• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am in the process of trying to design one with an engineer - will see how far I get…
Bet he doesn't like being crammed into that little box... :)

Your engineer (and perhaps you) will already know this, but this article includes a bit about segmentation and how it helps (and hurts):

Last edited:

asrUser

I don't get the benefits of R2R DACs like this one. Would I fall off my chair if I used this DAC instead of a Topping DAC?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't get the benefits of R2R DACs like this one. Would I fall off my chair if I used this DAC instead of a Topping DAC?

Maybe if you drank too much, after expecting it to sound any better.

People buy stories.

Dgob

I owned both (including the Serene) and sold the Holo Audio to return to my Topping D90Se/Pre90/Ext90 setup. The detail retrieval of the latter is far greater. However, it probably comes down to taste - as one Holo Audio champion favours them over Topping alternatives as the latter are seen to present too much detail for his taste.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The detail retrieval of the latter is far greater. However, it probably comes down to taste - as one Holo Audio champion favours them over Topping alternatives as the latter are seem to present too much detail for his taste.

I'd love to see anyone tell them apart in a controlled test.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Aaagh, that old chestnut. :)

The quest for evidence to back up the endless claims never ends. It would if someone could back them up, but no one ever has.

The idea around this place is to help people see beyond the stories. Buying stories can get expensive.

Dgob

The quest for evidence to back up the endless claims never ends. It would if someone could back them up, but no one ever has.

The idea around this place is to help people see beyond the stories. Buying stories can get expensive.
True, and unarguable. The test results for the noted groups of equipment would seem to confirm this. :)

firedog

They have a new model for about $1200 - the Cyan2. It essentially does the same thing for less. DNR -127
It has more standard parts and PS, not "audiophile" parts.

Top Bottom