• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Picked one up to compare to Massdrop THX 789 AAA. Hard-pressed to pick between the two; I only have one DAC so A/B testing is hard to do, and blind testing even more so. It is certainly loud: plenty of volume with the knob at just 9 o'clock for Sennheiser 6XX. Not sure if it's enough to convince me to sell the THX, but at 1/4 to 1/3 the price, it's a screaming value.

wadec22

Picked one up to compare to Massdrop THX 789 AAA. Hard-pressed to pick between the two; I only have one DAC so A/B testing is hard to do, and blind testing even more so. It is certainly loud: plenty of volume with the knob at just 9 o'clock for Sennheiser 6XX. Not sure if it's enough to convince me to sell the THX, but at 1/4 to 1/3 the price, it's a screaming value.

I had both and decided the THX was great if u r worried about XLR but my JDS has given me no issues with hums or ground issues.

I kept the JDS and not only appreciate the extra $ but the extra space on my desktop.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
If you want to do A/B testing, just patch the 789 SE PASS to the Atom's inputs.
Ah, good call. I'm doing that now, and... it all sounds great!

I don't have a standalone DAC, so the chain is:
Ubuntu 16.04 FLACs -> generic USB cable ->
O2-ODAC -> generic RCA cables ->
THX 789 -> more generic RCAs -> Atom -> Massdrop Senn 6XX.

Jumping between the headphone output on each one (O2-ODAC, Atom, THX), I can't really tell a difference. Critical listening mostly makes me wish for better source material! I could easily shatter my eardrums with any of these, power-wise.

Last edited:

AresHarvest

Jumping between the headphone output on each one (O2-ODAC, Atom, THX), I can't really tell a difference.

Sounds about right. Even inexpensive stuff these days can be extremely high fidelity, with no audible problems.

I prefer my 789 because the sweet knob and both bal and unbal outputs, but I also keep an O2 on hand because it runs on batteries. And I use an Atom at work because it was cheaper and smaller than the 789. They're all good.

ripvw

Forum Donor
Atom arrived today and after listening to the HD600's on some Tidal Master tracks I immediately sent off to Blue Jeans Cable for some longer RCAs to use the Atom with my speaker setup. Running my Topping DX7S in DAC mode - with the Atom set on low gain the volume between 12 and 1 o'clock - is plenty loud enough depending on the track. Endless drive against a silent black background is what I'm hearing - and with the Atom's low output impedance I can now listen to my Etymotic ER3SE at home again. Seems like more mojo than the DX7S even with the latter in "balanced" mode but of course there is no way to do a quick A/B between the two. We'll see how it all works after the cables and the Khadas Tone Board arrive but I think I'm not going to be missing anything about the DX7S except the remote and balanced outputs.

Alison Krauss is sounding mighty fine...

ngs428

Atom arrived today and after listening to the HD600's on some Tidal Master tracks I immediately sent off to Blue Jeans Cable for some longer RCAs to use the Atom with my speaker setup. Running my Topping DX7S in DAC mode - with the Atom set on low gain the volume between 12 and 1 o'clock - is plenty loud enough depending on the track. Endless drive against a silent black background is what I'm hearing - and with the Atom's low output impedance I can now listen to my Etymotic ER3SE at home again. Seems like more mojo than the DX7S even with the latter in "balanced" mode but of course there is no way to do a quick A/B between the two. We'll see how it all works after the cables and the Khadas Tone Board arrive but I think I'm not going to be missing anything about the DX7S except the remote and balanced outputs.

Nice! Waiting on my tone board too to pair with my Atom.

Gomjab

Hmm, not sure if it's a fluke, but just now my Atom stayed active (no relay click, LED still lit) after switching it off. I then twisted the knob past the detent and then back off, then the unit turned off as normal.

I'm not worried about it, but it was a bit strange. Anyone encounter the same thing?

I witnessed the same on mine. I ended up unplugging and reapplying power and that cleared it.

Some observations I have on my Atom that I received this week.

I also own the Massdrop THX 789 and the Atom won’t be displacing it. I appreciate the better build quality and especially the feel of the volume knob on the 789. I think it was worth the extra money. The Atom sounds just as good as the 789 to me on HD800s phones. They really did a great job for a $99 amp. My volume knob is quite wobbly and not centered.

The Schiit Magni has a much nicer case and volume knob for $99 but I’ll take the Atom’s performance over appearance.

I would love to see a more premium model from JDS based on the same design with a metal case and better feeling volume knob.

For now the THX 789 stays at home and the Atom will live at work. I won’t lose out on sound quality and if it walks away I’m only out $99.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

I witnessed the same on mine. I ended up unplugging and reapplying power and that cleared it.

Some observations I have on my Atom that I received this week.

I also own the Massdrop THX 789 and the Atom won’t be displacing it. I appreciate the better build quality and especially the feel of the volume knob on the 789. I think it was worth the extra money. The Atom sounds just as good as the 789 to me on HD800s phones. They really did a great job for a $99 amp. My volume knob is quite wobbly and not centered.

The Schiit Magni has a much nicer case and volume knob for $99 but I’ll take the Atom’s performance over appearance.

I would love to see a more premium model from JDS based on the same design with a metal case and better feeling volume knob.

For now the THX 789 stays at home and the Atom will live at work. I won’t lose out on sound quality and if it walks away I’m only out $99.
You'll lose your sanity if it walks away...o_O

Veri

Master Contributor
Too late. I lost my sanity long ago. o_O

The Atom replaced a Schiit Jotunheim that Amir kindly tested recently. I am tempted to mount the Atom and a Khadas tone board inside the Jot case and send it back to Amir to test again on April 1st! :p
That would cause the Schiit boys to produce a world record level of salt :p

ngs428

What is your favorite Alison Krauss album to listen to?

AresHarvest

Same. Or a MD/THX "789 Jr." - strip the 789 down to just SE input, SE output (preamp), SE output (headphone), same or similar knob, 2 gain settings, smaller enclosure, smaller price.

Surely the Atom could be modded with a better volume knob? Any caveats in this plan?

The issue is the pot is recessed. Most of the knobs I tried had set screws such that they wouldn't make decent purchase on the d-shaft.

Last edited:

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Schiit Magni has a much nicer case and volume knob

I own a Magni. The volume knob looks nice, but the pot is scratchy and has pretty bad channel imbalance below 9 o'clock. The knob is also kind of small which makes it a bit fiddly. The knob on my Atom looks Less premium but works better in practice. I do wish it had a separate power switch though.

ishmeister

Just pulled the trigger and bought one. Horrible shipping cost to the UK. Has anyone else bought from the UK? How long did it take?

Top Bottom