• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The only thing missing in this thread is a argument about who was the best singer in the spice girls...

Yea I know it's just a matter of time.

Spice Girls has a singer? When did that happen?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also love how the "d1-player":
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-player-eng.htm

is looks like a repackaged Euler PC:

https://www.pcvert.fr/par-gamme/445-euler-m-h110.html
Less than 800 euros new.

But re-priced as well:

http://www.totaldac.com/prices.htm

EDIT: I replaced "is" by "looks like" because the case is the same but there seems to be a bit more inside, like SSD space for instance. Definitely NOT worth 8900€!! A 4TB SSD is around 600$ now, when you buy just one.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: I replaced "is" by "looks like" because the case is the same but there seems to be a bit more inside, like SSD space for instance. Definitely NOT worth 8900€!! A 4TB SSD is around 600$ now, when you buy just one.
I'm sure there is nothing to justify the ridiculous price, but accuracy is important. I expect there is some small custom board, a usb cleaner or a linear supply, or something.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure there is nothing to justify the ridiculous price, but accuracy is important. I expect there is some small custom board, a usb cleaner or a linear supply, or something.
Linear supply yes. Ethernet cleaner yes (+390€ for the 2m cable). USB cleaner no.
Vincent advises to use the 1.750€ GIGAFILTER USB just after.

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...elite-et-dac/dac-totaldac-t29963819-4710.html

You have to buy your own Roon licence of course.

Here we also have a masterpiece :

"The cleaning is done at the output of the d1-player.
When the cleaning is done at the input of the streamer [which is before the d1-player in the chain], the sound loses dynamics and transparency.
That was not predictable but it is the result of my listening sessions."

Last edited:

estuardo4

We are almost at the 1,000 posts mark for this Thread. The price for the 1,000 post writer will be a TotalDAC d1-six DAC, so he/she can use it as a doorstep.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are almost at the 1,000 posts mark for this Thread. The price for the 1,000 post writer will be a TotalDAC d1-six DAC, so he/she can use it as a doorstep.
Looks like a trip hazard, no thanks.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ethernet cables sold at totaldac (390€) are bitperfect.

The ethernet LAN cable/filter is compatible with ethernet under Windows, MAC ou Linux. It is obviously bit perfect.

length 2m, weight about 1kg.

1kg???!!

1564689665847.png

What would be the price of a non-bitperfect Ethernet cable? I don't need so much quality for my office rig.

diegooo1972

I can fill this mini ITX akasa case with 160w power supply with crazy high costs components.
If you use active fan and no silent

1x Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 290$
1x 32gb (2x16) ddr4 4000mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX. Only 2 slot in mini itx 495$ stupid choice
1x i5 8600t 35w. You can't use nothing more then t series processor at 35w cause you don't have enough dissipation. 330$
1x Noctua NH-L9i active fan low profile dissipation. 40$
1x Akasa Euler M Fanless Mini-ITX case 155$
2x Samsung SSD 970 EVO, 2 TB, M.2, NVMe. total 4Tb 970$ crazy and useless.
1x mini itx power supply 160w the best i found. 95$

Total 2375$

This configuration is stupid and absolutely useless for something like that and has nothing to do with audio.
But it's the best you can pay for a mini itx PC with that case. And it's not silent, Most expansive components.
Maybe out there is a mini itx power supply super linear at 1k ? Never saw that.
Considering that you want silent PC, that power consumption and a linear power supply are important too and that you want high quality audio component what do you think you can put in there to pay let's say 3k$ ? I don't know.
I must consider that a raspy 3 with katana do nearly everything dac included with great measurements.
Of course if you put the toroidal 1800$ and the giga usb cable$ 1800 things start to change...
Just open a d1 player and start to smile.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My fanless (silent) laptop for audio cost me 70$ (used, as new). The rest is SSD space to buy.
Never missed a bit, never a ms of lag under JRiver with Topping D10.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

diegooo1972

Ethernet cables sold at totaldac (390€) are bitperfect.

1kg???!!

View attachment 30492

What would be the price of a non-bitperfect Ethernet cable? I don't need so much quality for my office rig.

Can't resist. I must say that.
Whatever you do in the middle of an ethernet transmission using Roon rat, that is tcp based, you're gonna have error correction for packet transmission ( UDP didn't have error correction ). I hope Roon used tcp for that reason.
If you consider that in the end over tcp-ip you're going to use a buffer before to send received packets to audio stream process,

the perfect bit stream is going to loose, inside that buffer, whatever you have done with packets and bits in the middle. Timing included.

You just need the perfect bit stream.
The perfect bit stream just depend on tcp error correction and in the rare case that a packet get lost, in a crazy simple network like that, is going to be resent.
That's why you need a buffer in the end to order correctly the packets received.
Now from the buffer we can send the perfect bit stream to the rest of the chain and apply timing to something that until now in the packets have no timing audio at all.
We send let's say 1500bytes per packet with 1526 MTU. Classic.
Inside that packet of 1500bytes there's no kind of timing whatsoever.
Just a sequence of bytes.
Tcp will reorder packets and send them to the process that generate whatever audio stream you want and only there you're going to apply the audio timing needed .
That's why you can download a program with bit perfect.
Cause just one different bit and a program won't work properly or just won't work at all.
In a crazy complicated internet network.
Not in a small house network.

And all that without any esotheric ethernet cable or switch.
Just using simple network components.

Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
Linear supply yes. Ethernet cleaner yes (+390€ for the 2m cable). USB cleaner no.
Vincent advises to use the 1.750€ GIGAFILTER USB just after.

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...elite-et-dac/dac-totaldac-t29963819-4710.html

You have to buy your own Roon licence of course.

Here we also have a masterpiece :

"The cleaning is done at the output of the d1-player.
When the cleaning is done at the input of the streamer [which is before the d1-player in the chain], the sound loses dynamics and transparency.
That was not predictable but it is the result of my listening sessions."
The whole thing makes me mad. France has sunk so low. Whether it be politics, literature or engineering, we're now officially a banana republic.

Top Bottom