• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Caenhorn

Any way I could clean the pot in Atom Amp? It's not just scratchy. Right channel gets muted after adjustment quite often, and I need to wiggle it to get it back :(

Caenhorn

@jseaber Appreciate it! Unfortunately, I'm not from US and sending it back is way too pricey. I wonder if I could do something about it myself, unless exchanging it is the only way.

Aldoszx

My atom psu also broke, I glued it back with epoxy.
It looks like a very brittle plastic.
Same to me !
I am trying to find a better replacement.

3125b

Major Contributor
Mine also broke at the plug (Euro version).
It's easy enough to fix, but a thicker case or one made from another polymer would probably be a good idea.

jseaber

Audio Company
Mine also broke at the plug (Euro version).
It's easy enough to fix, but a thicker case or one made from another polymer would probably be a good idea.
We notified the OEM of this EU/UK construction deficiency in 2020 and it has been resolved as far as internal statistics show. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need a replacement. We have covered replacements for everyone who has inquired.

Aldoszx

We notified the OEM of this EU/UK construction deficiency in 2020 and it has been resolved as far as internal statistics show. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need a replacement. We have covered replacements for everyone who has inquired.
Thanks for your answer !
But what is the procedure for replacement?
Mine was bought from UK reseller but I am living in EU.
It seems also the adapter is out of stock at the moment.

jseaber

Audio Company
@Aldoszx - K&S should have more stock this week. If not, please reach out with your needs at jdslabs.com/support

JStewart

Forum Donor
Have owned this amp for more than 2 years and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Today I noticed the volume knob was loose and crooked. TBH it's likely someone in the household damaged as opposed to manufacturer's defect. Within 2 hrs of sending an email to JDS through their web help section, they had a new knob in the mail.
Awesome customer support to go with a great product!!

Eldus

I measured the output voltage on high gain from the RCA out max volume to be ~9v at 1Khz 0.0dfs. 4v High gain at 3 o'clock on the knob. Low gain is 1.98v Topping D30 is the DAC. 2.08v. If I were to purchase the Topping PA5 and used the Atom in high gain and kept it below 3 o'clock would this be fine?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have owned this amp for more than 2 years and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Today I noticed the volume knob was loose and crooked. TBH it's likely someone in the household damaged as opposed to manufacturer's defect. Within 2 hrs of sending an email to JDS through their web help section, they had a new knob in the mail.
Awesome customer support to go with a great product!!
I've noticed the volume knob on my JDS Labs Atom Amp is also coming loose, it gradually works it's way down the shaft, and I have to keep pushing it back on properly every few weeks. I think it's just come unglued or something. I mean it doesn't really bother me, I suppose it would be better without that happening, but in reality it makes zero difference.

dweekie

I've noticed the volume knob on my JDS Labs Atom Amp is also coming loose, it gradually works it's way down the shaft, and I have to keep pushing it back on properly every few weeks. I think it's just come unglued or something. I mean it doesn't really bother me, I suppose it would be better without that happening, but in reality it makes zero difference.
I replaced mine with a mixer knob (fatty knob - https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders), with similar ones available for next to nothing at music stores. Looks a bit ugly, but functionally it's so much better than any normal volume knob you'd find. I also tried the knurled metal knobs, but something about how easy it is to use the mixer knob made me keep using it instead.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I replaced mine with a mixer knob (fatty knob - https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders), with similar ones available for next to nothing at music stores. Looks a bit ugly, but functionally it's so much better than any normal volume knob you'd find. I also tried the knurled metal knobs, but something about how easy it is to use the mixer knob made me keep using it instead.
Yes, the main ergonomic problem with the JDS volume knob is that it's not quite deep enough to grip properly, which is probably why it eventually worked loose with use - as lateral pressure is exerted when I grip it as my fingers push up against the housing therefore applying small force to push the knob away from the housing.....a longer knob would mean my fingers wouldn't contact the housing and therefore no lateral force would be applied to drive the knob away from the housing, lol, don't worry I've not spent ages thinking about this, it just seems quite obvious to me how it happened, lol! Will they just slot on? Perhaps I could google mixer knobs on Amazon or something. I mean it looks better with the orignal knob, but I might replace it if it starts coming loose every few days instead of every few weeks.

