• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Majestyk

Can anyone recommend me an inexpensive power supply that they are currently using? I've been looking for two days and can't find a thing. Preferably one that is 5V 2-3A (as opposed to 1A). Thanks.

Majestyk

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try since they have specifally stated low noise. Plus they have an office where I live, so maybe shipping won't be so bad.

Majestyk

Getting impatient waiting for my power supply to come. I have an O2 Joggler that has a 5V 4A power supply. Is this ok to use? Is 4A too much?

peder2tm

Getting impatient waiting for my power supply to come. I have an O2 Joggler that has a 5V 4A power supply. Is this ok to use? Is 4A too much?
It should be fine. The 4A is maximum current. The device wont pull more current than it needs.

wadec22

Is the "linear" power supply used for testing a premium unit? What should one expect to pay for one?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the "linear" power supply used for testing a premium unit? What should one expect to pay for one?

Not sure about Amir's lab unit, but if you look all the way back to page 2, post #23, you'll see that he also measured this unit using the USB power from his laptop and did not get significantly different results.

chosen_too

I'm experiencing a strange effect with this dac, there is great fatigue when listening to it. My setup consist of Elac 207.2 speakers, Primare a 30.1 amplifier and raspberry pi 3 with topping via USB, volumio installed, music Redbook flacs mostly. When I'm switching to Allo boss sound getting much less transparent, but I can listen to it for a long time without any headache. Raspberry powered by Samsung PSU, Topping is connected to decent Mean Well Smps. My wife sharing same experience. Maybe there is some special tips and tricks for topping and raspberry?

Last edited:

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I'm experiencing a strange effect with this dac, there is great fatigue when listening to it. My setup consist of Elac 207.2 speakers, Primare a 30.1 amplifier and raspberry pi 3 with topping via USB, volumio installed, music Redbook flacs mostly. When I'm switching to Allo boss sound getting much less transparent, but I can listen to it for a long time without any headache. Raspberry powered by Samsung PSU, Topping is connected to decent Mean Well Smps. My wife sharing same experience. Maybe there is some special tips and tricks for topping and raspberry?
Do you do digital volume control before the dac, and might be in the ”ESS IMD Distortion Hump” trouble levels?

chosen_too

Do you do digital volume control before the dac, and might be in the ”ESS IMD Distortion Hump” trouble levels?

I guess no, just plugged in dac and selected it in settings, alsa shows 100%, 0.0db on Topping screen, i use amp to control volume.

jackenhack

Forum Donor
So refreshing to find this forum. No magic talk about cables with unobtanium and other hocus-pocus. Good to be able to see some real measurements, fortunately I read the review of the Topping D50 and have ordered one. So thanks to @amirm
Finally a DAC to do the finishing testing of my headphone amplifier i development.
I can't measure it with my QuantAsylum QA401 even under heavy 32-ohm load. Hopefully I can send one to him for testing with "real" test equipment. :)

chosen_too

Digital filters don't solve my issue completely, very aggressive sound so far. I'll try too pair dac with my windows laptop on weekend, hope this is software issue.

Veri

Master Contributor
Digital filters don't solve my issue completely, very aggressive sound so far. I'll try too pair dac with my windows laptop on weekend, hope this is software issue.
You are used to other devices that are significantly rolled-off then... "agressive" is a weird way of describing transparent.

chosen_too

You are used to other devices that are significantly rolled-off then... "agressive" is a weird way of describing transparent.

Wish it was that simple =) I have nothing against tranparency, but listening fatique in my experience always connected with some kind of distortion. For example previously I used Lavry DA10, Apogee Minidac, Benchmark DA1, some E-MU and ESI cards and none of them caused such problem.

gorg

Wish it was that simple =) I have nothing against tranparency, but listening fatique in my experience always connected with some kind of distortion. For example previously I used Lavry DA10, Apogee Minidac, Benchmark DA1, some E-MU and ESI cards and none of them caused such problem.

Try to connect Topping to cd-player and check if the sound differs.

Top Bottom