• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

livlif

hey everyone! I had a question. Trying to determine which one would be the best. Im looking into the Topping D50 and the SMSL M8A. Anyone have experience with both of these dacs?

gorg

i tested the topping d50 with linux and also with an old sony cdp-911 optical connected. sounds very good but!!!

my cheaper modified sony cdp-411 sounds better than boths with crappies jrc4558 opamps.

'Modified'... sounds mysterious... what have you modified?

Jimmy

This is great, even though I think its better that our devices get measured by Amir, manufacture samples may not reflect all production.
Examples: Benchmark Dac3 review, also my D30 was full of Capxon and no Nichicons..

I guess that only the first D30's revisions came fitted with Nichicon caps, mine also uses capxon in all places but the opa2134 power pins where it uses elna's (at least it's what's printed on them), however there's unlikely to be any sonic differences caused by this alone, none of these caps are in the audio path and values are large enough, so unless they are fake/defective (don't match their values), the only effect may be in terms of longevity, but the D30 doesn't even run hot, so that shouldn't be a problem.

There are a few revisions of the D30, changing many things, not only the caps, but also the oscillators, the spdif input circuitry, and even the xmos chip used. If these changes are for better or worse I don't know, the one that I have is almost identical to the one measured by Amir, but with capxon caps, and it sounds fine.

Reddy

'Modified'... sounds mysterious... what have you modified?

:disable dout with hardmod, this is default on.
:remove mute circuit
:new circuit for the opamps supply
:shunt for the opamps (low impendance)
: recap the d/a converter
: remove the headphone circuit
: better resistors (low noise), dale and welwyn 0,1% for the output circuit and i2s
: damping the case

the difference is huge! not comparable.

Last edited:

Titu

hey everyone! I had a question. Trying to determine which one would be the best. Im looking into the Topping D50 and the SMSL M8A. Anyone have experience with both of these dacs?

I had a SMSL M8a and I advise you to try something else.
Sound is nice and clear but there's something wrong with the sound-stage.
Last days I tried few CD player and one converter and they were all better on this point, even my laptop is better (on this point only).

Veri

Master Contributor
I had a SMSL M8a and I advise you to try something else.
Sound is nice and clear but there's something wrong with the sound-stage.
Last days I tried few CD player and one converter and they were all better on this point, even my laptop is better (on this point only).

Considering the M8 measured near equal to the Topping D50, I would find it hard to believe that the M8A has "something wrong with the sound-stage" ... it has not been reviewed here though, so who knows the M8A might be a step backwards, but in terms of sound stage? :confused: Someone else here liked his M8A a lot for example.

Perhaps @amirm can check, I believe he has an M8A.

Titu

I think Amirm tried the first M8, equipped with 9018 and mine was the one equipped with 9038q2m ... Is this an explanation?

But believe me, I am the first to be surprised, and that's why I asked for information on the sound-stage of the D50 on the previous page.

I found some subjective comments on a shallow scene, but I did not expect that. Mine may be a problem.

On the other hand, I must say that the lateral positioning of the instruments is very precise and stable.

Last edited:

livlif

I think Amirm tried the first M8, equipped with 9018 and mine was the one equipped with 9038q2m ... Is this an explanation?

But believe me, I am the first to be surprised, and that's why I asked for information on the sound-stage of the D50 on the previous page.

I found some subjective comments on a shallow scene, but I did not expect that. Mine may be a problem.

On the other hand, I must say that the lateral positioning of the instruments is very precise and stable.

So you prefer the D50. You just think the soundstage is a little thin?

Titu

So you prefer the D50. You just think the soundstage is a little thin?
Not "just a little". It's really flat.
I'm like you,I don't know the D50, but I know the M8 and it's disappointing.
Really good for everything but the sound-stage.

So I think that I will try a D50, or a DX7s, maybe a smsl M10...

livlif

Well I ordered both from Amazon. I'll give them both a try. Anyone have advice on which filter to use with the D50?

Titu

Well I ordered both from Amazon. I'll give them both a try. Anyone have advice on which filter to use with the D50?
Great. I'm waiting your review.

And If you do not find anything wrong with the sound-stage of the M8, it may mean that mine is broken.

chosen_too

Hi!

Just bought this DAC, i'm planning to use it with Raspberry Pi 3, heard a lot of jitter and noise via usb, should i buy standalone SPDIF HAT (like Hifiberry Digi Pro) with spdif output or just plug it in raspberry's USB?

LittleNemo

Hi!

Just bought this DAC, i'm planning to use it with Raspberry Pi 3, heard a lot of jitter and noise via usb, should i buy standalone SPDIF HAT (like Hifiberry Digi Pro) with spdif output or just plug it in raspberry's USB?

I was using Digi+Pro via spdif on Volumio and it sounded pretty good but I thought it sounded a bit thin. Then I upgraded to the USBridge and it really brought out the best of both making the midrange full and bass very punchy thick. Currently having a few hiccups doing Native DSD and high resolutions but I think that’s because the volumio kernel.

In terms of sound difference between USB and SPDIF if you look at Amir’s testing there really isn’t a significant difference between the two. I firmly believe it’s placebo thinking that the SPDIF is more analog and has a warmth to it. But when I ran usb off the pi and spdif off the digi+pro I didn’t notice a difference

I would recommend the USBridge but if not then I think you should go ALLO Digione or Digione Signature if you are dead set on the SPDIF

chosen_too

I was using Digi+Pro via spdif on Volumio and it sounded pretty good but I thought it sounded a bit thin. Then I upgraded to the USBridge and it really brought out the best of both making the midrange full and bass very punchy thick. Currently having a few hiccups doing Native DSD and high resolutions but I think that’s because the volumio kernel.

In terms of sound difference between USB and SPDIF if you look at Amir’s testing there really isn’t a significant difference between the two. I firmly believe it’s placebo thinking that the SPDIF is more analog and has a warmth to it. But when I ran usb off the pi and spdif off the digi+pro I didn’t notice a difference

I would recommend the USBridge but if not then I think you should go ALLO Digione or Digione Signature if you are dead set on the SPDIF

Thanks, your answer is exactly what I was looking for!

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Is the SMPTE Intermodulation Distortion the same for all DAC-settings (mode1-7)?

Top Bottom