• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Hawkwindx

I like how the D50 looks.
D50 1.jpg
D50 2.jpg

Hawkwindx

Hey hawkwind, I am also using it with a mac.

When using a USB dac on mac its important to make sure you are using 44100 kz as the format. The DAC should tell you in its display what the format is.

You can set the format by going to Applications -> Audio MIDI setup -> click on d50 on the right -> choose 41000.

This should make a big audible difference.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the reply. It looks like I do have it set to 41000 kz - here's a screenshot - does it look correct?

Attachments

• Audio MIDI setup.png
    Audio MIDI setup.png
    309 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

Hawkwindx

So I hooked up the previous DAC I was using, a Fiio Alpen 2 E17K, the computer recognizes it, and "The selected device has no output" also shows up in System Preferences/Sound. The music does not sound distorted.

I wonder if I am hooking up the D50 correctly. Couldn't be difficult. I am plugging the "DC5V" into the computer, and the "USB" to the computer as well. I switched the RCA plugs to different ones and still find the D50 sounds distorted.

I wonder if this D50 is defective, or am I doing something wrong?

gvl

Major Contributor
Also the Dac shows -23db volume, if you have a volume control downstream of the Dac try adjusting the volume up to 0db.

Hawkwindx

Yes, for example, Audirvana is set to 0dB and the DAC is set to 00.0dB. The distortion I'm hearing sounds sort of like the whole signal is not coming through.

I tried using an iPhone plug end of the charger to plug the USB into, and also tried another iPad charger, but same results.

Hawkwindx

They often come with printers.
Thanks! I do have a cord like that. I tried it and have the same results.

Very disappointed! I would think that one would be able to just plug it in and use it, which apparently this DAC is designed to do, but it's not working for me. Guess I'll return it tomorrow.

Going to travel to visit friends in Seattle also tomorrow.

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

gvl

Major Contributor
I'd also try it on a Windows PC, W10 with all the latest updates shouldn't need a driver .

Hawkwindx

Maybe I need to use the optical input on the D50? Do I use the headphone input for this on a Mac?

The D50 did not come with a Coaxial cord or Optical cord, but it has inputs available for both. I do not own any of these cords.

Aweicc

Yes, optical out is always the headphone out on the Mac, however, apple has removed the optical function from their computers in the last few years. You better double check that your imac still support optical out.

gvl

Major Contributor
Optical has limits for DSD rates I think, if that's of any importance.

Ori0n

So just to confirm, there are no issues charging the D50 via a USB port but a 5V/1A phone charger can also be used? Either way, no sound issues? Cheers.

gvl

Major Contributor
So just to confirm, there are no issues charging the D50 via a USB port but a 5V/1A phone charger can also be used? Either way, no sound issues? Cheers.

There is nothing to charge in the D50 strictly speaking, but powering from a 5V USB phone charger at least should cause no damage. As for sound issues, who knows, depends how crappy the charger is. I'd rather use something like 5V iFi iPower or better.

Speaking of which, how about a budget 5V PSU shootout? Methinks $50 for iPower is too much, there must be a comparable device at 1/2 the price.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reactions: gvl

charlesk

Thanks! I do have a cord like that. I tried it and have the same results.

Very disappointed! I would think that one would be able to just plug it in and use it, which apparently this DAC is designed to do, but it's not working for me. Guess I'll return it tomorrow.

Going to travel to visit friends in Seattle also tomorrow.

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

If you still have your D50, try to test your amplifier first to make sure the amp is working fine. Also sometimes if the analog (RCA) input at the amp has not been used, it also can cause the distortion.

If your amp is ok, then high chance that your D50 is defective (since at this point you already confirming that there is no issue with source (PC), amp, and power supply).

Don't bother checking with COAX or Fiber . . if using those are ok, thats mean that the USB defective, which still mean your D50 defective

Top Bottom