• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of EVGA NU Audio PC Card

bennetng

Major Contributor
How does this kind of sound card compare to the professional internal pcie sound card like RME HDSPe AIO?
The most relevant differences to audiophiles are pro audio cards support balanced I/O and they may support adjustable full scale voltage. For example Lynx E22
https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/e22/
LEVEL: +20dBu full-scale or variable +8.23dBu to +24dBu full-scale; jumper selectable

Also, not all pro audio soundcards have headphone output.

Other things are pro audio cards usually have dedicated hardware DSP/FPGA mixer to allow low latency multicilent operation. There are also other stuff like ADAT and so on.

Tup3x

FYI the measurements in my previous posts are made by using cheap Antec NEO ECO and FSP HEXA+ PSUs and they are at around $50.
It doesn't necessarily mean that they perform badly when hardly stressed.

bennetng

Major Contributor
It doesn't necessarily mean that they perform badly when hardly stressed.
If you have a discrete GPU card and stress it differences may show up, and it is not limited to internal soundcards.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/02/measurement-asus-xonar-essence-one.html

As you can see the differences are actually smaller for an internal soundcard.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/04/retro-measure-2002-lynx-l22-pci-audio.html

Specifically, the differences are additional noise rather than the height of harmonics. Both Amir and Miska's tests have very flat and clean noise floor and no 50/60Hz stuffs showing up.

Stress the CPU (and iGPU) made no meaningful differences in my experience, and it is the case when running the Audio Precision suite and the Prism dScope suite in Miska's setup.

If I am going to worry about quality of PSUs I am going to worry more about safety issues like potential fire/explosion/damaging of other hardware and so on.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it's that price on newegg until sunday

KimbaWLion

I usually like getting off EVGA directly since that is the link I posted from. It's easier to register, shipping is usually free and some times there is zero sales tax also. They also run awesome BF sales too...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
on that note, could you try rolling the opa to a 1612, lme49710 or similar and measure?

very very interesting
Sorry, can't. Put my PC back together again so I can get work done. :) I have done op-amp rolling in the past and it makes almost no difference.

rando

@amirm Thought about bugging you for this review after being the final push into buying it for testing.

You mention avoiding op-amp rolling but... did you?

mkawa

Forum Donor
i don't believe he did. he has a point that high quality opas measure the same w/rt measurement error, and the opas used on this board are high quality..

i have opinions on this, ie, i think muses02 sounds sublime vs anything else on the market.. but i am relatively sure it also measures worse than the much less expensive 1612..

bennetng

Major Contributor
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/evga-nu-audio.php#srw27
RAA's result without additional upsampling, not too different from Miska's.
thd.PNG

20-22kHz jitter graph:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/evga-nu-audio.php#srw24

Multitone:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/evga-nu-audio.php#srw42

Here is AE-5's jitter at 44k (note that the graph is not normalized to 0dB)
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/creative-sound-blaster-ae-5.php#srw24

It is very similar to Amir's result at 48k:
index.php

Here is Tascam UH-7000, an external device affected by its own power supply noise:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27898-tascam-uh-7000-power-supply-noise/
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/01/measurements-tascam-uh-7000-usb.html

mkawa

Forum Donor
is this suitable for someone interested but not experienced at taking measurements of devices that are at the absolute high end eg for device characterization and room correction? if so, is the unit still for sale? :p

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The previous gen really wasn't great..... I don't have high expectations for this model either.

being both an audio and a PC hardware enthusiast i can see that EVGA tried the "quality" approach to the PC audio with minimum response by the market, so it went full gaming BS mode.
I would expect basically 0 improvements on this new revision with a raised price point. it will surely attract PC gaming audio fools with RGB lights and flashy marketing, which is what other audio companies did in the past and what really worked in this kind of market. sennheiser is the most clear example of this kind of conduct

Jimster480

Major Contributor
being both an audio and a PC hardware enthusiast i can see that EVGA tried the "quality" approach to the PC audio with minimum response by the market, so it went full gaming BS mode.
I would expect basically 0 improvements on this new revision with a raised price point. it will surely attract PC gaming audio fools with RGB lights and flashy marketing, which is what other audio companies did in the past and what really worked in this kind of market. sennheiser is the most clear example of this kind of conduct
Too bad the "quality" aspect barely beat (or lost to) onboard Audio available on so many motherboards today... essentially making it a redundant product that costs more than many fast CPU's today!

given that on-board audio solutions nowaday tend to be pure marketing gimmicks to raise prices, i think that all audio products aimed to gaming audience should be avoided as being basically poop products in a coloured shell of aggressive advertising.

