• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Some people like stereo subs. The Harman research shows that controlling room modes works great with multiple subs all playing a mono signal (though with different timing/phase adjustment, and sometimes with slightly different EQ). Trouble is, the Unison doesn't have a summed mono subwoofer output.

When I was running a setup like you describe, I used a MIniDSP on the stereo analog output. The MiniDSP did my bass management (high pass filter for my mains, low pass filter for the subwoofer output) and, if I recall correctly (it has been a few years) gave me dual summed mono outputs for my subwoofers, time aligned with one another, and with the mains. Then, running ARC let the whole system get EQed nicely.

Either in this thread or in the thread about the Paradigm equivalent device there was a nice complete description I used to get me started in that approach. I wish I could attribute it better. Here are my notes copied from a post in the Paradigm thread:
Thanks for your reply/help! But ouch(I was envisioning cheap/simple). My sub does have high level connections, would that help having crossover handled by sub?

nathan

So then I would follow the subwoofer manufacturer's instructions.

If you want to use the crossover and settings in a particular sub, that's great. Each sub will be different:
  • Line level versus speaker level.
  • Low pass only or low pass + high pass enabled.
  • Variable phase or a switch.
  • EQ versus no EQ.
  • And that's just with one sub. Add in a second, and whether the setup has the ability to do a summed mono with the same signal for both, but one can be time aligned with its phase knob, whether you want to use REW to measure and adjust them, and so on, will all be a factor.
TLDR: Do what the sub's manufacturer recommends, unless you want to go down the rabbit hole and improve upon that approach. I take it from your response that you don't want to go down the rabbit hole. That's fine and you should end up with good results without doing so. If you are using two subs, keep it simple then and use two identical subs.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Just noticed this and the Unison seem to be discontinued. Is there a next generation product coming? It was nice to get access to ARC with such a low price tag.

nathan

No, this product niche didn't quite work out for Paradigm/Martin Logan/Anthem.

In my opinion, the biggest flaw was that this was part of the DTS PlayFi streaming ecosystem, which never really took off. It was unstable compared to things like Sonos. It was more expensive than things like Sonos. It had far fewer form factors than things like Sonos. The usability and app were poor compared to Sonos. And perhaps most damning, they never really kept up with the streaming landscape, so many or most new services were never offered on PlayFi (eg, AppleMusic!). And there was no remote control, other than one's phone, which I found to be annoying but simply on par with things like the Sonos.

Those of us using these devices typically put up with all that (and worked around it) by relying mostly on direct physical connections like ANOTHER source providing digital content directly via Toslink, for example. Like I still have one the Martin Logan versions with an Amp in it, and I have a SONOS connect for the music source, connected via Toslink, so I can listen to Apple Music and Google Music/Youtube Music, and sync with other devices, etc.

The good news? They are available used and refurb for less than half what they retailed for when in production. And they are still getting firmware updates on a regular basis. I have given up hope they will add current streaming services, but at least they the PlayFi ecosystem hasn't completely closed down.

The Paradigm versions seem more common on the used market than the Martin Logan ones and the main difference is that the Martin Logan one supports Airplay, and the Paradigm ones do not. But I can tell you that they are not particularly stable with Airplay in my experience.

And yes, the #1 reason any of us bought these things was because of ARC Genesis. And that is, in my opinion, still a valid reason to pick one up on the used market.

While the versions with the built in AMP didn't measure great, it sure is cool they have a subwoofer output and dedicated crossover for the subwoofer, and ARC EQs the sub and the mains. All in a box you can pick up for what, $200? on the used market?

Last edited:

aerochrome2

Forum Donor

In my opinion, the biggest flaw was that this was part of the DTS PlayFi streaming ecosystem, which never really took off. It was unstable compared to things like Sonos. It was more expensive than things like Sonos. It had far fewer form factors than things like Sonos. The usability and app were poor compared to Sonos. And perhaps most damning, they never really kept up with the streaming landscape, so many or most new services were never offered on PlayFi (eg, AppleMusic!). And there was no remote control, other than one's phone, which I found to be annoying but simply on par with things like the Sonos.

