• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The RME ADI-2 DAC is backordered from the US Distributor, though there may be some individual dealers who have them. Those who want one should get on someone's list. I've got an order in right now that won't get filled until about May 1. Now, I sure hope they don't start building them so fast that they suck!

Hybride

Hi, does anybody know if the RME ADI-2 DAC does internal upsampling when feeding 44.1khz through SPDIF?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, does anybody know if the RME ADI-2 DAC does internal upsampling when feeding 44.1khz through SPDIF?
I think you can enable ASRC from spdif. Off by default.

Berdugo

Hello everyone,

I have the Gustard A20H and am pretty happy with it, but since everyone is praising that damn ADI-2 Dac, I'm very tempted to try it... Has anyone had the chance to compare them in terms of sound quality ?

flipflop

Hello everyone,

I have the Gustard A20H and am pretty happy with it, but since everyone is praising that damn ADI-2 Dac, I'm very tempted to try it... Has anyone had the chance to compare them in terms of sound quality ?
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Both devices should be audibly transparent.

Jimmy

It is a feature rich unit, well designed and with a powerful DSP, but, is it audibly better than good DACs costing much less?, probably not. In fact I find the pro version more appealing feature wise and was considering buying one, but the fact that it uses AK4490 chips, although sonically is probably meaningless, makes me wonder if a new revision may be around the corner.

Hello everyone,

McFly

I sold a Chord Qutest I had for over a year for one of these.

A/B between the two DACs into my pre-amp I could not concern a difference, maybe I was able to peg a slight increase in (better - subjective) stage depth with the Qutest. However, the features of this unit outweigh the sound differences if any.

The RME with the combination of direct to power amplifier, the much more accurate/higher increments volume control, and the unbelievably good loudness control were convincing enough to sell my pre-amp also! Only sources now are digital to RME. TV and Digione/roon.

Do yourself a favor and try this little swiss-army-knife DAC out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Eyeballing Amir's previous measurements, it looks like SINAD at 0dBFS, 1kHz, is 112-113. @amirm if you want to quickly throw it on the dashboard, I have an ADI-2 DAC inbound next week (same time as my dual NC500 amp).
Sure, let's do it. Thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Oukkidoukki

I sold a Chord Qutest I had for over a year for one of these.

A/B between the two DACs into my pre-amp I could not concern a difference, maybe I was able to peg a slight increase in (better - subjective) stage depth with the Qutest. However, the features of this unit outweigh the sound differences if any.

The RME with the combination of direct to power amplifier, the much more accurate/higher increments volume control, and the unbelievably good loudness control were convincing enough to sell my pre-amp also! Only sources now are digital to RME. TV and Digione/roon.

Do yourself a favor and try this little swiss-army-knife DAC out.
Adi kills qutest in sound quality no question about it. It’s easily spotted even from youtube videos....there is several.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adi kills qutest in sound quality no question about it. It’s easily spotted even from youtube videos....there is several.
I see the videos you're mentioning. Sorry but we can't compare anything by these. Both units are not level-matched and RME has the Loudness-mode activated...
Anyway, I owned both the Qutest and the RME in the same time and kept the RME, a much better value features-wise.

Top Bottom