• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Technically the Element X is better, better at microdetails - but it sounds slightly flat and boring (just came from a live-event; the Yggdrasil v2 reproduced that feeling much closer. I have not decided yet, but sigma-delta DACs have a different sound than multibit (ladder) DACs. My input was that there is more in the world of audio than perfect measurements. Currently I need more time to decide (I love more money on my account which makes me think of element X). Based on the measurements of the element X I expected this to be easy.....

Ears-only and level-match, otherwise this is just playing Make Believe.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Technically the Element X is better, better at microdetails - but it sounds slightly flat and boring (just came from a live-event; the Yggdrasil v2 reproduced that feeling much closer. I have not decided yet, but sigma-delta DACs have a different sound than multibit (ladder) DACs. My input was that there is more in the world of audio than perfect measurements. Currently I need more time to decide (I love more money on my account which makes me think of element X). Based on the measurements of the element X I expected this to be easy.....

Edit:
After some hours of listening to the element X I though my mind were set on selling the Yggdrasil v2. Then I fired up the Yggdrasil...
You are just playing yourself if you don't do real level matched tests.
A DAC with lower performance doesn't have magic to it. Its just worse. DAC's just process electrical signals. There is no magical sound out of them and no "fun" or "boring" sounds out of them. It simply processes samples from digital to analog. Therefore better performance is better performance; you might not like microdetails and you are used to poor performance at live events.
Infact depending on the type of music you listen to; live events have some of the worst SINAD possible as speakers are turned up very loud and lots of stage equipment doesn't measure well but is built for power over measurements.

However if you are like me and listen to alot of classical and jazz music; where you are often listening to the instrument directly in a public setting (like a opera hall) where everyone is quiet.... then the power of microdetails comes out in your home listening scenario.

TGB

Mystery solved; selecting Filter 7 instead of default filter #1 gave "life" in the audio from Matrix Audio element X.

Edit:
But the headphone amplifier in the element X got a challenge with Audeze LCD-4 (rev2). Getting awfully close to 0dB volume.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Mystery solved; selecting Filter 7 instead of default filter #1 gave "life" in the audio from Matrix Audio element X.

Edit:
But the headphone amplifier in the element X got a challenge with Audeze LCD-4 (rev2). Getting awfully close to 0dB volume.

Are you testing the $3000 unit that was reviewed here?

TGB

I'm only testing the element X - from the Norwegian distributor of Matrix Audio (free of charge).

So the question is; sell the Yggdrasil v2 and buy the element X - or keep current state? :)

Theriverlethe

Flat?
If you mean that the Yggdrasil sounds worse because of distortion then yes. Listen for microdetails.

There is no such thing as "sounding digital" unless you have copious amounts of distortion. You should do ABX blind testing. If you are using sighted bias to confirm what you believe before you listen then you won't get anywhere.

I see nothing in the measurements to suggest the Yggdrasil isn't transparent. Granted, you can get the same or better performance for less than $100.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm only testing the element X - from the Norwegian distributor of Matrix Audio (free of charge).

So the question is; sell the Yggdrasil v2 and buy the element X - or keep current state? :)
Get a Geshelli or JDS if you want to stay American. Or even the new $150 Schiit Balanced DAC... It's better than the Yggdrasil and is transparent so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So the question is; sell the Yggdrasil v2 and buy the element X - or keep current state?
Quit making purchasing decisions using uncontrolled sighted listening conditions. You will make erroneous conclusions and end up with expensive but possibly inferiour sound.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but it sounds more "digital" and flat
I am always mystified by the propagation of "sounds digital" as a disparagement that has been swallowed whole.
Digital has a lack of distortion and noise which is way beyond anything we ever had with analogue methods of recording so it actually describes noiseless clarity and transparency.
How that can be bad is a mystery. I know it was initially thus attacked by powerful companies with no digital product in their very profitable lineup. I was slightly amazed then that people lapped it up but still? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a Geshelli or JDS if you want to stay American. Or even the new $150 Schiit Balanced DAC... It's better than the Yggdrasil and is transparent so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Or save money by keeping what you have IME any differences you hear will evapourate when the volume is matched and you don't know which you are listening to.
If you are desperate to spend money changing to better speakers will make a big difference, or IME just re-positioning the speakers in the room, which is free except for time taken (which is a lot).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So the question is; sell the Yggdrasil v2 and buy the element X - or keep current state?

Only you can answer that. You can save a lot of money by keeping what you have. Many people are completely satisfied with the once deemed best DAC evaaarr (Yggdrasil) by the most experienced and legendary DAC designer (who just only recently finally designed a good USB implementation)

On the other hand ... it will keep on nagging in the back of your mind...

Solution... stop worrying about it and just enjoy the music. Buy another DAC if you need different functionality or looks.

Theriverlethe

Only you can answer that. You can save a lot of money by keeping what you have. Many people are completely satisfied with the once deemed best DAC evaaarr (Yggdrasil) by the most experienced and legendary DAC designer (who just only recently finally designed a good USB implementation)

On the other hand ... it will keep on nagging in the back of your mind...

Solution... stop worrying about it and just enjoy the music. Buy another DAC if you need different functionality or looks.

Normally, I'd agree, but he could probably get something an order of magnitude cheaper and get a lot of money back.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Normally, I'd agree, but he could probably get something an order of magnitude cheaper and get a lot of money back.

yes, very true but one has to pay for a dream or exclusivity. In this case the exclusivity is that a DAC chip is used that did not convert from the usual I2S format. That's the price one pays for doing something different just to be different.
The Yggdrasil was never about optimal performance but about exclusivity and the dream that this results in 'even better' sound.

The owner already paid for it. He has something 'different' and will loose money replacing it with something that merely measures better.

TGB

By selling Yggdrasil v2+Moon 430HAD+Moon MiND2 Network player I will have a lot of cash left (much more than needed for the element X).

So I really would prefer to switch (for purely financial reasons) :)

I have also tested the element X connected to Moon 430HAD headphone amplifier.

Theriverlethe

I am always mystified by the propagation of "sounds digital" as a disparagement that has been swallowed whole.
Digital has a lack of distortion and noise which is way beyond anything we ever had with analogue methods of recording so it actually describes noiseless clarity and transparency.
How that can be bad is a mystery. I know it was initially thus attacked by powerful companies with no digital product in their very profitable lineup. I was slightly amazed then that people lapped it up but still? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The other problem is people rarely get to hear that transparency because so much popular music is terribly recorded and/or mastered.

TGB

The other problem is people rarely get to hear that transparency because so much popular music is terribly recorded and/or mastered.
I have to say the difference between the two is not night and day. And I will listen for both high quality jazz and classical recordings + not so good recordings for more mainstream pop/rock. I still have plenty of time testing; so still not decided.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Im not sure that is what transparency means. I would say the transparent reproduction components enable people to hear exactly how badly recorded and mastered their music is.

Top Bottom