• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

pulsedriverbg

I bought the KTB not long ago and i'm already impressed! I have used it and had the time to compare closely HiFiMeDIY U2, SMSL M100, Topping D30, KTB. KTB is a clear winner in all aspects. I'm also very curious to compare it to Mojo that i can loan from a friend in my desktop rig. Does some one have recommendation for driver settings? Witch i better ASIO, WASAPI event/push?

Does some one have recommendation for driver settings? Which is better ASIO, WASAPI event/push? Thesycon or ASIO4ALL?

Does anyone know when the revision of the Tone Board is coming out?

I did ask and they have said that there is no time frame.

Last edited:

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could someone from Khadas confirm that there is no time frame-and therefor no revision?

alashikata

I bought the KTB not long ago and i'm already impressed! I have used and had the time to compare closely HiFiMeDIY U2, SMSL M100, Topping D30, KTB. KTB is a clear winner in all aspects. I'm also very curious to compare it to Mojo that i can loan from a friend in my desktop rig. Does some one have recommendation for driver settings? Witch i better ASIO, WASAPI event/push?

Does some one have recommendation for driver settings? Which is better ASIO, WASAPI event/push? Thesycon or ASIO4ALL?

I did ask and they have said that there is no time frame.

I thought I answered somewhere in this post but don't remember where.

For Audiophile linux : Alsa

Foobar2000 and other windows app: ASIO4ALL is the best, WASAPI is second choice. For high resolution SACD ISO, use DSD:ASIO4ALL. Don't see different between event/push. I am using event.

Veri

Master Contributor

For Audiophile linux : Alsa

Foobar2000 and other windows app: ASIO4ALL is the best, WASAPI is second choice. For high resolution SACD ISO, use DSD:ASIO4ALL. Don't see different between event/push. I am using event.
'Best', meaning..?

alashikata

'Best', meaning..?

It's depend on your gears. Tested both Benchmark DAC2 and Tone. Could hear the different right away between the drivers.

Tannoy D700, KEF R11, Revel F208 speakers and Parasound: sound better with ASIO4ALL compares to WASAPI
JBL Everest DD67000, Revel Studio 2, speakers and Mark Levinson: sound better with ASIO4ALL compares to WASAPI

$800 speakers and Denon receiver: can't hear different between them, either one is the same.

Even thought, both drivers are fine. It's up to your ears.

Veri

Master Contributor
You realise that this is a science forum though, right. WASAPI and ASIO4ALL are both taking exclusive control of the device bypassing the lossy directsound pathway. Which should result in identical, bitperfect samples.

You shouldn't hear a difference in a controlled test (read: not simply doing A-B tests and thinking to yourself "this is better").
Your ears are not a measurement instrument to make definitely claims, especially comparing ASIO and WASAPI...

Refer to this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-music-players-foobar-jriver.7412/post-171098

Reyer

Doing my own, unscientific, tests on foobar told me that the only difference with wasapi and asio was different volume levels. After correcting them by hearing and then switching with profiles I couldn't tell a difference.
And of course, everything that has a slightly higher volume always sounds better.

Starcraft

Hello everyone,

Just needed your help.

I use two dacs with my pi3. IqAudio dac plus and a d30.
Both are good. I tend to use more the iqaudio. I find the d30 too cold in my setup.

1st would the khadas be an upgrade?
2nd would the khadas need an coax connection or the usb used with the pi3 be ok?
3rd could you recomend a linear supply for the pi3 and khadas (if used with coax)?

another subjective question: is the khadas warm, cold? how is the soundstage? I always look for warm, musical and wide soundstage. I am doing the same with the integrated amp I am looking for.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
another subjective question: is the khadas warm, cold? how is the soundstage? I always look for warm, musical and wide soundstage. I am doing the same with the integrated amp I am looking for.
None of the criteria you mentioned should be related to the DAC. A DAC shouldn't sound warm, musical (what does that mean anyway?) or whatever else. The Tone Board looks transparent enough and that's it. What you're seeking for belongs to your speakers/headphones.

BillG

Major Contributor
another subjective question: is the khadas warm, cold? how is the soundstage?

A competently designed DAC doesn't impart any of those qualities onto music reproduction. If you're after that I'd suggest looking at DSP software instead; you can manipulate the sonic temperature and sound stage with ease that way. I do it all the time on my PC... :cool:

BillG

Major Contributor
A DAC shouldn't sound warm, musical (what does that mean anyway?)

Like older tube gear is what I've always taken it to mean: emphasis on the mids and bass, and a slight reduction in treble response with some noticeable harmonic distortion on that end. Supposedly tubes do some sort of limiting and compression as well. In others words, not even remotely transparent... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pulsedriverbg

Foobar2000 and other windows ....

Will try it out when i have more time to spare, thanks!

Hello everyone,

I use two dacs with my pi3. IqAudio dac plus and a d30.
Both are good. I tend to use more the iqaudio. I find the d30 too cold in my setup.

Look at my post above.
D30 is anything but cold ... Less detail and separation, more condensed stereo image, heavy (boomy, exaggerated) on the low end compared to KTB. And that is for the USB input. On Optical i heard a little darker character. For me the bass is more tight and i feel a little more rumble in my feet with KTB though my speakers are very basic.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D30 is anything but cold ... Less detail and separation, more condensed stereo image, heavy (boomy, exaggerated) on the low end compared to KTB. And that is for the USB input. On Optical i heard a little darker character. For me the bass is more tight and i feel a little more rumble in my feet with KTB though my speakers are very basic.
OK...

You see me coming: Did you made AB tests blinded?;)

pulsedriverbg

AB testing - yes.
Blinded no.
But there was no need.... the difference where obvious in my system. My girlfrend confirmed it listening while chatting :) She also liked KTB sound more.

Top Bottom