Those of us using these devices typically put up with all that (and worked around it) by relying mostly on direct physical connections like ANOTHER source providing digital content directly via Toslink, for example. Like I still have one the Martin Logan versions with an Amp in it, and I have a SONOS connect for the music source, connected via Toslink, so I can listen to Apple Music and Google Music/Youtube Music, and sync with other devices, etc.

The good news? They are available used and refurb for less than half what they retailed for when in production. The Paradigm versions seem more common on the used market than the Martin Logan one's and the main difference is that the Martin Logan one supports Airplay, and the Paradigm ones do not.

And yes, the #1 reason any of us bought these things was because of ARC Genesis. And that is, in my opinion, still a valid reason to pick one up on the used market.
Nice reply, but still a shame. I have a Unison but I'm already on my second unit (Uber warranty) after the first stopped powering on. Hope this one lasts!

nathan

What were the symptoms of your unit's failure? Did it simply stop powering up one day or?
Nice reply, but still a shame. I have a Unison but I'm already on my second unit (Uber warranty) after the first stopped powering on. Hope this one lasts!

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
What were the symptoms of your unit's failure? Did it simply stop powering up one day or?
Yeah, it worked fine when it was on, but if it ever was powered down or needed to restart, getting it to power back on took about 15 minutes of tapping/ holding the power button and hoping for the best. They ended up sending a brand new unit instead of repairing and the new one has been fine.

nathan

Yeah, it worked fine when it was on, but if it ever was powered down or needed to restart, getting it to power back on took about 15 minutes of tapping/ holding the power button and hoping for the best. They ended up sending a brand new unit instead of repairing and the new one has been fine.
When you say "They" do you mean Martin Logan replaced the unit for you under warranty?

hpp8140

The good news? They are available used and refurb for less than half what they retailed for when in production. And they are still getting firmware updates on a regular basis. I have given up hope they will add current streaming services, but at least they the PlayFi ecosystem hasn't completely closed down.

The Paradigm versions seem more common on the used market than the Martin Logan ones and the main difference is that the Martin Logan one supports Airplay, and the Paradigm ones do not. But I can tell you that they are not particularly stable with Airplay in my experience.

While the versions with the built in AMP didn't measure great, it sure is cool they have a subwoofer output and dedicated crossover for the subwoofer, and ARC EQs the sub and the mains. All in a box you can pick up for what, $200? on the used market?

Yeah, I wish they could have improved on it...having ARC in this small form factor was huge for me. I want to pull the trigger on an Anthem receiver, but it is expensive and didn't measure well here either :(, I read about many bugs, and only the top of the line models time align the subwoofer. So I am not sure what there is to gain from the upgrade? Airplay is rather stable for me....just hard wire it. Also, Qobuz is well featured and works really well.

I use the AMP as the heart of a 2.1 channel TV setup, ARC was huge in my room. Agree...I put up with PlayFi and have the knowledge to work around the remote by creating my own solution that works with my TV remote. The volume control on the app is not robust enough to adjust accurately.
  • Flirc (or any IR receiver)
  • SBC (raspberry pi)
  • Trigger happy daemon to translate the IR commands to IP control (not well documented, but the devices support IP control similar to Anthem receivers)

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Has anyone else used Play-Fi recently on this device? I was using optical in for years due to the terrible reviews, but it seems to be functional right now, at least for Tidal and Sirius (haven't tried other sources yet). Am I missing anything or sacrificing performance vs. optical in?

nathan

I think that works great. I’m fact I think PlayFi for Tidal might one of the only ways to get high res audio on it.

I use it as a Spotify receiver, with which it works natively. It does NOT need to stream from a phone or PC.

Top Bottom