• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Hi all! Can anyone confirm if steaming via playfi still has the 5 second gap issue with the latest firmware? Long story short, using that functionality is really the only way I would introduce this into my chain.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all! Can anyone confirm if steaming via playfi still has the 5 second gap issue with the latest firmware? Long story short, using that functionality is really the only way I would introduce this into my chain.

Still no gapless playback from streaming services except for Spotify (or from Bubblupnp).

bobitto

Forum Donor
Hi guys, need your advise regarding the PW Link implementation. Got it used for $100 and waiting for delivery, but wanted to clarify few questions before.

Right now I play the music from my PC(USB out) via Foobar and TT(RCA) connected to Rotel Rc-1570 pre-amp with DAC and I also have two subs connected to the second pre-out set of rotel with the crossover around 100 adjusted on the subs. I also have a chromecast audio connected to my rotel pre-amp via optical. Experimenting with the Roon/Tidal using a chromecast as a Roon remote. I also have Plex library which I stream often via Plexamp directly to chromecast.

So I want to experiment with the ARC and bought the PW Link and my dilemma is how to try it with chromecast and PC at the same time, so my rotel pre-amp with be getting digital signal via optical. Also I noticed the sample rate will go down to 48kHz, interesting how it will work.

For now I want to connect it like this: Chromecast(Tidal,Spotify,Plex,Roon)>>opt.out>>>PW Link>>opt. out>>Rotel pre-amp with DAC and two sub outs>>amp>>speakers. Thinking how can I connect PC to the PW Link. Is there an optical splitter or something like that, so I can test how the ARC works with music sent from PC and from Chromecast.

Sorry for long post

DonM

Hi guys, need your advise regarding the PW Link implementation. Got it used for $100 and waiting for delivery, but wanted to clarify few questions before.

Right now I play the music from my PC(USB out) via Foobar and TT(RCA) connected to Rotel Rc-1570 pre-amp with DAC and I also have two subs connected to the second pre-out set of rotel with the crossover around 100 adjusted on the subs. I also have a chromecast audio connected to my rotel pre-amp via optical. Experimenting with the Roon/Tidal using a chromecast as a Roon remote. I also have Plex library which I stream often via Plexamp directly to chromecast.

So I want to experiment with the ARC and bought the PW Link and my dilemma is how to try it with chromecast and PC at the same time, so my rotel pre-amp with be getting digital signal via optical. Also I noticed the sample rate will go down to 48kHz, interesting how it will work.

For now I want to connect it like this: Chromecast(Tidal,Spotify,Plex,Roon)>>opt.out>>>PW Link>>opt. out>>Rotel pre-amp with DAC and two sub outs>>amp>>speakers. Thinking how can I connect PC to the PW Link. Is there an optical splitter or something like that, so I can test how the ARC works with music sent from PC and from Chromecast.

Sorry for long post

I have the Martin Logan Unison which is very similar to the PW Link.

You can try the following:

Option 1
  1. Connect the chromecast to the PW Link analog inputs;
  2. Connect the PC via USB to the PW Link toslink inputs.
Option 2 (Install Play Fi on your PC & connect PC & PW Link to your home network preferably via ethernet)
  1. Stream music from PC using Play Fi to the PW Link;
  2. Connect the chromecast to the PW Link toslink inputs.
Option 3
  1. Connect the chromecast & PC to a Toslink Digital Optical Audio Switch;
  2. Connect the optical audio switch to the PW Link toslink inputs.

I will also suggest that you use the Arc Genesis program installed on your PC to calculate the room EQ that will be uploaded to the PW Link.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bobitto

Forum Donor
I have the Martin Logan Unison which is very similar to the PW Link.

You can try the following:

Option 1
  1. Connect the chromecast to the PW Link analog inputs;
  2. Connect the PC via USB to the PW Link toslink inputs.
Option 2 (Install Play Fi on your PC & connect PC & PW Link to your home network preferably via ethernet)
  1. Stream music from PC using Play Fi to the PW Link;
  2. Connect the chromecast to the PW Link toslink inputs.
I will also suggest that you use the Arc Genesis program installed on your PC to calculate the room EQ that will be uploaded to the PW Link.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot. Good advise. Will try next week

WesParker

My thoughts on your setup is that you won't be getting any ARC adjustments on your subwoofers. Maybe that doesn't matter, but seems like it won't have as much positive effect as you'd like.

bobitto

Forum Donor
My thoughts on your setup is that you won't be getting any ARC adjustments on your subwoofers. Maybe that doesn't matter, but seems like it won't have as much positive effect as you'd like.
My subs work fine now as I level matched them at least via REW and Audyssey via my denon AVR. My system is kind of combination of HT and 2.1 music setup when I’m using L/R speakers for stereo with dedicated rotel pre-amp

Attachments

• 5EDD647A-453E-48B5-B952-98766BBC68A0.jpeg
    5EDD647A-453E-48B5-B952-98766BBC68A0.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 114

HorizonsEdge

This has caught my attention and am strongly considering snagging one exclusively for ARC. My setup is:
PC via toslink -> Topping D30 -> Sabaj A20a ->Q150+SB1000 and I am primarily streaming amazon unlimited from my PC.

My questions are:
  1. Where do I place the unit. In front of the DAC or after?
  2. What connections should I use in that configuration?

DonM

This has caught my attention and am strongly considering snagging one exclusively for ARC. My setup is:
PC via toslink -> Topping D30 -> Sabaj A20a ->Q150+SB1000 and I am primarily streaming amazon unlimited from my PC.

My questions are:
  1. Where do I place the unit. In front of the DAC or after?
  2. What connections should I use in that configuration?

