• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are RCA out to 6.35mm female converter cables. I have one that does dual-RCA > 2.5mm TRRS female.

They seem to work with high impedance headphones but still do affect the response curve somewhat. I bought mine while awaiting for my HPA-3B to arrive from Massdrop.

Why TRRS? The signal is still unbalanced?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not evidence of anything, sorry.
Did we ever decide which was the best filter to use based on measured data or specifications?

Did we ever get more color as to what @derp1n meant by this statement?

derp1n

Did we ever decide which was the best filter to use based on measured data or specifications?

Did we ever get more color as to what @derp1n meant by this statement?
The best filter to use is always linear phase with steep roll off. But hearing the differences between them would be a struggle at best, anyway.

AresHarvest

Anyone experiencing an issue where Auto Off doesn't work when USB is the selected source?

I've got the D50 plugged into my computer. Turns on automatically no problem, but after putting the computer to sleep or shutting down, the D50 remains on indefinitely, unless I manually turn it off.

gorg

Anyone experiencing an issue where Auto Off doesn't work when USB is the selected source?

I've got the D50 plugged into my computer. Turns on automatically no problem, but after putting the computer to sleep or shutting down, the D50 remains on indefinitely, unless I manually turn it off.

Check status on d50's display whey you turn off PC - it should be "usb input unlock", then after approx 1min. d50 should turn off itself.

AresHarvest

It goes into unlocked state immediately, then stays on. I've given it more than two hours, the auto off doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for troubleshooting with me. Does it power down for you? If so, are you using SPDIF instead OF USB?

gorg

I'm using usb & optical. D50 firmware version - 1.02 (september update). Settings: PCM FIR mode 5, Display: 30%, Auto: ON.

gorg

I just checked - optical works fine, it powers on and off my Topping.

PS. ubs too, of course

Last edited:

chosen_too

I just checked - optical works fine, it powers on and off my Topping.

PS. ubs too, of course

With raspberry 3 dac is always locked, no matter is there any sound playing or not, so d50 stays on. When raspberry goes off, dac goes off too. Because I never turn off my raspberry, so I just set d50 to turn screen off, best solution I've found.

With coax all works as expected.

gorg

When it's locked it means the signal is present, regardless any sound is playing or not, it won't turns off. The point is, in AresHarvest's case, it stays on even when it's unlocked.

gorg

One of 3 below should work:
- factory reset,
- firmware update (if possible),
- set Auto:ON not Auto:OFF ;)

zakazak

Thank you for the test. What bothers me is that the DAC is specified with a frequency response that starts at 20Hz but not lower.

Isnt that pretty bad?
Other DACs go to 10Hz for example.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Auto-on works with SPDIF. I had my DACs connected to a master/slave power socket, PC being the master, DAC being the slave. Apparently, the DAC isnt booted-up quick enough to recognize the incoming SPDIF singal for the auto-on to work.

Since I put the D50 on the permanent power socket (and not powered via the PC either) I have no more problems with Auto-on via SPDIF.

I will follow up with this, not sure yet if auto-off works in my case.

AresHarvest

One of 3 below should work:
- factory reset,
- firmware update (if possible),
- set Auto:ON not Auto:OFF ;)

Have tried factory reset, same issue present. It's currently on firmware 1.02 (and the available 1.02 updater doesn't apply to my serial number, so I'm not gonna try reflashing). Auto is set to ON.

To clarify further, my D50 turns on automatically, no problem. Just won't turn off automatically - I wasn't sure what the delay was supposed to be, so I just left it and it was still on several hours after shutting down the PC. Unit is powered with an appropriate standalone PSU, not the included USB-to-barrel cable.

Top Bottom