EVGA tried to approach this area and failed mainly because of the price, and the lack of adequate marketing for the offered solution. with a starting price of 159$ the NU audio could've been very appealing, thinking that senneheiser audio cards go higher in price and are just a surround simulator with not even an headphone amplifier and even with that they're selling pretty fine.

Passing to the new model they throw a bunch of audiophile non-sense like new capacitors which ehnance the sound frequencies so i won't be surprised if the new models will measure worse than the original one tested here, in the end Audio Note are typical audiophile esoteric manifacturers so nothing new on the horizon

Jimster480

Major Contributor
given that on-board audio solutions nowaday tend to be pure marketing gimmicks to raise prices, i think that all audio products aimed to gaming audience should be avoided as being basically poop products in a coloured shell of aggressive advertising.

EVGA tried to approach this area and failed mainly because of the price, and the lack of adequate marketing for the offered solution. with a starting price of 159$ the NU audio could've been very appealing, thinking that senneheiser audio cards go higher in price and are just a surround simulator with not even an headphone amplifier and even with that they're selling pretty fine.

Passing to the new model they throw a bunch of audiophile non-sense like new capacitors which ehnance the sound frequencies so i won't be surprised if the new models will measure worse than the original one tested here, in the end Audio Note are typical audiophile esoteric manifacturers so nothing new on the horizon
Hopefully a model will get sent to amir for testing so we can see what "gaming technologies" have been added to this device :)

Tks

Major Contributor

it will surely attract PC gaming audio fools with RGB lights and flashy marketing, which is what other audio companies did in the past and what really worked in this kind of market.

They understand their demographic. I was at Computex once where a company representative (can't remember which for the life of me) said their sales data showed by simply including RGB of ANY kind in the marketing material translated to 15% more sales regardless of product, as compared to their non-RGB variants prior.

I am also into PC hardware, and when I came to audio recently (I still don't know much) but found it hilarious the quantity and severity of science deniers that exist here. In PC hardware, every step people are asking for specs for nearly everything. It's basically a cultural standard that will never cease at this point, that's how ingrained it is, and how representative and valuable it is when extrapolating the product you're going to buy.

In audio it's only recently it seems that people are understanding the point of measurements for example (as most simply think analyzers are LITERALLY directly trying to measure the "pleasure" level of performance you're going to experience). At least in PC hardware, people meme about RGB not bringing any benefits all the time. It's only recently on Reddit (I'm surprised by this more than anything, since the place is rather a cesspool in many subreddits more than anything decent) that a large population of audio enthusiasts are meme'ing the stupidity of "sonic superior cables" and other such nonsense. That's some real good progress to see.

The sad part about EVGA's products, is they have to work quite hard if they're playing the specs game. Their doesn't seem to be an easy way to market audio quality. Thus lower interest. They also have the actual problem of specs in reality because of the placement of soundcards. Most will be housed in EMI nightmares aka the inside of a PC case. So getting good specs I think is far tougher than any of the external options we have in classical audio reproduction.

Idk if anyone here knows (I mentioned it before) but I think the reason EVGA even attempts audio, is because their founder is a massive audiophile...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yep, I knew that the founder is a massive Audiophile. He has a setup though that I don't really agree with... so the sound cards semi-poor performance isn't surprising!
Its incredible how much RGB stuff is on the market today.... people waste so much money on lights.... I guess since PC's are so fast in general that there is extra money to throw away on lights!

Top Bottom