• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Hello! Today I received Atom. I use it with DT990pro 250 ohm
But I have lack of volume! It sounds very loud, but I am able to put the volume to the maximum at high gain, without causing me annoyance, it is simply heard loudly, but not very very loud.
Could it be because of the DAC?
I have tried 2 options.

1 Atom connected to the headphone output of my PC. Jack to RCA. Motherboard MSI Gaming plus 370Z ... The sound is too loose, I do not get much power ..

2 Atom connected to the output of my external sound card, RCA to RCA. Sound blaster omni surround ... With this option I have a lot more volume, but I think not enough. my head does not explode! There is even distortion. sometimes at maximum power distorts the bass. pugg puggg puggg

What can happen? none of the 2 DACs have enough voltage to make Atom work well?

rms output voltage of my soung blaster is 1.75 Vrms.

What worries me most is the distortion of the bass, sub bass, on tracks with many sub bass and high volume.
This means lack of power? or does it mean that the headset does not accept more power and starts sounding bad?

Last edited:
It sounds like a noisy pot.
Coming from a schiit fulla 2 , I know what noisy pot soundlike and Yes it really seems to be the case ! Haha. Schiit .... ...
If it has noisy pot, I should hear noise while adjusting the knob even if there is no music playing, also the noise completely disappear when I stop adjusting the knob .
Is there a option to fix it ?

Veri

Major Contributor
If it has noisy pot, I should hear noise while adjusting the knob even if there is no music playing
I'm not sure, I used to own an Emotiva A-100 which had monstrous strength and was quite noisy. It only had the noise pot problem when there was in fact a source connected. I think it might have to do with voltage fluctuation too. like JDS answered, something something DC offset. Idk how/what exactly though sorry, but if others don't have the same problem it's likely a defect of course.

If it has noisy pot, I should hear noise while adjusting the knob even if there is no music playing, also the noise completely disappear when I stop adjusting the knob .
Is there a option to fix it ?

Well the fulla was making crazy noise only when i was moving the pot also .. totaly silent if not moved ... but mine screaming even if no music playing

@NemoReborn I read on the internet that if you move the knob for couple of minutes it can fix a noisy pot temporary, so I tried it and it got a better but after couple of hours it return to make noise, maybe it really noisy pot. Also topping reply to my email and said that the DC offset is less then 4mV , like I thought as this issue happen with different DACs and even without one connected .

@NemoReborn I read on the internet that if you move the knob for couple of minutes it can fix a noisy pot temporary, so I tried it and it got a better but after couple of hours it return to make noise, maybe it really noisy pot. Also topping reply to my email and said that the DC offset is less then 4mV , like I thought as this issue happen with different DACs and even without one connected .
Agree. I had to spin it a few time and the noise would desapear... but not a concern anymore cause that peice of schiit is in the garbage now ...

I live in EU and I think about getting the Atom. With shipping cost price rises up to $137 and from that price I would have to pay additional 23% for custom fees (total price = 168.5 US$).
If I decide to remove the "free" power adapter from the cart, shipping cost goes down and makes the total = $151.29.

How important is their power adapter when it comes to the audio quality? I own few cheaper brands with similar parameters and they would save me some money... however I don't want to sacrifice amp performance just to save a few bucks.

I live in EU and I think about getting the Atom. With shipping cost price rises up to $137 and from that price I would have to pay additional 23% for custom fees (total price = 168.5 US$).
If I decide to remove the "free" power adapter from the cart, shipping cost goes down and makes the total = $151.29.

How important is their power adapter when it comes to the audio quality? I own few cheaper brands with similar parameters and they would save me some money... however I don't want to sacrifice amp performance just to save a few bucks.

Idk but I can tell this power supply is big bd heavy ! Really feel like good quality

I've also got an official answer from the JDS If they're going to distribute their Atom supply to more than the current two retailers in EU and unfortunately the answer is "No".

nyquist

I machined the brass knob as I didn't like the size and feel of the plastic one.
Made the stand today, just laser cut some acrylic and re-used some spikes I had from an old hifi rack.

I'm feeling the need to change the face plate on the SDAC now :)

maxxevv

I machined the brass knob as I didn't like the size and feel of the plastic one.
Made the stand today, just laser cut some acrylic and re-used some spikes I had from an old hifi rack.

Nice work there!

Would it be possible for you to put a ruler to the Atom's case and help me with the overall case: Length x Breadth dimensions ? Just the main box, excluding any pieces that jut out ? (No need for height though).

Thanks in advance! :)

Craft one knob for me ! Ill buy it. Gimme your price

Top Bottom