to put anything audio inside. However, technology change as well. Better fans, better motherboards, etc. I talked to Burson and they said the Fun amplifier is designed to reject noise from the PSU and vibration from the fans. But they told me to buy RCA cables that are heavily insulated. My PSU is on the bottom of the case (inverted case with the motherboard upside down) with a full metal shroud over it. So, there is a flat space on top of the shroud for the Khadas tone board. But just out of abundance of caution will glue on a small piece of acoustic tape on the PSU shroud where the tone board will sit. And one of the 140mm intake front fans will blow directly at the KTB. This is not by design, it's the only place I can put the KTB but I don't mind the extra heat dissipation :)

BillG

Major Contributor
Has anything changed or these rumors are simply false

Musicians and recording engineers have been putting professional audio cards inside personal computers since the 90's. As a matter of fact, Creamware made some very popular ones. If you heard those protest from audiophiles, are per usual, they don't know what they're talking about. As long as the card is properly designed, it'll be fine... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, Digidesign / ProTools does not, besides the Audiomedia III, which was also used for the Avid Editing System.
As far as I-O connections to the analog world go, their A/D & D/A are external...

yavormoskov

Skip the multiple usb connectors and go direct from the motherboard pin header to the pins on the tone board. Threads on the khadas forum document the usb connection and external power. Taking 5V direct from one of the PSU connectors might be less noisy than going via the motherboard, although the tone board's onboard regulators do a good job.
Good advice but I am not going to follow it. I am going to explain why. I have read all the documentation before and know how to do it but I have to remove the KTB from its aluminum enclosure or to create more holes in the case in order to reach the pins on the tone board. Do you remember the MARCH audio. They used Khadas design to make their own DAC and it measured higher because of the aluminum case which provided some EMI rejection. It was unadiable in reality but still. I don't want to have bare PCB around all these PC components. Very likely the positive effects of the KTB connected directly to the power supply are going to be negligible compared to the negative interference and added noise because the board is exposed. Also, Amir took its measurements with only the USB cable plugged in and they were excellent. I am taking it a step further with the iFi AUDIO iPurifier3 which would further help to provide clean power and signal. I used it before (older version) and it made a huge difference in my case (even dramatic). Some people might think it is a snake oil but I am a believer. Let's not forget iFi is a reputable manufacturer with solid proven designs and they are not going to sell something that does not work. After maybe two weeks would do it (have other things to take care right now) and will post pictures and impressions on the sound.

BillG

Major Contributor
KTB wasn't designed as an in-case card for personal computers, though. So it would benefit from shielding. Cards specifically for in-case usage already have this considered in the design... :D

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
KTB wasn't designed as an in-case card for personal computers, though. So it would benefit from shielding. Cards specifically for in-case usage already have this considered in the design... :D
It was designed to stack directly on top of their single board computers, somewhat closer than the separation between cards in a PC, so it really ought to have been considered in the design.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I hear "shielding" in HiFi I am wondering in the real world:
Why the heck does my neighbor make an unnerving phonecall before takeoff?

Top Bottom