• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So, it appears that though measurements indicate a "winner", these two are audibly very similar in performance. In fact, the Magni has more power, and lower output impedance. Though the latter might not be useful if I'm stuck in low gain mode on the Magni when using 16-32 Ohm IEMs, but very little volume control due to the high power design. So, this probably leaves them at a subjective draw for those testing with their ears.

Sounds like a lot of qualifiers, but I'm pleased to see the Topping do well, though it is actually more expensive. I own it, and it drives my DT880 Pro 250 and DT880 Prem 600's perfectly.

Another great review Amir, thanks!
As someone who owned both, I sold the Magni and kept the Topping.
The design simply has too much power to be useful at all with low impedance headphones or IEM's.
You literally have 0 volume control and at really low volumes (on the POT) there was a very audible channel imbalance.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe because the Ken Doll is not anatomically correct and Barbi is very frustrated.
I missed the significance of this reading it as horseplay when it was infact a insult.

Member @rebbiputzmaker who has considerable previous in this regard and has be warned many times account privilege is now suspended for a period of 30 days.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to add, even though the output impedance on the 1/4" connector is high, even my ATH-M4ox's have improved sound when connected, vs my FIIO E12A or my Clarett 4Pre (the latter being expected). Interesting, though subjective.

Dana reed

I'm not saying low gain. I'm saying low volume.
I can concur that at low pot settings there is more channel imbalance on the magni 3 than on my jotunheim. I think schiit have addressed this saying that the smaller pots tend to have this issue. I find the jotunheim to be much better with sensitive headphones for this reason (at least if the top of the case is grounded ;) )

*edit* I also just received my DX7s from massdrop today so it will be interesting to see how it handles IEMS with low impedance, given its high output impedance.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I can concur that at low pot settings there is more channel imbalance on the magni 3 than on my jotunheim. I think schiit have addressed this saying that the smaller pots tend to have this issue. I find the jotunheim to be much better with sensitive headphones for this reason (at least if the top of the case is grounded ;) )

*edit* I also just received my DX7s from massdrop today so it will be interesting to see how it handles IEMS with low impedance, given its high output impedance.
I've had no problems with mine, I listened to my 1More Triple and Quad drivers via my DX7 for quite some time

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let us know...

Dana reed

Yes, hopefully after work tonight will have some time to play. Both with headphones and using it with speakers. Looks like from the DX7s manual that the RCA and XLR lineouts are not preamp outs, meaning they're fixed volume, correct?

sssn

As someone who owned both, I sold the Magni and kept the Topping.
The design simply has too much power to be useful at all with low impedance headphones or IEM's.
You literally have 0 volume control and at really low volumes (on the POT) there was a very audible channel imbalance.

Try reducing the volume digitally. When using a 24- or 32-bit DAC, you have quite significant digital headroom to reduce volume without harming dynamic range and SNR too much.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Try reducing the volume digitally. When using a 24- or 32-bit DAC, you have quite significant digital headroom to reduce volume without harming dynamic range and SNR too much.
Why would I want to waste time with adjusting the volume Digitally? Especially when I have multiple Amps connected at once....

Also the Magni3 RCA output is a Preamp output, making it useless for stacking Amps like I do.

Has anyone sent Amir a FiiO K5?
Would love to see a comparison between these two and the K5 since it's in the same price range.

FiiO's E10K did alright for what it cost.

Second this. From what I can find so far, of all the Chinese desktop amps other than Audio-GD, the K5 is the only unit with a low output impedance according to their specs (<1 ohms). Could be a good desktop solution for those on a budget and real estate restrictions.

Jimmy

The effect of an amplifier's output impedance is overrated, obviously within some limits, and sometimes it's even a good thing to have high output impedance, if a headphone has anemic bass it may even help.

The problem with high impedance outputs is more related to IEM use, but IEMs main use (IMHO) is for mobile applications (smartphones, mobile players, …), not with desktop amplifiers.

Regarding the FIIO K5, I don't know how they have circumvented the 10 ohm typical output impedance of TPA6120A2, but I suspect that they have replaced the output resistors with inductors or ferrites, which is more of a tradeoff.

Anyway, in my opinion a decent implementation of the TPA6120A2 is good enough and rivals high end discrete designs, I own a Monoprice Desktop AMP that uses it (I have replaced the stock 15v power supply with a higher quality one, with noticeable differences in sound and stability), feeding it with a Topping D30 (it improves the onboard DAC's sound by some margin), and it sounds equal or better than other combinations that I've heard costing several times as much.

The Monoprice's circuit design is almost the same as one of the examples found in the TPA6120 datasheet, which also uses OPA2134, they haven't reinvented the wheel and just followed the manufacturer's suggestions, I use it only on low gain mode which is more than enough, in high gain mode some distortion can be heard if the input is too hot.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Hey Amir, do you still have the unit? I'm wondering how the preamp portion of the Magni 3 performs since I still keep one around just for my JBL speakers

The effect of an amplifier's output impedance is overrated, obviously within some limits, and sometimes it's even a good thing to have high output impedance, if a headphone has anemic bass it may even help.

The problem with high impedance outputs is more related to IEM use, but IEMs main use (IMHO) is for mobile applications (smartphones, mobile players, …), not with desktop amplifiers.

Regarding the FIIO K5, I don't know how they have circumvented the 10 ohm typical output impedance of TPA6120A2, but I suspect that they have replaced the output resistors with inductors or ferrites, which is more of a tradeoff.

Anyway, in my opinion a decent implementation of the TPA6120A2 is good enough and rivals high end discrete designs, I own a Monoprice Desktop AMP that uses it (I have replaced the stock 15v power supply with a higher quality one, with noticeable differences in sound and stability), feeding it with a Topping D30 (it improves the onboard DAC's sound by some margin), and it sounds equal or better than other combinations that I've heard costing several times as much.

The Monoprice's circuit design is almost the same as one of the examples found in the TPA6120 datasheet, which also uses OPA2134, they haven't reinvented the wheel and just followed the manufacturer's suggestions, I use it only on low gain mode which is more than enough, in high gain mode some distortion can be heard if the input is too hot.
Yea not trying to imply that a higher OI and low dampening factor is always undesirable (I actually own higher OI amps for the reasons you stated), but many will take it into account when shopping for an amp and how it would pair with their headphones.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey Amir, do you still have the unit? I'm wondering how the preamp portion of the Magni 3 performs since I still keep one around just for my JBL speakers
It is my own unit so yes, I still have it. But also have a boatload of new gear to review so ask me again in the future when I have a lull in testing.

Fabio

Hi everyone! First time here and would like to congratulate everyone for the high level discussion. I have a D30/A30 stack and just ordered a Mrspeaker Aeon flow closed. A planar HP rated Efficiency: 92dB/mW 13 ohms.

The question is:

Will be A30 able to drive it properly? How to calculate the delivered power under 13 ohms impedance so I could figure it out how loud it'll play

And upgrade it to an used vioeletric v100 at 500 usd would made any sense?

Thanks everyone

Top Bottom