• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

VanNeumann

Today I connected the Topping D50 to the Topping P50 only that the plug put it in DC15V / 1A and the Topping D50 does not want to turn on anymore, has it burned out?
Before it was connected in DC5V / 1A usb and worked well.
Please let me know if I electrocuted topping d50

TOPPING-P50.jpg
It’s surprising you were able to connect the D50 is to the 15v output given that the D50 only comes with a USB electrical cable that works ok with phone chargers (or the USB or put of the P50). Unfortunately you most likely burned out part of the input circuit. If you have some electrical circuit testing knowledge & a soldering iron, you may be able to able to repair it. May be a rather intricate job.

robertospeed

Could someone recommend me a dsd DAC better than topping d50 please, maybe answering me in private? I'm looking for a new dsd dac to connect to the pc to listen with foobar2000

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I don't think Amir tested any of the DACs in DSD mode, although it would be interesting to add DSD THD+N tests in future tests, just AP is not supporting DSD (AFAIK).

Tim F

I've picked up a D50 and I'm running into a couple of issues. USB is not working when connected to my Auralic Aries Femto (it works on my Golden Gate fine). USB is also not working at all in Windows 10. The drivers don't work and the device is unrecognised.
Dac is fine over Coax and Optical but I really would like to get this working. Any ideas on how to fix this, it is annoying! (Auralic is the priority)?
Thanks, Tim

Tim F

First impressions of the D50.... I bought one of these to compare with my Lampizator Golden Gate 2 and test for myself the measurement only matters view.

Core set up:
- Auralic Aries Femto
- ARC V140 monoblocks
- Focal Scala Utopia Mk3
- Quadraspire SVT2 rack
I've fired this up using it as a preamp as my ARC Reference 3 is in for repair. I don't know how this works as a pre as many older digital ones used to be terrible. I also can't run my Golden Gate at the moment as this has no volume control, so can't do a direct comparison yet. Running Coax and using the D50's internal volume control (turned down a long way). Can't get USB working.

Initial thoughts
Really impressed so far, given this cost me a 10th of some of my valves, this is throwing a good soundstage, high degree of clarity and tight bass. Bass goes deep and isn't bloated (my speakers go down to 25hz before dropping off). I'll do a proper test in a couple of weeks when my pre is back.

I also picked up an Ideon re-clocker and 3 expensive USB cables which I can't test as my USB isn't working on the D50! Annoying...

Also have the best PSU ldovr does (which isn't here yet) to try out.

Digital has come a long way! Will post more when I have more progress.

Cheers, Tim

Veri

Master Contributor
I also picked up an Ideon re-clocker and 3 expensive USB cables which I can't test as my USB isn't working on the D50! Annoying...

Also have the best PSU ldovr does (which isn't here yet) to try out.

Digital has come a long way! Will post more when I have more progress.

Cheers, Tim

PSU, reclocker, expensive USB cables.. not sure this forum here is the right audience for those things :oops::oops:
In any case, any reason you went for the D50 instead of the improved D50s?

Tim F

PSU, reclocker, expensive USB cables.. not sure this forum here is the right audience for those things :oops::oops:
In any case, any reason you went for the D50 instead of the improved D50s?

I got that stuff to see if it made any difference (to my subjective ears). I tested a large number of power cables recently and found no difference so I like to hear for myself. I got the D50 as it was available and should be good enough measurement wise to see if it sounds good.

There is a massive difference in opinions from you guys versus the subjective crew. I consider myself in the middle. I like to try things myself.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
USB is also not working at all in Windows 10. The drivers don't work and the device is unrecognised.
1. Try on a different Win10 computer and do not install any drivers, just let the OS to install the default ones, then see if device gets recognized or not.
2. Try an ubuntu machine.
3. Try on a MacOS machine, preferable something new, like Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra.

If none of the above will work for you, then maybe you should claim the warranty for the D50.

