• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
In other news, my Topping D50 arrived yesterday and today I had the pleasure to set it up. First off holy shit this thing is SMALL it doesn't seem so small on pictures!

kLfGVK4.png

Secondly, concerning the groundless cable that was mentioned earlier, no dice. My PC can't seem to send a signal through it to the Topping, so I'm just using the stock USB cable provided. For power I'm using this very cheap Aliexpress battery pack. Seems to work surprisingly fine actually.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-8...-Battery-Storage-Clip-Holder/32820217325.html (EDIT: might have to retract my statement about this cheap battery box, experiencing drop-outs using it).

Sound-wise, it sounds good of course. Different? I can't really tell a lot of difference from my previous DAC, as expected I guess. There *might* be more upper frequency detail in some tracks, my previous DAC had an AKM chip which supposedly had a bit of a roll-off which might explain that. Since I focused on listening for changes I seemed to hear more compression artifacts on Youtube/Spotify at times, but this might just be me trying to hear a change.

For the money this is a great, lightweight and well performing device, on first impression. I did not notice it warming up since this was brought up as well, stays cool to the touch even. If yours gets warm something might be wrong I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Just tested DSD through foobar. DoP admittedly worked a little funky (just foobar hanging and no playback). I looked up what was the best/current way to play DSD and downloaded and set-up DSDtranscoder. Playing DSD of all formats right now natively through foobar, seeking through a file works, no bugs just flawless. I've had foobar crash seeking through a 96Khz FLAC file though, but yeah I don't think that was the Topping at fault but rather ASIO & Foobar not playing along one hundred percent at all times (DSDtranscoder works via ASIO).

gvl

Major Contributor
Please, let's not start the "upsampling makes a good improvement" debate unless you performed some kind of ABX/blind testing. Upsampling is such a bunch of BS, the Topping comes with very high quality FR, passing your source audio in original sample rate just makes sense. Going for "bigger numbers" and claiming big difference seems really questionable. The original sample rate is still being interpolated, whether it's a good or a very good algorithm it's very doubtful to create detail that wasn't there originally.

He said the NOS DAC benefited the most from OS, which is a totally reasonable statement, and this was in comparison with oversampling using Windows mixer. That said I agree it's probably best to let the DAC to do its thing, unless maybe you're experimenting with some fancy filters, like those in HQ Player.

Last edited:

rh0Negative

He said the NOS DAC benefited the most from OS, which is a totally reasonable statement, and this was in comparison with oversampling using Windows mixer. That said I agree it's probably best to let the DAC to do its thing, unless maybe you're experimenting with some fancy filters, like those in HQ Player.
Yes NOS Dac was a like a nigh and day ,I'm wondering if this have anything to do with temps since it was great weather and I had the windows open and R2R11 was running on the warm side
Thanks

gvl

Major Contributor
Yes NOS Dac was a like a nigh and day ,I'm wondering if this have anything to do with temps since it was great weather and I had the windows open and R2R11 was running on the warm side
Thanks

What's your baseline for the comparison? NOS 16/44.1 or resampling using Windows through the audio device settings?

rh0Negative

What's your baseline for the comparison? NOS 16/44.1 or resampling using Windows through the audio device settings?
I'm using JRiver (16bit 44100Hz in OS ) for all my files now ,most of my FLAC files are 44100Hz /24bit JRiver up-sampling comes handy ,before I switched from OS was set 24bit 192000Hz,hard to believe it would make that much difference but it did ,perhaps since R2R11 it's not using filters ?..I'm not sure

Edit; there is no magic button for re-sampling on R2R11 or Topping D50 so Windows ,yes

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm using JRiver (16bit 44100Hz in OS ) for all my files now ,most of my FLAC files are 44100Hz /24bit JRiver up-sampling comes handy ,before I switched from OS was set 24bit 192000Hz,hard to believe it would make that much difference but it did ,perhaps since R2R11 it's not using filters ?..I'm not sure

Edit; there is no magic button for re-sampling on R2R11 or Topping D50 so Windows ,yes

So sounds like it is the removal of the crappy Windows resampler and mixer which brought the improvements, as from my experience going from 4x to 8x upsampling isn't typically a night and day difference. R2R11 is a "True NOS , R-2R discrete ladder DAC", so no built-in (digital) filters indeed... Also try SoX you may like it even better (Tools/Options/Audio/Use SoX for resampling).

Last edited:

rh0Negative

So sounds like it is the removal of the crappy Windows resampler and mixer which brought the improvements, as from my experience going from 4x to 8x upsampling isn't typically a night and day difference. R2R11 is a "True NOS , R-2R discrete ladder DAC", so no built-in (digital) filters indeed...
I'm pretty sure dumping OS mixer made the WOW effect ,it's only my opinion so everyone should take it with the grain of salt,not trying to start any controversy about sample rate for crying out loud ,haha

BTW; got this cheap amp to roll some opamps ,see what works best with D50,will try 1612A that's on the DAC

Cheers

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure dumping OS mixer made the WOW effect

I concur, the improvements I heard were real when Spotify was routed through WDM driver/JRiver, no upsampling. The usual disclaimers apply, ymmv, etc.

