• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

Wino

I am trying to choose a preamp to sit between the Holo May KTE and Dual Benchmark AHB2's. I would prefer to use the Topping Pre90. Has anyone used this with the May? I am also considering the Serene (long wait and expensive) and the Benchmark LA4 (expensive). Are there impedance issues running balanced between Holo May and Pre90?

Thank you

sq225917

Major Contributor
Topping works fine between smsl400 and benchmark power amp. (Circa 600 ohms output impedance, smsl400)

Wino

Topping works fine between smsl400 and benchmark power amp. (Circa 600 ohms output impedance, smsl400)

Thanks. I ended up pulling the trigger on the LA4. Figured it would pair will with the AHB2's.

Dgob

I am trying to choose a preamp to sit between the Holo May KTE and Dual Benchmark AHB2's. I would prefer to use the Topping Pre90. Has anyone used this with the May? I am also considering the Serene (long wait and expensive) and the Benchmark LA4 (expensive). Are there impedance issues running balanced between Holo May and Pre90?

Thank you
I was going to suggest the Holo Audio Serene, as that makes a wonderful combination with the May (or, in my case, the Spring 3 KTE). I was very pleasantly surprised when I swapped out my Pre90 for the Serene.

Last edited:

Wino

I might have gone with the Serene if the wait wasn't so long. Benchmark shipped the LA4 this morning. Would have been 5-6 weeks for the Serene. Regardless, I think the LA4 will match well with the AHB2's.

Dgob

I might have gone with the Serene if the wait wasn't so long. Benchmark shipped the LA4 this morning. Would have been 5-6 weeks for the Serene. Regardless, I think the LA4 will match well with the AHB2's.
I totally understand. Fortunately, Magna Hifi get it to you within 2 weeka here in the UK. At least they did in my case, and so that was not really an issue for me.

Happy listening.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@WolfX-700

Did you run the SINAD test with the 555 output running at 44.1kHz and not 192kHz?

Also what is the analyzer output rate for the 90kHz bandwidth test? Should be set to 48kHz as Amir does.
SINAD dashboard is at 192. Don't know about the 90hz test

zhgutov

OK, wow, those are spectacular. What are we looking at and what do you learn from it? <need popcorn :p>

This is just clipping in the test signal.
Even not the overshooting as a result of interpolation/filtering.
You can see three sequential samples for 44.1 kHz which means clipping.

44kHz-clipping.png

44kHz.png

96kHz.png

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

zhgutov

Yes, but the question is why do these test signals generate this clipping and would that ever happen IRL?
This clipping is inside the test signal itself. My screenshots are made from the source files.
If the test chain is accurate enough it will show the similar result, and this is expected.

Eagle3333

Folks, I apologise, I'm not awfully tech savvie and hope you can help with following.
My Mirus Resonessence Pro DAC output stage has died. The makers are no more. In the absence of a repair I'm looking at the May as a replacement on the basis of pricepoint and (circumspect) reading of reviews/commentaries.
Can you answer following question: Will the May's 5.8v output and its output impedence be safe and satisfactory to use with my Gryphon Essence pre amp - input impedence on XLR 50kΩ? Gryphon dacs have output around 4.3v and 30ohm output impedence. With the Mirus, my best sound came with output at approx 2v. At 4v sound became a bit harder edged - so I'm worried how 5.7v will sound. Thanks.

Last edited:

Extreme_Boky

I am sure that any competent electronics technician/engineer would be able to get (any) DAC analog output stage going again.

May's analog stage is a bit hot, especially on XLRs. I use HQPlayer volume control with my amplifier.. so it is not really an issue. However, May's low output impedance (working in a class A mode, burning 60W of power at all times) will easily match any pre-amp input impedance... even a really low one of around 10kOhms. Your pre-amp input impedance is 50Kohms balanced, so not a problem.

You could also reduce the pre-amp gain. Contact Gryphon and see what they have to say. It can't be that hard... If this is a no-go, then just use a volume control inside your player/streamer.

Eagle3333

Thanks very much for that. The pre has 18db of gain but I'm ashamedly clueless about quite what this means and whether it's adjustable. But it sounds like it would be an ok, technical match, regardless.
I've put some feelers out but it's very hard to know the true competency of the few repairers I've found. If anyone here in the UK has any recommends for skilled tech's I'd be grateful to know about them. Thanks again.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I am sure that any competent electronics technician/engineer would be able to get (any) DAC analog output stage going again.

+1

@Eagle3333 What does "output stage has died" mean in this case? Complete silence on all outputs? Or just one? Noise? Intermittent error or constant?

Judging from the few pictures I can find, the actual DAC + output stage is a realtively simpel design with some relays at the very end. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if one or more of those relays have crapped out.

Eagle3333

+1

@Eagle3333 What does "output stage has died" mean in this case? Complete silence on all outputs? Or just one? Noise? Intermittent error or constant?

Judging from the few pictures I can find, the actual DAC + output stage is a realtively simpel design with some relays at the very end. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if one or more of those relays have crapped out.
Thanks a lot for the effort. There's zero sound on both XLR and RCA outputs. The DAC sees the signal, recognises the resolution and plays - there's just no output. it's a constant.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Then my guess would be that it's not actually the output stage that has failed. More likely some control logic has failed and is muting the outputs.

Hard to tell without poking around a bit inside. Either way, can't possibly cost more to fix than the price tag on a new Holo May :D

Eagle3333

Then my guess would be that it's not actually the output stage that has failed. More likely some control logic has failed and is muting the outputs.

Hard to tell without poking around a bit inside. Either way, can't possibly cost more to fix than the price tag on a new Holo May :D
This chimes in as much as there was no noticeable 'event' preceding the failure. I just turned it on after turning it off the evening prior and nothing came out. Your suggestion motivated me to re-install its firmware - I happen to have it saved - but still no sound.

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's just a simple iv stage into the output, textbook ess stuff, as they were ess staff. Any good tech can fix it.

Top Bottom