• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Hi,

This unit seems very good according to the measurements and reviews.

I have a Topping D10 at the moment, which I am satisfied of. It just lacks a volume knob and a S/PDIF in.
Sound-quality-wise, is the RME ADI-2 DAC worth the extra money? Should I save for it? Will it be tremendously better, and for what (bass? treble?).

I already have decent enough speakers and cannot work acoustic treatment where I live. So I don't see what to upgrade at the moment except the DAC.

Best regards.
I'm gonna have to say no. Placement and treatment are probably what needs help in your situation. That is, unless I missed what you have, your amp and speakers aren't up to snuff. You can only correct for so much with software, in one or two particular positions at best, without a myriad of mic's measuring simultaneously. Even then, it's still a compromise IMHO.

The guys over at RME aren't trying to make home users happy, though this is somewhat of a crossover product. RME makes fantastic pro gear, and the focus is usually on compatibility, and engineering excellence; not so much intuitive software.
TotalMix, which is the mixer/routing software, is quite intuitive once you get a handle on the way it's organized. For "pro" gear, once I finally went RME back in 2013 I never went back. Stability is top notch, drivers are stable, the gear itself is infallible in practice... I use a UFX, UCX, or Babyface (non-pro) depending on the gig. They're all untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

But the fact that the ADI-2 DAC can't use totalmix to store snapshots, and there are no storage slots accessible from the panel, well. I'm not a fan.

@amirm : Hello. Where would the Adi-2 Dac be placed in your Sinad graph? I didn't see it in there.
Hello,
Please read the thread: Amir didn't measure it with his new AP but could do this with another loan unit within next month. :)

PS: @amirm: would be great to see both SINAD with XLR and RCA (and different Ref Levels), Dynamic range, SNR, Crosstalk... :cool: