• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thank you very much for the reply.
I have a Grace Design m902 in my main system.
I have now ordered an optical cable to test it with my computer to see if I need an amplifier and dac for my headphone and this computer (I have a Beyerdynamic DT 250 250 Ohm).
It is an older amplifier/dac and it was pretty early to come out with usb support. But it performs badly with it. So I am also a little worried because with the March audio I can only connect it with the usb port to the computer
Just so I know how serious are you with this? With that I mean, if I buy it is there a possibility that the warranty would be worthless if you decided to stop inside of three years?
Maybe this isn't the right thread but what is the timeframe for your headphone amplifier and what is your target for pricerange?
Sorry for these questions.
You are right, we shouldn't clutter this thread. Shall we continue in my headphone amp thread?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/march-audio-hpa1.4430/post-142687

mahirzukic2

I just got the JDS Atom from the mailman a few minutes ago, actually my brother received it after the mailman gave me a call as he couldn't find the address, must be a new guy. It had only passed a month and a week until the package delivery. Not too shabby (*end sarcasm).
Either way I am so excited I can't wait to get home to check it out. I am also sad that I won't be able to listen to it, since I will be waiting for the Khadas Tone Board to arrive as well.
Now to ask you a question, does quality of coaxial cable matter in terms of audio signal? I guess not, since it's a digital signal transmission anyway, just wanted to make sure.
I plan to run this from PC via coaxial out to Khadas Tone Board, and via RCA to JDS Atom and headphone out to headphones.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I just got the JDS Atom from the mailman a few minutes ago, actually my brother received it after the mailman gave me a call as he couldn't find the address, must be a new guy. It had only passed a month and a week until the package delivery. Not too shabby (*end sarcasm).
Either way I am so excited I can't wait to get home to check it out. I am also sad that I won't be able to listen to it, since I will be waiting for the Khadas Tone Board to arrive as well.
Now to ask you a question, does quality of coaxial cable matter in terms of audio signal? I guess not, since it's a digital signal transmission anyway, just wanted to make sure.
I plan to run this from PC via coaxial out to Khadas Tone Board, and via RCA to JDS Atom and headphone out to headphones.

For the RCA coaxial @ 75 ohms pay attention to the plugs above all for the reason that these might mess up the impedence ... Canare is the top brand for these plugs.

For the Toslink cable pay attention not to run it alongside a power cord ...

Enjoy your new setup !!!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JDS Atom really is one of those products that ticks all the boxes and begs the question of why would you pay more? Personally I would prefer a nicer metal case but that's just a personal preference that doesn't affect performance.

Veri

Master Contributor
The JDS Atom really is one of those products that ticks all the boxes and begs the question of why would you pay more? Personally I would prefer a nicer metal case but that's just a personal preference that doesn't affect performance.
Indeed! Only thing some people don't like is the plastic non-premium casing. I like the blue light around the volume knob though :)

Of course, only thing the THX brings to the table besides power is the balanced in- and outputs. Maybe JDS comes with a super-Atom that will offer that eventually. Someone should ask them :)

Also, JDS already said they are working on new DACs to pair with their Atom tech. A DAC+Amp revamp like the Element will surely come too.. :D

mahirzukic2

For the RCA coaxial @ 75 ohms pay attention to the plugs above all for the reason that these might mess up the impedence ... Canare is the top brand for these plugs.

For the Toslink cable pay attention not to run it alongside a power cord ...

Enjoy your new setup !!!
What's the catch with optical cable alongside a power cord?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the high gain mode works with the preamp out rca jacks?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the high gain mode works with the preamp out rca jacks
they do but come out quite distorted. best to preamp low gain and use amplifier.

confucius_zero

confucius_zero

I am disappointed
JDS claims lowgain at the pre-out delivers original signal from source. If you wish to amplify such, use an amp module.

2019-01-25 17_27_28-Re_ General Question - confucius.zero@gmail.com - Gmail.png

Roen

Balanced power.

The product you should be asking this on is the THX AAA 789.

Tatteredmidnight

JDS claims lowgain at the pre-out delivers original signal from source. If you wish to amplify such, use an amp module.

View attachment 20816
Wait, what? This is literally the opposite of what that email says. The Atom always acts as an active pre-amp (provided it has power and is turned on). If you want a true passthrough, JDS recommends the el amp or element. I can confirm that this is the behavior of my unit.

confucius_zero

Wait, what? This is literally the opposite of what that email says. The Atom always acts as an active pre-amp (provided it has power and is turned on). If you want a true passthrough, JDS recommends the el amp or element. I can confirm that this is the behavior of my unit.

Virtually identical is similar enough for me. I run quality well shielded and well measured RCA cables on my system and the sound is same with or without the atom (fully clockwise) between my DAC and Speaker amp.

Tatteredmidnight

Virtually identical is similar enough for me. I run quality RCA cables on my system and the sound is same with or without the atom between my DAC and Speaker amp.
Ah ok, yeah, no arguments here. Fantastic unit, just wanted to be clear that all output goes through the amplification stage regardless of gain. The amp is so clean it becomes an academic issue IMO.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 20816
I was looking for a cheap & quiet preamp capable of raising the 2V output of the typical DAC to 2.5 or 3V so it could drive some of the lower priced Hypex amplifiers to full power.

Top Bottom