EDIT: would these fit, they're black & would look ok?

EDIT #2: yes, measured the knob on the Atom Amp, same spec, would fit.

EDIT#3: the overall diameter of the knob is less though so you probably wouldn't get the nice subtle ring effect of the white led behind the volume knob - the narrower knob would make the ring effect wider & brighter, which might be off-putting. At least I know what size volume knob to get in the future if I need to replace the existing one....I might try putting somekind of "gunk" (very small amount of blue tack?) on the shaft to get the original knob to fit tighter.

Last edited:

dweekie

Yes, the main ergonomic problem with the JDS volume knob is that it's not quite deep enough to grip properly, which is probably why it eventually worked loose with use - as lateral pressure is exerted when I grip it as my fingers push up against the housing therefore applying small force to push the knob away from the housing.....a longer knob would mean my fingers wouldn't contact the housing and therefore no lateral force would be applied to drive the knob away from the housing, lol, don't worry I've not spent ages thinking about this, it just seems quite obvious to me how it happened, lol! Will they just slot on? Perhaps I could google mixer knobs on Amazon or something. I mean it looks better with the orignal knob, but I might replace it if it starts coming loose every few days instead of every few weeks.

EDIT: would these fit, they're black & would look ok?

EDIT #2: yes, measured the knob on the Atom Amp, same spec, would fit.

EDIT#3: the overall diameter of the knob is less though so you probably wouldn't get the nice subtle ring effect of the white led behind the volume knob - the narrower knob would make the ring effect wider & brighter, which might be off-putting. At least I know what size volume knob to get in the future if I need to replace the existing one....I might try putting somekind of "gunk" (very small amount of blue tack?) on the shaft to get the original knob to fit tighter.
The mixer knob did not cover the ring, but it didn't bother me as everything about the knob, gap, and light were ugly :D
The aluminum knob I purchased off aliexpress, from my recollection, was a perfect drop that worked with the ring light. I just noticed JDS sells an aluminum knob on their website and provides the dimensions (if JDS distribution is limited in UK). https://jdslabs.com/product/black-aluminum-knob-taiss/

Edit: Earlier posts had some knob discussions

Last edited:

Aldoszx

@jseaber Thank you for your support !
My replacement power supply is on the way.
I am more than happy with the interaction with JDS Labs !

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mixer knob did not cover the ring, but it didn't bother me as everything about the knob, gap, and light were ugly :D
The aluminum knob I purchased off aliexpress, from my recollection, was a perfect drop that worked with the ring light. I just noticed JDS sells an aluminum knob on their website and provides the dimensions (if JDS distribution is limited in UK). https://jdslabs.com/product/black-aluminum-knob-taiss/

I just got the mixer knob you recommended yesterday.

I think it looks fine. And definitely easier for me to adjust than that big wide, narrow depth knob. Which had started to come loose.

So thanks for that!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, thanks for that too, prompted by your link to the jds labs shop for that aluminium knob, I managed to find one on Amazon immediately that will of course be delivered within the UK here (whereas JDS Labs shop is in the USA), it looks identical to the Taiss knob:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cor, got my aluminium knob installed, it's a Taiss style knob practically identical to that advertised on the JDS Labs site where they state it as an option for the JDS Labs Atom - I gotta say it's an ergonomic tactile solid joy to use & a visual beauty to behold, you can see my G6 DAC chilling in the background! (volume arrow is in correct authentically correct position too - with allen key tightened screw holding firm against the flat D portion of the shaft).
Aluminium Volume.jpg

Top Bottom