• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
it looks like 2.5mm, but im not sure

anyway it looks beautiful

the only problem i see is about the power supply. It will probably cost more than a hundred

Linear power supplies are a market for neurotics as far as I'm concerned, so far on this forum I've seen zero evidence of quantifiable difference in output. Some top end DACs like RME ADI-2 use simple switching power that is cleaned up internally. "Linear" seems a bit of a meme :)

gorg

Damn, awesome! A50 still coming, then :) another contender against the JDS Atom, ha.

I wonder what the BAL port is. 2.5mm balanced? 4.4mm???
See the right side of the photo - there's a part of info: 2.5 mm B(alanced) probably ;)

AresHarvest

Linear power supplies are a market for neurotics as far as I'm concerned, so far on this forum I've seen zero evidence of quantifiable difference in output. Some top end DACs like RME ADI-2 use simple switching power that is cleaned up internally. "Linear" seems a bit of a meme :)

I purchased a simple "wall wart" linear power supply for $11, and it works fine. Does it work better than the included adapter cable, plus whatever USB power adapter I have lying around? Who knows. I just didn't want to deal with a cable that could become disconnected easily from either end.

Just want to verify that this is 2.0Vrms output? Didn’t see it on any of the graphs.

Yes. 1.997 Vrms (8.2 dBu, 6 dBV). https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/#post-68175

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm pretty new in this stuff, can you help me? I need DAC and Amp and now i choose between Topping DX7s or Topping D50 + Amp (really don't know what will be better for D50, A30 maybe?
Thanks.
If you haven't gotten the stuff yet I think the D50 and JDS Atom will make for an objective killer-combo

AresHarvest

If there's any time to get into it, it's now.

Several near-perfect DACs for less than $100, then a flexible and transparent headphone amp for another $100.

buggyglint

Looking to get this D50 to replace me D30. It defiantly looks like a decent upgrade. This issue I have is that I currently run the D30 with an active 80ft usb cable to my PC along with the 12V power supply. If I use the D50's USB input, would a 5V/1A power adapter be required/sufficient? I cant rely on the USB to carry the correct voltage.

gorg

Looking to get this D50 to replace me D30. It defiantly looks like a decent upgrade. This issue I have is that I currently run the D30 with an active 80ft usb cable to my PC along with the 12V power supply. If I use the D50's USB input, would a 5V/1A power adapter be required/sufficient? I cant rely on the USB to carry the correct voltage.
External power supply is REQUIRED to run D50. 5V/1A will be sufficient.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I recently bought two of these. I am using them with the SPDIF Toslink input exclusively. I power them from a USB charger, not the PC. Questions:

a) Why is the bit depth showing as 00 when using SPDIF? Does this work for anybody?

b) The auto on/off feature doesn't seem to work for me. I set it in the settings, but I still have to manually turn the DACs on. Does it only work with USB input?

wadec22

b) The auto on/off feature doesn't seem to work for me. I set it in the settings, but I still have to manually turn the DACs on. Does it only work with USB input?

Do you still have brightness set to auto? Has to be auto to work.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Yes, brightness is set to auto. Tested again today, the DAC is not turning on when I send a singal via SPDIF.

gorg

It works in usb mode only, regardless the brightness is set to auto or not (PCWin10 in my case).

Roen

D50 has 7 PCM Filters to choose from, which one was used for these tests?

Gggggas

Hello people of audioscience,

This is my first post here after reading the spectacular reviews of Amirm.
I want to buy my first Dac and Amp to run my Dt770Pros and some future 80ohm+ headphones.
My question is if the D50 is recommended to be used without an amp?
Do you advise me to get the D50 and wait for the A50?
I am open to all kinds of suggestions as this will be my first Dac&Amp upgrade from the Fiio E10K.

Thank you in advance and excuse me if this has been answered before.

Peib

Hello people of audioscience,

This is my first post here after reading the spectacular reviews of Amirm.
I want to buy my first Dac and Amp to run my Dt770Pros and some future 80ohm+ headphones.
My question is if the D50 is recommended to be used without an amp?
Do you advise me to get the D50 and wait for the A50?
I am open to all kinds of suggestions as this will be my first Dac&Amp upgrade from the Fiio E10K.

Thank you in advance and excuse me if this has been answered before.
Yes, i bought D50 on June and no headphone amplifier. I have beyerdynamics dt 1770 pro, 250 ohms, and they sound well without amp.
Im waiting for the A50 cause I want the best performance my headphones can give

Veri

Master Contributor
Am I missing something here? How do you use the D50 without an amp.

Roen

Control volume at USB Source, such as Windows Volume Control. Wouldn't recommend it but that's me.

D50 seems to also have a volume adjustment, but I left mine at 0.0 dB

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor

There are RCA out to 6.35mm female converter cables. I have one that does dual-RCA > 2.5mm TRRS female.

They seem to work with high impedance headphones but still do affect the response curve somewhat. I bought mine while awaiting for my HPA-3B to arrive from Massdrop.

Veri

Master Contributor
There are RCA out to 6.35mm female converter cables. I have one that does dual-RCA > 2.5mm TRRS female.

They seem to work with high impedance headphones but still do affect the response curve somewhat. I bought mine while awaiting for my HPA-3B to arrive from Massdrop.
I'm not sure which manufacturer it was but I once read it's a pretty bad idea to use the line out like that :D but yeah as a back-up it's something I guess.

Top Bottom