Perhaps Amir can somehow check the Windows mixer vs. Wasapi exclusive mode vs. JRiver WDM Driver -> JRiver -> ASIO/Wasapi Exclusive to get some objective data. This shouldn't require any monetary investment, apart from his time.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps Amir can somehow check the Windows mixer vs. Wasapi exclusive mode vs. JRiver WDM Driver -> JRiver -> ASIO/Wasapi Exclusive to get some objective data.
That is definitely planned.

Veri

Master Contributor
For some reason I much prefer FIR mode 4, Linear phase slow roll-off filter. Personal preference or bad habit I don't know but the roll-off makes things smoother for me :oops::oops:

chungjun

I concur, the improvements I heard were real when Spotify was routed through WDM driver/JRiver, no upsampling. The usual disclaimers apply, ymmv, etc.

Tried out JRiver (WDM Driver) over the weekend.

With Spotify, I'm experiencing stutter / click / pops on my Windows 10 (up-to-date) machine. No luck although I've tried to increase the relevant buffer(s) (as suggested here:- https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver).

Any help?

What I've also done:-

Timbo2

With Spotify, I'm experiencing stutter / click / pops on my Windows 10 (up-to-date) machine. No luck although I've tried to increase the relevant buffer(s) (as suggested here:- https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver).

Any help?

Without knowing JRiver or your setup is this going to USB out at some point? Many PCs have two or more chipsets that handle USB. Try another USB port. For example a 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 port.

As I build my own PCs I could tell you what chip did what on what interrupt, but for the less tech inclined simply trying different blocks of ports is probably easier.

Rocco

Just arrived from Amazon. I connected the D50 at the OTG port of my OnePlus 5.
I used Neutron player and it worked perfectly.
First impressions are really nice.
All the formats have been recognized.
I played several 192 24 matherial without any interruption.
I need more time to really evaluate the quality of the sound but first impression is really positive.
The dynamic, the extension and the sound neutrality seems to be very interesting.
Just one remark to the quality of the control knob that seem to be cheap. It is not well centered but this seems have no effect on the actual functions of the D50.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor

Any help?

Bummer, it works for me but unfortunately the WDM driver is known to be problematic in certain instances. Can you play local files w/no clicks in JRiver? If you somehow enabled DSP in JRiver uncheck all boxes in the DSP studio. Make sure the WDM driver is set to 16bit/44.1kHz in the Windows sound device settings. How is your DAC set up in JRiver? If your DAC comes with a ASIO driver try to use that instead of WASAPI in JRiver, or vice versa. Try to disable event style in device settings if using WASAPI. Once Spotify is playing through JRiver press the Stop button in JRiver, it will mute playback temporarily (Spotify will still be playing but no sound), the sound will resume in 10-15 seconds by itself, I do get an occasional clicking problem and pressing Stop seems to help. There is a consistent initial 1 second stuttering right after I hit Play in Spotify, but then it is clean.

Hawkwindx

My D50 arrived today. I hooked it up, and played some music. Sounds distorted. Found that my iMac isn't completely recognizing the D50. Hope someone can help me get this running.

I have macOS Sierra 10.12.6, iMac Late 2015. Headphone amp is Bottlehead Crack. When I go to System Preferences/Sound, I find that when I select D50 it shows a message "The selected device has no output". When I listen through the headphones connected to the headphone amp (which is connected to D50---->USB to iMac) I can hear sound. I can turn up and down the volume on the DAC but that hasn't helped the sound quality.

I am also using Audirvana. It lists the D50 as "Active Audio Device". I am using Tidal also. Under Tidal settings, D50 is an option, and it allows me to select it.

When I turn up the volume on the D50 to -12.5dB, the bass sounds distorted. Do I use one of the roll off filters?
sound.png

alex

My D50 arrived today. I hooked it up, and played some music. Sounds distorted. Found that my iMac isn't completely recognizing the D50. Hope someone can help me get this running.

I have macOS Sierra 10.12.6, iMac Late 2015. Headphone amp is Bottlehead Crack. When I go to System Preferences/Sound, I find that when I select D50 it shows a message "The selected device has no output". When I listen through the headphones connected to the headphone amp (which is connected to D50---->USB to iMac) I can hear sound. I can turn up and down the volume on the DAC but that hasn't helped the sound quality.

I am also using Audirvana. It lists the D50 as "Active Audio Device". I am using Tidal also. Under Tidal settings, D50 is an option, and it allows me to select it.

When I turn up the volume on the D50 to -12.5dB, the bass sounds distorted. Do I use one of the roll off filters?View attachment 12708

Hey hawkwind, I am also using it with a mac.

When using a USB dac on mac its important to make sure you are using 44100 kz as the format. The DAC should tell you in its display what the format is.

You can set the format by going to Applications -> Audio MIDI setup -> click on d50 on the right -> choose 41000.

This should make a big audible difference.

Good luck!

Top Bottom