• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you want to get into listening, you could use the RME ADC to record a few songs from the Yggy and the Topping. Level match the files after recording. Let people find out if they hear a difference by making the files downloadable.

Then maybe you could get Steven Gutenberg to give a listen and let us know how this unit competitive with SOTA DACs costing much more compares with the Topping. :)

"Schiit’s flagship converter, the Yggdrasil Analog 2, sells for a fraction of the cost of the best high-end converters, but it’s right up there in performance" quoted from Steve Gutenberg.

This seeing as how Mr. Gutenberg posted this article today.
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-schiit-ever-the-yggdrasil-digital-audio-converter/

The Best Schiit Ever!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I mentioned power isolation. Do you have, or have access to an isolation transformer?
On the one hand, isolation, physical or electrical might be intriguing if we see other measurements that differ and don't know why. On the other hand, I agree for more than $2k it should come with all the space and electrical isolation it needs to perform its function. Or the maker should be very clear what is needed and make it available at additional cost being very clear it won't function properly without such attention.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I mentioned power isolation. Do you have, or have access to an isolation transformer?
We don’t want products that need isolation transformers, I have one but you can’t ( as a manufacturer) expect people to use one. Imo if your dac needs a TX it’s a bad design period.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
We don’t want products that need isolation transformers, I have one but you can’t ( as a manufacturer) expect people to use one. Imo if your dac needs a TX it’s a bad design period.
Well, I do things out of habit and the notion that cleanliness is next to godliness.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
16*6.02 = 96.32dB undithered. Dithered is 110-120dB ish.
Dither costs you half a bit so you lose 3 dB down to 93 dB. How much signal you can then get out of noise is a different animal. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just for fun, I used Amir's project file to run a J-test check on a cheap DAC I had on my bench. Only change from his setup was that I addressed the DAC's ASIO driver directly instead of using ASIO4ALL. The low output will probably give away the identity, but at under $100, that should demonstrate what jitter performance could be engineered into just about any product.
J-Test_ Mystery DAC.png

raband

Out of interest - is there much/any difference in the Topping when using the ASIO drivers vs the ASIO4ALL?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any of these, I suppose:
OK, here is the dashboard. First, as located on top of Audio Precision in the picture (with Topping removed from top of it):

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC on Audio Precision Dashboard Measuremet.png

As noted, this is with AES input. My USB cable is too short and at any rate, I was running the AES digital input tests before so I ran with it. This way we have another data point on the unit.

While everything was connected, I gently picked it up and put it on the floor and took another screen snapshot:
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Wood Floor Dashboard Measurement.png

There are tiny variations but those are normal as all the measurements are dancing around a bit prior to taking the snapshot.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmmm. I see that the frequency counter is now showing the correct value at 1.00000 kHz. I wondered if the USB input is running too fast so reconnected that and measured one more time:
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Day 2 Dashboard Measurement.png

Yup, it is back to 1.00008 kHz. So the USB clock is running fast. If you like your life in the slow lane, use AES (or S/PDIF?) inputs. :D

BTW, this is your 2nd day warm up snapshot. :) Performance is identical to day one.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, here is the dashboard. First, as located on top of Audio Precision in the picture (with Topping removed from top of it):

View attachment 13520

As noted, this is with AES input. My USB cable is too short and at any rate, I was running the AES digital input tests before so I ran with it. This way we have another data point on the unit.

While everything was connected, I gently picked it up and put it on the floor and took another screen snapshot:
View attachment 13521

There are tiny variations but those are normal as all the measurements are dancing around a bit prior to taking the snapshot.
So now is the clock speed right. Showing 1.00000 kHz. Whoops a few seconds late. And actually that is expected since with AES3 it uses a PLL to synch with the source.

The on board clock is maybe 80 ppm fast, but synched over AES3 its working correctly.

Oh, and since numbers worsened you must have a bad "floor". No wonder all your results are suspect. ;)

EDITED: due to replies during my posting.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Where has the 80ppm clock error gone?
Can't get anything past you guys. :) I noticed that and remeasured. See my previous post. It is the USB that has the fast clock.

derp1n

Oh, and since numbers worsened you must have a bad "floor". No wonder all your results are suspect. ;)

I propose all measurements should be suspended until Amir has an exorcist (or the audiophool equivalent) visit and cleanse his measurement area of THDaemons.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I propose all measurements should be suspended until Amir has an exorcist (or the audiophool equivalent) visit and cleanse his measurement area of THDaemons.

Yeah, least he could do is get a Shun Mook mpingo disc or something.

Or maybe get a seance going and contact Peter Belt. Maybe you can get an ouiji board made of mpingo wood.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Something somewhere somehow is causing a difference between these measurements and the other testers.

Top Bottom