• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

maverik_77

Yup, just disabled firewall on both private and public networks. Same problem.

A few things if you have not tried.

Try after a fresh install of Dirac, restart the PC and SHD.
Try changing the USB cable.
Hopefully you have checked your virus scanner too as some cause issues.
Never change volume using remote after connected through USB.. Always use through software when connected.

starless

Another issue can be with the length of the USB cable from SHD to computer. My measurement position is about 5 metres away from the SHD which is too far for the UMIK cable so I tried using a 5 metre USB cable from SHD to laptop. Connection as unreliable and even when it connected Dirac couldn't find SHD. I then tried using a USB extension cable to lengthen the UMIK to laptop distance with a short cable connecting laptop to SHD and this works fine. I noticed (on the miniDSP forum) that somebody else had reported issues with using a long USB cable from computer to SHD.

maverik_77

I use a 3m usb 3.0 extension when connected to SHD and works fine. Maybe quality of cable is a factor. Just for anyone wondering, it is a amazonbasics extension cable.

misteracng

Question about the minidsp SHD.

If you run 2 subs, any thought on whether to use different outputs to each sub, with each output getting one of the channels? Or this doesn't matter and just mix both channels into both outputs to both subs. Lets assume the crossover is low at 80hz?

Thanks

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you run 2 subs, any thought on whether to use different outputs to each sub, with each output getting one of the channels? Or this doesn't matter and just mix both channels into both outputs to both subs. Lets assume the crossover is low at 80hz?
If you are running the subs mono, want the same EQ on both, and they are equidistant from the listening position; you could use one output on a Y splitter to each sub (less than likely scenario). Otherwise you would use two outputs, one to each sub and tune appropriately (likely the best use case).

maverik_77

f you run 2 subs, any thought on whether to use different outputs to each sub, with each output getting one of the channels? Or this doesn't matter and just mix both channels into both output

Ideally if you have 2 subs of the same and have left sub near left speaker and right near right speaker better to keep it split as Left and Right. Even in this config if you have different spec/brand subs better to mix them.

If the sub is at corners diagonally and one of it is away from the speakers mixing them is better.

I run mixed as i have different brand subs placed diagonally.

If you have dual subs, make sure you first use REW to tune your subs before running it together with speakers and DIRAC.

misteracng

Thanks for the info.

So if running 1 sub, placed in the front, between the L&R speakers, I would mix both channels and send mono to the sub. Is there a need to run REW before dirac in this case? Or if I run 2 of the same subs, placed next to the L&R channels, would I need to run REW first?

maverik_77

Bass is one of the areas where you can improve a lot with sub tuning and placement to give best impact. Mostly just throwing power does not help as sometimes subs just cancel each other, mainly when both are in the same settings and not far.

So absolutely it is needed to get most out. Have a quick read through https://www.minidsp.com/support/community-powered-tutorials/201-dual-sub-integration
This is one of the best videos i have come across.

He has more subs, but you can stop with 2.

misteracng

If your using the Dirac setup, it has a section to set levels for the speakers. How would you do this with a sub. It plays the test tone for the two channels, but the sub would play as well. Would you have to selectively mute the main speaker outputs and then run dirac?

maverik_77

If you have sub and speakers i assume you are using full blown SHD. So you have 4 outputs.

The 1&2 are sent to the Subs, then 3&4 would be sent to speakers or vice versa.

If you read minidsp SHD manual it has a section where it shows how to set frequency for each set of outputs where you can select your switch over frequency may be 80Hz. Once this is set, minidsp SHD will switch over from sub to speakers when it hits 80KHZ. You can select either 12db or 24db octave.

When running DIRAC you should not mute anything. There are 2 layers here. DIRAC does not know that you are using subs and speakers. It only sees it as a single entity. The SUB / Speaker split happens within the SHD layer. Hope it makes sense.

What i did was that i ran REW with minidsp to tune subs, then Audsey from Marantz and set the subwoofer volumes for the liking of HT. Once that was done adjusted the volume for music in DIRAC. This way you dont fiddle with volume when watching movies.

rvsixer

I see this quickly morphed from how to hookup two subs to an SHD, to subs and placement discussion :).

For two subs, what has always worked best for me after hours and hours of measurements and experimentation in two different rooms, was inevitably both crossed over mono (using actual room measurements to locate best positions for each relative to listening position). All those hard and fast "rules" for sub placement were always sub-optimal, some outrageously so. Real rooms and sofas just don't match theoretical ones.

My next setup I will be running four (all four subs play summed mono below ~80Hz with a steeper filter, front subs placed near mains and in addition to low mono are fed stereo above 80Hz to about 125-200Hz with shallow crossover to mitigate mains SBIR wall/floor bounce issues in the room transition zone, the other two mono subs again placed where they do the most good to mitigate room modes/issues at the listening position via actual REW measurements).

Azookey

Hopefully you figure out the root cause of this for the rest of this.

So just an update. I was able to get my Windows laptop to connect to the SHD, but not my macbook.

