• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The switching frequency of even older amps was around 100 kHz IIRC, and modern ones are reaching to ~500 kHz, so the frequencies of concern are way up there...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To add some data to the conversation, I just ran a couple of test with and without my AUX-0040 filter that I use with class-d amps. First, the dashboard view which is limited to 22.4 kHz:

View attachment 26447

This is the stellar performance of Audio Precision APx555 generating an analog tone and measuring it.
Wow! I begin to understand why AP charges so much money ...

audioBliss

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the measurement of the Nord NC500 amp with AND without the filter so we can see if distortion components leak down into the audible band for some reason. I have a feeling that the Nord could be a nice cheaper alternative to the ultimate Benchmark AHB2. Probably not as good but maybe good enough :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm very much looking forward to seeing the measurement of the Nord NC500 amp with AND without the filter so we can see if distortion components leak down into the audible band for some reason. I have a feeling that the Nord could be a nice cheaper alternative to the ultimate Benchmark AHB2. Probably not as good but maybe good enough :)
It is the amp under the Benchmark AHB2 in my review of that product. ;) :)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is the amp under the Benchmark AHB2 in my review of that product.
Not much of a clue in your photo...:cool:
Pictures of the top of the Nord Hypex amps are rare - but the vent slots do give it away once you are aware of them.

Nord 500 Amplifier.jpg

audioBliss

So after all the discussions about SMP600 temps, output etc. Is the nc400 mono-kit from Hypex still a good buy? I currently own an Emotiva Gen 2 XPA-2 But I'm thinking about building three nc400 amps for my LCR speakers. Just can't decide if it's a good deal or not...After seeing the Nord NC500 review I'm a bit put off..but damn I wish the nc400 kit had trigger inputs. Hmm

Samoyed

What review? What put you off? My one up, revision D, with Sparkos, is magnificent.

audioBliss

What review? What put you off? My one up, revision D, with Sparkos, is magnificent.

The one on this site :) Wrong polarity on cables, different noise floor between channels, clear improvements can be done to internal layout. Don't get me wrong it still looks pretty good but the DIY kit looks way better.

Your version of the amp was not tested. It would be really interesting to see a measurement of that but that still doesn't take away from poor QA before shipping. When buying blind and overseas everything better check out. That's important to me.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Buy the NC400s and just leave them running. About 8 watt idle each.

audioBliss

I could do that except that I don’t leave my receiver on and I don’t want to turn on the preamp after the power amps. Or maybe that is ok?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I could do that except that I don’t leave my receiver on and I don’t want to turn on the preamp after the power amps. Or maybe that is ok?
You may be able to find a trigger kit that will work with the Hypex power supply standby control, or just switch the mains power directly. If I'm reading the datasheet right you need to apply 3.3V to 12V to the pin to enable standby, which is the other way round to most triggers. Alternatively you can get external triggered power switches like this.

audioBliss

You may be able to find a trigger kit that will work with the Hypex power supply standby control, or just switch the mains power directly. If I'm reading the datasheet right you need to apply 3.3V to 12V to the pin to enable standby, which is the other way round to most triggers. Alternatively you can get external triggered power switches like this.

Thanks for the tip. I might end up trying that out. I actually pulled the trigger on 3 x nc400 mono kits for my three front speakers. I just can't get away from that these measure so incredibly well. From what I read in the hypex manual it seems that you only need 2V to drive these to clipping so my unbalanced preamp should do fine I hope.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just noticed a Hypex Ncore amp at Audiophonics that I hadn't seen before. It has no electronic modifications (buffers, etc.) and appears to simply be a "case with two NC250P modules", and a nice dual-mono layout with both Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, plus heat sinks (which may not actually be necessary). Rated at 65wpc@8Ω and125wpc@4Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%. (A more powerful NC500P version is also available - 135wpc@8Ω and 250wpc@4Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%.)

The 65wpc Audiophonics amp is available for US$650 - about $100 less than a similar Apollon Hypex amplifier that has only XLR inputs.

And I appreciate that they say "assembled" and not "manufactured" in France.

Audiophonics PA-S250NC-1.jpg

Audiophonics PA-S250NC-2.jpg

Audiophonics PA-S250NC-3.jpg

JustIntonation

Just noticed a Hypex Ncore amp at Audiophonics that I hadn't seen before. It has no electronic modifications (buffers, etc.) and appears to simply be a "case with two NC250P modules", and a nice dual-mono layout with both Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, plus heat sinks (which may not actually be necessary). Rated at 65wpc@8Ω and125wpc@4Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%. (A more powerful NC500P version is also available - 135wpc@8Ω and 250wpc@4Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%.)

The 65wpc Audiophonics amp is available for US$650 - about $100 less than a similar Apollon Hypex amplifier that has only XLR inputs.

And I appreciate that they say "assembled" and not "manufactured" in France.

View attachment 27197
View attachment 27198
View attachment 27199
Nice!
Here one with a single NC122MP board:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ower-amplifier-ncore-2x75w-8-ohm-p-12756.html
I'll be recomending it to friends. Nothing comes close for this quality at such a low price.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

audioBliss

Imo the nc400 monokit is where it's at. It HAS a very good power/value/SQ rating. Sure it's not cheap but relative to other amps it really great value for money.

Top Bottom