• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... If you look on top right you see the logo "Pico." PIco makes very popular PC based oscilloscope ...

Mr. T Smith may want to consider this "Pico" instead, it will help him a lot in going thru this catastrophic review of his DAC ...

1569519361935.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't like us over there , but we are all so charming ha ha ..

Weeeeellllllll Thomas, what a great comment...waffle waffle waffle...…..gibberish gibberish...…..burble burble....and that's why the DS DAC is such a terrific product, be good y'all

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please don't tell me they designed the dac with a picoscope.

I think as a rule of thumb your instrumentation should cost more than 1/4 of the retail of the product you're designing.

This does raise an interesting question though - what is the barrier to entry for designing high quality audio electronics? What's the cheapest device that can reliably measure audio performance to say 110db?

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Picosope is not a problem - designing a well performing DAC is about the skill of an engineer, not about a top class measurement instrument.

I'm not familiar with audio electronics design, but how do you know if your design performs well if you don't have instrumentation to confirm that?

Krunok

Major Contributor
I'm not familiar with audio electronics design, but how do you know if your design performs well if you don't have instrumentation to confirm that?

Picoscope is good enough to check your design if you use it properly.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Please don't tell me they designed the dac with a picoscope.

I think as a rule of thumb your instrumentation should cost more than 1/4 of the retail of the product you're designing.

This does raise an interesting question though - what is the barrier to entry for designing high quality audio electronics? What's the cheapest device that can reliably measure audio performance to say 110db?

Sound card plus interface. Say $500 or so.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound card plus interface. Say $500 or so.
Oh so essentially just a really good ADC and software? Is it easy to find ADCs which have a noise floor at -120db?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Picosope is not a problem - designing a well performing DAC is about the skill of an engineer, not about a top class measurement instrument.

Right, given time to build some external test fixtures you could do a lot with nothing but that picoscope. That's engineering.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Oh so essentially just a really good ADC and software? Is it easy to find ADCs which have a noise floor at -120db?
Noise floor, sure. Total noise, harder, but if you use a low noise interface like the Autoranger, you can hit that with ease.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Right, given time to build some external test fixtures you could do a lot with nothing but that picoscope. That's engineering.

Exactly. I remember seeing far better DACs than this PS piece of schiit designed with less capable intruments than Picoscope.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. I remember seeing far better DACs than this PS piece of schiit designed with less capable intruments than Picoscope.

I have a DMM, maybe I should switch careers

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm learning lots of things about test signals I never knew reading that thread with Ted's posts in it. Quite entertaining really. Ted is able to almost show his design gets close to 16 bit resolution. Besides what difference does it make. He says the ear can filter out white noise very easily.

I'm also learning lots about Amir I didn't know. I bet Amir doesn't know it either. :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have a DMM, maybe I should switch careers

I can't really advise on that - neither do I know what DMM is nor I know how old are you to estimate the risks of switching the career. :)

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'd probably be satisfied with those as well, but that misses the point. A single SINAD score doesn't tell us everything we might need to know about the DAC. My example would be fine on a sensitive horn system, but a DAC with -90dB noise floor might not. Both could have the same SINAD ranking.
Would -90 dB be audible, even with very efficient speakers, and in any case, that's the DAC, not the amp, and wouldn't you reduce the power/gain from the amp to compensate for the increased efficiency?

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The important point is getting buried in the chucking graphs around and ego pissing contests again.
It doesn't matter what instruments got used in the design, or the measurement of the final product.
It doesn't matter if the design provides a dac that performs better than out hearing can determine.
Sure it's a nice looking unit. That does matter but it doesn't matter $5,700 worth!
There are a lot of dacs that will perform to this level and above in the $200 to $300 price bracket.
There are a few that will match it for $100.
All I would want to know if I could be bothered to ask is how is the price justifiable?
You could buy the all singing all dancing Benchmark HGC for a third of the price if you wanted one of the best performing dacs.
There are plenty of others that look good and perform better even if that performance is beyond our hearing capability.
It's the price, not the performance with many of these products. This particular dac is a rip off. It's that simple.

Top Bottom