• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

gorg

Ok. Try to hook-up red-book signal and check if the digital filters does any change.

Pavano

Since there is the hump in the middle, should this influence on how to set volume control on the D50 when loudspeaker volume is determined by the desktop amp?

chosen_too

Ok, sound from laptop seems to be very similar to raspberry, same uncomfortable sound. What's interesting - sound is very transparent, highs are not itchy at all, even with Heil tweeters of my Elacs.

Can't stand such distorted sound more then 10-20 minutes, returning to Allo Boss. I think it's somehow related to volume or output level of this dac, hope it could be fixed someway, otherwise it's useless. S/n started with 1808.

Another bug (or feature?) screen of the dac never turns off, even when there is no sound it shows 48 or 44.1, maybe there is special raspberry settings for USB?

Last edited:

SiW

Sorry if I missed it, does the unit need 5v input power if using just the coax or toslink input? Assume its usb powered when usb input is used.

Are the measurements as good when used with usb input?

Cheers!

Simon

gorg

Topping D50 needs external power supply in all modes, usb too.

wadec22

Must need to be a more recent USB? I'm using a Asus z270 Mobo, plugged into a USB 3.0 slot.

I can confirm with photos tonight after work if anyone wants it.

gorg

It's possible. Paste details from Topping's control panel, please.
Mine version is: VID/PID 0x152A/0x8750, Revision: v.1.02

Edit: and of course the only important: s/n - mine starts 1807xx. :)

Last edited:

wadec22

Power supply by USB connection, it is also external power supply.
Yes, but that's not what he meant. The thought previously was even when using USB, you needed an additional power supply. Myself and one or two others confirmed that not to be the case.

gorg

Yes, but that's not what he meant. The thought previously was even when using USB, you needed an additional power supply. Myself and one or two others confirmed that not to be the case.

No no, that wasn't the point. The point was the topping D50 is using usb connection only as data connection not as power supply. To power up the Topping you have to connect ADDITIONAL connection via attached barrel 5V to usb cable (it is in fact external power supply connection).

wadec22

No no, that wasn't the point. The point was the topping D50 is using usb connection only as data connection not as power supply. To power up the Topping you have to connect ADDITIONAL connection via attached barrel 5V to usb cable (it is in fact external power supply connection).
you are right. I had hooked up two components since getting my d50 and had forgotten there are two USB cables in the box. it comes with two, one for data, one for power. my original thought was for those talking about buying an additional power supply and as long as you have two open usb ports - you don't need to do that.

decebalus

boys i need a piece of advice smsl su-8 or topping D50 ? Smsl features are quite nice XLR internal transformer on the other hand D50 form factor is very handy but regardless... well not to mention the sanskritt 10th very tempting as well ... help :|

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
SMSL is supposed to send me another sample soon. There may be some improvements there so you may want to wait for that.

Until then, do you have headphone or power amp you are driving with balanced input? If so, SMSL SU-8 would get my vote.

decebalus

SMSL is supposed to send me another sample soon. There may be some improvements there so you may want to wait for that.

Until then, do you have headphone or power amp you are driving with balanced input? If so, SMSL SU-8 would get my vote.
Amirm thanks for the reply, i'm planning to buy on 11/11 Black Friday, At the moment i have nothing on the balanced side but i'm planning to...
i will use the new dac with my hybrid quite powerful amp the Elemental Watson+ Dt1990Pro my fav headphones so far. Hopefully the new dac will sound better than my Fiio X5 III gen but regardless i need a desktop dac and later on a couple more amp's and monitors and...etc..

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just want to verify that this is 2.0Vrms output? Didn’t see it on any of the graphs.

Top Bottom