• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I am not questioning that you heard a noise. I question your assumption as to how it occurred. Not personal, I assure you.
Now you point is a bit more clear. Bad switching supplies often pollute the mains, some are better than others.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Now you point is a bit more clear. Bad switching supplies often pollute the mains, some are better than others.

It takes something more substantial than switching supplies in domestic audio gear to 'pollute' the main supply.

Last edited:

PyramidElectric

It takes something more substantial than switching supplies in domestic audio gear to 'pollute' the main supply.
I kind of agree with you in that all the other SMPS I tested put such a small amount of noise into my system, it's basically insignificant (as I don't listen to music with my amp turned up to full volume).
However, they did all put *some* noise out, and each one put a slightly different noise out.
The exception is the iFi which put so much noise out it was audible way below maximum volume, which is what alerted me to this issue in the first place.
Are you claiming that it's impossible for any SMPS to put any measurable/audible noise back into the mains?
Do you know *exactly* how the iPower works? They basically claim they're using some special (noise cancelling) technology to be 'noise free', if you accept that to be true you surely have to accept that any previous experience re SMPS and noise leakage into the mains to be irrelevant no?

Wombat

Master Contributor
I kind of agree with you in that all the other SMPS I tested put such a small amount of noise into my system, it's basically insignificant (as I don't listen to music with my amp turned up to full volume).
However, they did all put *some* noise out, and each one put a slightly different noise out.
The exception is the iFi which put so much noise out it was audible way below maximum volume, which is what alerted me to this issue in the first place.
Are you claiming that it's impossible for any SMPS to put any measurable/audible noise back into the mains?
Do you know *exactly* how the iPower works? They basically claim they're using some special (noise cancelling) technology to be 'noise free', if you accept that to be true you surely have to accept that any previous experience re SMPS and noise leakage into the mains to be irrelevant no?

My comment was related to polluting the mains system, not home system device interactions with each other.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
We're all off-topic now. :)

I've measured background noise inside BURSON PLAY DAC/headamp combo (previous PCB version) coming from the SMPS boost-converters inside that were polluting the ground and entire PCB and manufacturer did resolved the issue by changing SMPS regulators, increasing the ground plane from 50% to about 100% covering of the PCB and by adding > 30 caps (polarised and polarised). So, with a good design and implementation SMPS RFI issues could be resolved.

More than that, adding linear regulators after SMPS decreases the RFI even more, if I'm remembering well this is what BENCHMARK does inside it's devices.

PyramidElectric

My comment was related to polluting the mains system, not home system device interactions with each other.
That's the thing, even if I disconnect the iPower from the Dac (so it's not connected to anything) it still causes the buzz/humming to come through the speakers, unplugging it makes it stop. The only way it's 'connected' to the amp is that they're both plugged into the mains.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Spurious noise cause on the line by the dirty supply. Don't think it would bother kitchen appliances, but can come through the audio equipment.

Veri

Master Contributor
That's the thing, even if I disconnect the iPower from the Dac (so it's not connected to anything) it still causes the buzz/humming to come through the speakers, unplugging it makes it stop. The only way it's 'connected' to the amp is that they're both plugged into the mains.
Well then obviously, you're in need of an iFi Audio AC iPurifier Filter! (lol)

ifi-audio-ac-ipurifier-filtre-secteur-actif-avec-detection-phase-et-terre.jpg

rh0Negative

Well the post above claims that the iFi contaminates(?) your mains for some reason, if really true that may be a problem depending on your set-up.

With a D50+dedicated amp set-up I personally wouldn't want to use the iFi though, plain USB power works fine according to amir's measurements, and while battery-based or linear power supply-based 5V supply could offer mild improvements to the noise, the range this noise occurs in shouldn't really make for audible differences. Which makes me question if it's really worth investing in some exotic power equipment, the Topping D50 is what, €200? Why invest in €50+ of power supply when your average laptop USB port is really, fairly clean all things considered?
I will most likely replace iPower based on the measurements alone in the mean time I'm enjoying background-noise free D50,there is definite improvement over USB DC cable
By the way I have Kingrex 13v DC ,similar to this one http://www.kingrex.com/products.php?c=6&s=8 and was wondering if I could mod it for 5v ?..not looking forward to buying another linear PSU =>$

Zek

Major Contributor
In SPECS:
Output rating:5V /7.5V / 9V / 13V 3A
so - you can do this.

rh0Negative

Zek

Major Contributor
Power bank will be the best choice. ;)

Cheers.

mrfluffy

Forum Donor
I love the measurements talk but how does this dac sound? I have a lot of schiit gear that I'll be selling off soon.

lotse888

I concur. I got mine about 1 month ago. I love the sound of the DAC. Comparing to my generic 9018S DAC, the D50 sounds definitely substantially better. For the price, absolutely no complain.

alex

Just got one of these, there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality over my LGV30's DAC. Slightly better separation is the main thing I've noticed, along with slightly more detail retrieval. I wasn't expecting much improvement so I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm using it with a Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp for a very nice setup that cost a bit less than 500 USD. The D50 is also quite small which is nice.

https://imgur.com/a/GASjTe7

JWzCY2B.jpg

GASjTe7

Top Bottom