I would initially try the following:
  1. Where do I place the unit. In front of the DAC or after? In front
  2. What connections should I use in that configuration? Toslink

bobitto

Forum Donor
Getting weird results with this ARC so far. Connected it via optical out to my pre-amp. Both subs are connected to the pre-amp as well. When testing I hear low frequencies only coming together with right speaker. After the calibration, there is no bass. Hm…. Need to test it more

DonM

Getting weird results with this ARC so far. Connected it via optical out to my pre-amp. Both subs are connected to the pre-amp as well. When testing I hear low frequencies only coming together with right speaker. After the calibration, there is no bass. Hm…. Need to test it more

Try logging into the PW Link device with the Arc software on your iPhone or iPad and turn the Arc settings off. This should allow the audio signal to pass without any adjustments into your preamp.

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
I have been using mine optical in and out. As I reported earlier, I have the pops (which are relatively innocuous IMHO as they are very quiet), as well as the startup glitching. I mentioned that I thought there was a buffering issue, but I have more thoughts since then. Keep in mind that it's pure speculation on my part:

A couple of decades ago, I was interfacing/programming a DSP and I encountered a very similar sounding clicking. After discussing it with the chip designer, he recommended avoiding muting and unmuting unless absolutely necessary. So I added a delay, and voila, no clicks (unless it timed out of course).

I'm guessing the PW-Link has a similar issue, and in addition has a sizable buffer that it needs to process the convolutions. The mute behavior and the buffering behavior are probably interacting to cause the startup glitch. If that's true, the software implementer has the choice between unmuting the playback asap (hoping for the buffer to be full or filled with start-of-track silence) or delaying the playback causing a lack of responsiveness.

What's also interesting is that Tidal played through my Squeezebox has in-between clicks, and Tidal played through the Play-Fi app only has startup clicks. And I don't recall hearing the startup glitch via Play-Fi. My guess is that the Play-Fi app plays better with the DSP's API, and that the Squeezebox implementation does not.

Also, one other interesting datapoint is that I believe a Roon user reported updating his/her player software, and the clicks disappeared.

In any case, I am guessing that a player-side software update is where it's likely going to fix the issue, and that a firmware fix might do things like mess with gapless playback (again a buffering implementation issue). All that being said, I am living with the clicks, as they don't bother me that much.
Just an FYI on the clicks / noise between songs. These can be resolved at the dac level (need to spend a little money). I have Apple Music lossless, apple express, Toslink in, PW Link, Toslink out, DAC, Schiit Frey……. I used a wyred 4 sound DAC2 - no clicks, Topping E30 ($130) - No clicks. I tried the Schiit Modius to match my system - clicks/noise. The Topping and W4S mute the noise/bad signal between songs. Hope this helps. Topping is a great dac according to the test here at ASR.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Just an FYI on the clicks / noise between songs. These can be resolved at the dac level (need to spend a little money). I have Apple Music lossless, apple express, Toslink in, PW Link, Toslink out, DAC, Schiit Frey……. I used a wyred 4 sound DAC2 - no clicks, Topping E30 ($130) - No clicks. I tried the Schiit Modius to match my system - clicks/noise. The Topping and W4S mute the noise/bad signal between songs. Hope this helps. Topping is a great dac according to the test here at ASR.

Ya never know. Paradigm to Modius in my system is dead quiet

nathan

True. Best to be willing to experiment and buy from places with a good return policy, just in case!

I even used a "Neoteck 192kHz Digital to Analog Audio Converter with IR Remote Control, DAC Converter Digital Coaxial Toslink Optical to Analog Stereo L/R RCA 3.5mm Audio Adapter Support Volume Control/Mute/Power" for a while ($30 at Amazon) because I needed a remote control volume capability, since the Paradigm unit stupidly has no way to control volume except via the flakey PlayFi app. No clicks.

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
Same set up? Toslink in to PW Link from streaming device like Airplay to Toslink out? It is strange as I get the clicks with the Toslink out or analog PW Link out. So, it seams like it is coming from the Link when Apple Music switches songs. Another digital input streamer or player to the Link could be different. My only point (in this set-up), the DAC fixed it if it bothers someone. Just trying to help people WITH the issue.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Same set up? Toslink in to PW Link from streaming device like Airplay to Toslink out? It is strange as I get the clicks with the Toslink out or analog PW Link out. So, it seams like it is coming from the Link when Apple Music switches songs. Another digital input streamer or player to the Link could be different. My only point (in this set-up), the DAC fixed it if it bothers someone. Just trying to help people WITH the issue.

I have two PW Link setups utilizing optical inputs both fine. The one with the Modius utilizes optical output from the TV (HDMI input from my OPPO DVD player).

Peen

I'm having issues with mine going into standby. I moved my PW-Link to a system that uses that RCA inputs, so the PW-Link is all analog. Sometimes it will wake up from standby, other times it will not. It will even go into standby sometimes listening while listening to music! I even tried taping the volume button, but it still goes into standby. I didn't have this issue with optical input. Unfortunately, I can only run analog the way I have this setup.

Anyone have ideas on why this might be or how to trick it to never go into standby?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having issues with mine going into standby. I moved my PW-Link to a system that uses that RCA inputs, so the PW-Link is all analog. Sometimes it will wake up from standby, other times it will not. It will even go into standby sometimes listening while listening to music! I even tried taping the volume button, but it still goes into standby. I didn't have this issue with optical input. Unfortunately, I can only run analog the way I have this setup.

Anyone have ideas on why this might be or how to trick it to never go into standby?
Listening to a streaming service or ?
wifi or LAN ?

Top Bottom