On the windows machine I found that a program I had installed had sideloaded LabView from National Instruments. That software was running an application web server on port 8080. I have no idea why!!?? but alas.

The original software I had installed was a DSP GUI from Parts Express to control one of their subwoofer plate amplifiers. I had installed it on both my laptop and desktop at some point or another. When i uninstalled it, i was able to connect to the SHD just fine.

Unfortunately that software is not even available on Mac, so i never installed it on the macbook. So i still dont know what the problem is there, but at least I can use my windows machine for now.

carlob

Forum Donor
On the windows machine I found that a program I had installed had sideloaded LabView from National Instruments. That software was running an application web server on port 8080. I have no idea why!!?? but alas.

In my (long) experience every time an issue like your happens the problem is in the user computer(s) or network. Try to create a new user for the Mac and run Dirac from there.

mikeburns

Hi there everyone, this is a very interesting piece of equipment! I am pretty close to purchasing one but have a few questions for the experts.
Firstly the dac does not measure much better than my own current smsl su8 v2. Are there functionalities in the shd that the su-8 is not able to do or vice versa? I cannot figure out if the mini dsp will be able to play/convert dsd files specifically?

Secondly can the shd replace my preamp if I am really only streaming via a RPi4 (using moode) or across a chromecast connected via spdif? Or is there something I am missing here? My current preamp is a Quad 99, but I am moving out of vinyl and getting rid of my turntable etc and focusing mainly on digital streaming as my source.

Lastly there seems to be a few people having issues with the internal computer running volumio. Would it be fine to continue using my RPi4 using moode - connected to the usb input of the shd (shd acting as dac)? Ignoring the internal mini computer running volumio?

I realise these are straightforward questions, just thought I would ask any current owners or experienced users for their thoughts. I am really keen for the dsp functionality but don't want to downgrade the sound quality of anything else in my system.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. It seems like a perfect solution for me to reduce my box count and gain some much need room correction!

Bachemar

Forum Donor
Hi there everyone, this is a very interesting piece of equipment! I am pretty close to purchasing one but have a few questions for the experts.
Firstly the dac does not measure much better than my own current smsl su8 v2. Are there functionalities in the shd that the su-8 is not able to do or vice versa? I cannot figure out if the mini dsp will be able to play/convert dsd files specifically?

Secondly can the shd replace my preamp if I am really only streaming via a RPi4 (using moode) or across a chromecast connected via spdif? Or is there something I am missing here? My current preamp is a Quad 99, but I am moving out of vinyl and getting rid of my turntable etc and focusing mainly on digital streaming as my source.

Lastly there seems to be a few people having issues with the internal computer running volumio. Would it be fine to continue using my RPi4 using moode - connected to the usb input of the shd (shd acting as dac)? Ignoring the internal mini computer running volumio?

I realise these are straightforward questions, just thought I would ask any current owners or experienced users for their thoughts. I am really keen for the dsp functionality but don't want to downgrade the sound quality of anything else in my system.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. It seems like a perfect solution for me to reduce my box count and gain some much need room correction!

The main reason to look at the SHD is the built in Dirac room correction, and Bass management capabilities. Roon Ready endpoint is also a nice feature. There are very few other products in this space, with NAD being the main alternative.

I currently use the SHD as a preamp, Dac and streamer. I have the turntable/phono preamp connected to the RCA inputs of the SHD, and the SHD directly connected to my power amp - using volume control on the SHD. The analog input “will” go through an ADA conversion - which is fine, since I want Dirac and Bass management.

I use Roon to stream directly to the SHD. Works brilliantly. Never used Volumio.

Note that Dirac is super easy to set up and use, however the Bass management settings interface has a steep learning curve. It is extremely powerful and flexible, and support upto 2 subs. but will require spending some time to learn how to do it.

Azookey

My previous preamp was/is a Parasound P5. I've replaced it with the SHD and it's been great so far. I gave up on vinyl a while back, so everything I do is streaming or network storage. Since I'm all digital, getting a digital pre-amp with all the great DSP controls and Dirac just made sense.

I also previously streamed from a Bluesound Node 2i. I've kept it around just in case I didn't like using Volumio or the streaming capabilities built into the SHD, but I've had no problem with them. The Bluesound is currently unused.

I would say, the SHD is more for the tweakers, like me ;). I always have a laptop on hand to hook up and play around with the DSP or measure using REW, etc. IMO, If you don't happen have a computer you can easily hook up in the same room, it may be a bit cumbersome to get set up at first. And then depending on how much you want to keep fiddling as well.

rvsixer

mikeburns

Awesome thanks for the advice! I reckon this is the way to go. I will get the SHD and integrate it and see how I go. If I can remove my Quad preamp, DAC, turntable and phono stage without losing anything as far as sound quality goes that will be great. I cannot wait to get started with the DSP aspects as I think this is where the next real step up in sound quality seems to come from. I reckon an SHD and a purifi amp (March Audio most likely) is pretty much the killer combo.

Top Bottom