JediMa

Why does it switch one all the time automatically? I 've to unplug the usb power cable to keep it OFF

Chilli

Why does it switch one all the time automatically? I 've to unplug the usb power cable to keep it OFF
What have you got plugged into the dac? It has an auto on when signal is input. Ie. what sources have you plugged in? It could be that.
there may be a way to turn the auto on (to off).

JediMa

I'm stupid, i've missed the auto option ...

Savaro

Hello! There is one question. When using a DAC over coax, when you turn on something else in the power distributor, the signal is lost and then restored. Using optics and usb inputs, this is not observed. This is normal? Best regards, Alex.

shootingtechie

After some head-scratching and a little name calling, I was finally able to do a Windows 10 clean install on my Mac Mini and so here is what I found:

The range of sample rates the Mac Mini offers through Windows 10 differs from that offered by Mac OS (High Sierra). Windows is more "honest" in reporting the frequency rates the Mac Mini can actually achieve:

- High Sierra reports bit depths of 24 and 32, but not 16.
- Windows reports all three bit depths (16, 24, and 32) and will actually let you use them.
- High Sierra lists frequency rates from 44,100 Hz to 768,000 Hz for the Mac Mini, but if your choose anything above 192,000 Hz you start hearing clicks and pops.
- Windows 10 lists frequency rates from 44,100 Hz to 192,000 Hz only, but the sound remains clean even at 192,000 Hz.

Also, although a subjective comment, I have to say the music I played through Windows sounded absolutely beautiful (at 44.1 / 16)--maybe because of the Exclusive Mode or maybe because I was half asleep, but I want to do some serious listening and comparing now.

In case you might be interested, these are the songs I used in my quick test, and they all sounded beautifully:

- The Piper (ABBA)
- The King has lost his crown (ABBA)
- You Make Loving Fun (Fleetwood Mac)
- The Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden)
- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
- Raw Deal (Judas Priest)
- Erebus (Septicflesh)

All full CD quality AIFF format. The CD version of The Phantom of the Opera, by Iron Maiden, has always sounded a little flat and uninteresting to me, so I seldom play it; this time I thought it was better.
Hey there i also go a topping D50 and i am using roon for the access and ASIO driver version latest from topping but i cant seem to make it work with 16 bit which most of my flac files are !! So any help please . and Thanks a lot

TomB19

I have the Topping D50 and for the moment I use its USB power cable with a smartphone charger and it sounds great, I wanted to know if I should buy the TOPPING P50 Linear power supply to improve the sound, or stay the way I am now.

I have a P50 and love it but I doubt it makes any noticeable difference in sound. It does, however, make me smile when i see the rather attractive stack of P50/D50s/A50s.

Leo Rush

I've picked up a D50 and I'm running into a couple of issues. USB is not working when connected to my Auralic Aries Femto (it works on my Golden Gate fine). USB is also not working at all in Windows 10. The drivers don't work and the device is unrecognised.
Dac is fine over Coax and Optical but I really would like to get this working. Any ideas on how to fix this, it is annoying! (Auralic is the priority)?
Thanks, Tim
Mine D50 has a one of USB-port pins pushed down. Try to look there, maybe this will be easy fix

jimboaz

Let it break in for at least 50 hours then you will hear what the D50 has to give. When I got mine around 6 months ago I also thought it sounded a bit thin at the begining but after several hours of break in (I left it ON for several hours in a row playing Hi Res music from a Sony UBP X-800 UHD BD player, files were on a SSD) it sounded as it does now,accurate.
Keep atention to the power supply as it will have an impact on the sound of your D50. I feed my D50 with a high capacity powerbank, a 22400 mAh EC Technology I got from Amazon, it's power supply is very stable.
Between my D50 and the amp is conected to I have a Yaqin SD-CD3 Tube Buffer that makes the D50 sound fatter, with wider soundstage and silky mids and high, but not with the supplied tubes, I had to spend 75 € on a pair of NOS JAN (tubes made for the US military and navy) Philips 6SN7GTA.
You're right on with your observations - don't let the number crunchers here deafen your ears...

Top Bottom