• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

DeepSpace57

Yeah you want to turn Exclusive Mode on, Force Volume Max on, MQA passthru off, Loudness normalization off. This is working for me. Still get the annoying pops when it has to switch sample rate...

Pops stems from MacOs. If you change the sample rate as 768, those pops reveal themselves very much. I fixed the issue by following steps below:

- Tidal exclusive off
- have the system volume of your Mac maximum
- open MIDI, chose D5, have the master level max
- Tidal exclusive on

This problem emerged through the last update of tidal.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Pops stems from MacOs. If you change the sample rate as 768, those pops reveal themselves very much. I fixed the issue by following steps below:

- Tidal exclusive off
- have the system volume of your Mac maximum
- open MIDI, chose D5, have the master level max
- Tidal exclusive on

This problem emerged through the last update of tidal.
Let me try that. These pops are annoying. What sample rate did you set in the audio MIDI setup?

Harry1973

Any Sabaj D5 filter experiments? I listen today hours and hours of music and later felt a bit tired. I connect chord mojo back after many days and everything was fine. Listening to a quiet track with vocals (end part of David Crosby song Clory) in a totally quiet room. Fast linear and apodozing presents some "hiss" or other unconfortabe stuff to ears when there is basically nothing going on between words. Slow minimum is closest to Mojos quietness when vocals take a break. ...hmm, Mojo in the long term might be still more enjoyable. Time will tell. -All this listeng via loudspeakers. Just thought I should share this if anyone wants to play with filters.

DeepSpace57

Tried this and I'm still getting the pops.

probably cause you still somehow use macos`s environment. What do you see on the screen of D5 when you change sample rates of the audio MIDI setup, or when a MQA track plays on Tidal? If it is the same as the assigned sample rate, and never changes, this means macos controls everything. You should have to change master bar (value 1 & dB 0) under master in Audio MIDI setup.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
probably cause you still somehow use macos`s environment. What do you see on the screen of D5 when you change sample rates of the audio MIDI setup, or when a MQA track plays on Tidal? If it is the same as the assigned sample rate, and never changes, this means macos controls everything. You should have to change master bar (value 1 & dB 0) under master in Audio MIDI setup.

MacOS seems to be jumping back and forth between the Sabaj and my Displayport (monitor speakers), and then jumping around the sample rates.. aghh.

Last edited:

locoliberty

Really wanted this DAC to work out but I use my DAC connected by USB to my Nvidia Shield TV, but all that happens is the Shield TV locks up and crashes. :(

moving down the list to try the SMSL SU-8 now. Unless anyone has a fix for this? I dont like the idea of routing audio through HDMI to the TV and then out by optical to the DAC. Doubt the TVs converters and such are any good.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Unless anyone has a fix for this?

Not sure I understand your concern about the TV translating the HDMI audio signal (digital) to TOSLINK audio signal (digital). But that said what you might want to investigate is an HDMI audio extractor. Monoprice sells one that does 4K@60Hz (video), but obviously there are other companies that make / sell these. Might be worth investigating; you can always return it if it doesn't work.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm , this doesn't seem to be on the Master SINAD chart yet, I'm sure you're very busy, but it does need an update.;)

Hi guys, long time lurker here. This is my first post and I'm torn between the D5 ($480) and the D50s ($320 w/LPS). This will be my first "hifi" DAC. I have been using the first generation Apogee Duet firewire since it came out over a decade ago. This is peak audio quality my ears have been exposed to, so I'm pretty excited to hear whatever I wind up getting. After reading every comment page on both reviews on this forum, I was leaning towards the Sabaj but all the talk of the ESS hump is what's making me "settle" for the Topping. Please help me make a decision.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi guys, long time lurker here. This is my first post and I'm torn between the D5 ($480) and the D50s ($320 w/LPS). This will be my first "hifi" DAC. I have been using the first generation Apogee Duet firewire since it came out over a decade ago. This is peak audio quality my ears have been exposed to, so I'm pretty excited to hear whatever I wind up getting. After reading every comment page on both reviews on this forum, I was leaning towards the Sabaj but all the talk of the ESS hump is what's making me "settle" for the Topping. Please help me make a decision.
The Sabaj is better value with top performance, internal PSU, balanced output, more inputs and included headamp. The hump is not as big as on others like khadas tone board etc, where plenty of people are already very happy despite the 'hump' fault. I would say it is inaudible and not worry about that.

themystical

Really wanted this DAC to work out but I use my DAC connected by USB to my Nvidia Shield TV, but all that happens is the Shield TV locks up and crashes. :(

moving down the list to try the SMSL SU-8 now. Unless anyone has a fix for this? I dont like the idea of routing audio through HDMI to the TV and then out by optical to the DAC. Doubt the TVs converters and such are any good.
I have the same issue with the Nvidia Shield. Can’t seem to find a solution or a fix from Sabaj

deafenears

Forum Donor
I dont like the idea of routing audio through HDMI to the TV and then out by optical to the DAC. Doubt the TVs converters and such are any good.
HDMI to the TV then out by optical to the DAC is all in the digital domain so you're not going to lose anything there.

Alternatively, you could look into the USB to Optical/SPDIF converters. Quick search shows:
NVIDIA recommends the following USB to Digital Optical Audio (SPDIF) adapters:

- Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter

- Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Anyone has problem with sabaj D5 + tidal. Everytime I change track volume on sabaj drops to 70% sometimes 40% (volumie in windows).
I have drivers installed and in tidal exclusive mode with volume passthrough is on.
Ok NVM. I dont know why but I had volume normalization ON o_O
Dont know how that happened :mad:

locoliberty

I have the same issue with the Nvidia Shield. Can’t seem to find a solution or a fix from Sabaj
Same here with the Nvidia shield issue.

Could be driver issue?

I think it is something like that. When I connect my D5 to my computer it only show 32bit 44.1+ rates and I know the Shield doesnt support any of that.

mkawa

Forum Donor
Anyone has problem with sabaj D5 + tidal. Everytime I change track volume on sabaj drops to 70% sometimes 40% (volumie in windows).
I have drivers installed and in tidal exclusive mode with volume passthrough is on.
Ok NVM. I dont know why but I had volume normalization ON o_O
Dont know how that happened :mad:
every time you update and/or reinstall it resets all your preferences. tidal apps are kind of a disaster.. :|

What provides best quality? Keeping the DAC volume maxed and adjusting from source (PC/Tidal/Qobuz...etc)? Or opposite?

Top Bottom