• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of vintage Yamaha AX-396 integrated amplifier

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Hi @DSJR , below please find measurements into 8ohm load as per your request.

ax396_thdnampl_8R.png

ax396_thdnampl_8R_dBr.png

Yamaha AX-396 CCIF IMD 19+20kHz 8ohm.png

THD and THD+N is lower than into 4ohm, as expected.

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Standard IMD tests - DIN 250Hz+8kHz and SMPTE 60Hz+7kHz (repeated on Sep 29,2021)

Yamaha AX-396 SMPTE IMD 60Hz+7kHz 8ohm.png

Yamaha AX-396 DIN IMD 250Hz-8kHz 8ohm.png

This again remained me that we have to be humble and to perform all kinds of well established tests. This would cover THD+N vs. amplitude, THD+N vs. frequency, SMPTE IMD, DIN IMD, CCIF IMD, multitone and spectra at various output level. None of them to be omitted. If we omit some of the tests, we may overlook some hidden design issue.

Last edited:

greeef

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for all the discussion here. I have rebiased my amplifier to ~10mV by following some of the advice here and from the service manual. When i first measured the channels they were at 2.1mV and 1.5mV. I have made absolutely no objective testing but have convinced myself there is an improvement! It's good to know I don't have a junker here, i bought it new about 23 years ago.

I've never rebiased an amplifier before, I appreciate how easy you guys made it sound.

Reactions: pma
Top Bottom