• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

vinha916

A30 is an older Topping product. L30 surpassed it in every level. There is an A30 Pro coming which will have more power than L30 and more power than 6.3mm output A90, but not as powerful as 4.4mm/XLR output A90. For the HD6xx, L30 will suffice :D I use my L30 with this headphone, too.

In 2020 I would not recommend the older A30. I would recommend L30, or maybe schiit heresy/jds atom which are both also quite good.

I am new to headphone I have Topping D30 using with my desktop. IF i add L30 with SENNHEISER HD 58X , is it a good match?

vinha916

I am about to pull a trigger but I saw SENNHEISER HD 6XX 300ohm or
beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition 600 Ohm
Is it better than SENNHEISER HD 58X ?

Last edited:

pipebomb

Question -
Can either Topping A30 or the Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy simultaneously output sound to headphones and speakers?

I'm using and Audient id4 audio interface, balancerd R+L sends sound to speakers, and headphone jack to headphones. The issues is they're cranked at 80-90% volume and I would like a box that receives signal from Audient jacks, and sends a more powerful signal to headphones as an amp and speakers as pre-amp simultaneously.

f78fk

Method 1:(not guaranteed stability)
2* 1kohm resistors needed
Find the output resistor. Find the end that connects to the output, solder one end of the 1k resistor to that point.
Find the inverting input of the opamp (the corresponding channel). Connect the other end of the 1kohm resistor here.
Same for the other channel.

Method 2: (guaranteed stability)
220ohm resistors *2
1k resistors *2
560p capacitors *4
connect two of the capacitors together to one capacitor(like a 220p capacitor with a middle node)
Connect one end to the output of the 2134 opamp, the other end to the inverting input.
Connect one end of 220ohm resistor to the output end of output resistor described in method1. And the other end to the inverting input of the 2134 opamp.
Connect one end of 1kohm resistor to the middle point of the capacitors and the other end to the amplifier output.
Do the same for the other channel.

Now you have a composite amplifier with opa2134 and tpa6120a2 that has super low distortion and zero output impedance.

Extra: you can use opa1612 or opa2140 or opa2156 to replace the opa2134. There will be even lower distortion and very low output offset.

I have opa1612 *2,
220ohm resistors *2
1k resistors *2
560p capacitors *4

How to modify it? Thanks for your help.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got one of these and happy to report the temps even in high gain mode on a pair of Sennheiser HD650's for an hour isn't any warmer than an SMSL SP200 or Asgard 3 runs. I have several DAC's and the Topping E50 was really good but I like the SMSL M300 better (more filter/color options) and also I had a longer cable already to run them side by side. There's no hum in standby mode, so I'd return it if you get one that does that. For pairing though, I thought the SMSL HO200 with the Topping E50 sounded better together, and the A30 Pro and SMSL M300 sounds better in a pair using default filters on each. Can't go wrong with any of them, but the A30 is my end game amplifier since I get gear in all the time to test out and this will handle anything. The M300 is a lot darker blue than it looks on the box, had the red one at it was darker too. With the 6.35mm adapter and a 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced one I had, can now test any headphones and cables that come in :) On Amazon I got it in excellent/used condition for $279 minus the 5 percent Amazon card discount, even less than the used ones on eBay. Check all the listings for it for used ones if you want to save a bundle. They hide it in the main listings, and there was like 10 entries for the amp from different vendors, also check the different colors because then it pops up if there's "used from" price box.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I just got one of these and happy to report the temps even in high gain mode on a pair of Sennheiser HD650's for an hour isn't any warmer than an SMSL SP200 or Asgard 3 runs. I have several DAC's and the Topping E50 was really good but I like the SMSL M300 better (more filter/color options) and also I had a longer cable already to run them side by side. There's no hum in standby mode, so I'd return it if you get one that does that. For pairing though, I thought the SMSL HO200 with the Topping E50 sounded better together, and the A30 Pro and SMSL M300 sounds better in a pair using default filters on each. Can't go wrong with any of them, but the A30 is my end game amplifier since I get gear in all the time to test out and this will handle anything. The M300 is a lot darker blue than it looks on the box, had the red one at it was darker too. With the 6.35mm adapter and a 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced one I had, can now test any headphones and cables that come in :) On Amazon I got it in excellent/used condition for $279 minus the 5 percent Amazon card discount, even less than the used ones on eBay. Check all the listings for it for used ones if you want to save a bundle. They hide it in the main listings, and there was like 10 entries for the amp from different vendors, also check the different colors because then it pops up if there's "used from" price box.
Are you referring to the topping a30 pro? Because this is actually a review of the original topping A30.
Question -
Can either Topping A30 or the Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy simultaneously output sound to headphones and speakers?

I'm using and Audient id4 audio interface, balancerd R+L sends sound to speakers, and headphone jack to headphones. The issues is they're cranked at 80-90% volume and I would like a box that receives signal from Audient jacks, and sends a more powerful signal to headphones as an amp and speakers as pre-amp simultaneously.
Yes it has pass through at the same time as being a headphone amp.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Let’s get back on Topic please. This is an official review thread and we want to keep off topic posts to a minimum. Several off topic posts have been removed.

Top Bottom