• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New PC + REGA DAC (TOSLINK)

sk0rp

Hi guys!

I am buying a new PC and I wonder how to connect it to my Rega DAC. The only good solution I can think of is SPDIF/Toslink. So the question is what would be the best with sensible costs:
a) integrated audio with SPDIF out like on the: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4
b) PCIe sound card (which one?)
c) USB/SPDIF converter (which one?)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys!

I am buying a new PC and I wonder how to connect it to my Rega DAC. The only good solution I can think of is SPDIF/Toslink. So the question is what would be the best with sensible costs:
a) integrated audio with SPDIF out like on the: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4
b) PCIe sound card (which one?)
c) USB/SPDIF converter (which one?)
Try it with usb and see what you think?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The motherboard you are looking at has optical TOSLINK out as well as usb. I would do as @Jimbob54 recommended and try usb first.
If for some reason you encounter "noise" on your connection, you could easily switch to an optical one.

USB allows for higher bit rate transmission than does TOSLINK, but mostly inaudible differences in my opinion.

OP
S

sk0rp

in Rega Dac USB is limited to 16/48
The question is will I hear differences from a) b) or c)?

Also I am not sure if I will buy this motherboard or a different one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
in Rega Dac USB is limited to 16/48
The question is will I hear differences from a) b) or c)?

Also I am not sure if I will buy this motherboard or a different one.
I'd still go with usb unless your new pc comes with toslink as an added bonus. Should be nothing wrong with 16/48.

Personally, I'd rather get a new reasonably priced but infinitely better performing dac that has a newer usb interface than spend £xx on devices to convert usb to optical for an old dac (have you seen the recent review on here of the rega dac R, wasn't great)

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
USB is limited to 16/48
Sounds pretty dated. Probably adaptive mode 16 bit using the Cmedia or TI (PCM270x) based chip sets. They only support 16 bit and 32, 44.1, 48 kHz sample rate.
Characteristic for early USB audio (2000-2010).
Technically Toslink with its 24 bit / 96 kHz is to be preferred.
If the difference is audible is another question.

OP
S

sk0rp

I'd still go with usb unless your new pc comes with toslink as an added bonus. Should be nothing wrong with 16/48.

Personally, I'd rather get a new reasonably priced but infinitely better performing dac that has a newer usb interface than spend £xx on devices to convert usb to optical for an old dac (have you seen the recent review on here of the rega dac R, wasn't great)
Yes, I was thinking about that. I am not very happy for this DAC sound. Is there a DAC ranking somewhere that you could recommend?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I was thinking about that. I am not very happy for this DAC sound. Is there a DAC ranking somewhere that you could recommend?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/ select audio electronics tab, advnaced search for DAC and input price parameters.

I would have thought major factors would be whether you want a volume control and want XLR outputs. Headphone amp built in?

There is a massive swathe of very high performing DACS between $100 and $400 reviewed on here - too much choice tbh.

Again, whether AN Other DAC is audibly different to the Rega is a different matter- it really shouldnt be an obvious change- hence my prime and almost zero cost option is the use the REGA with a cheap USB printer type cable.

A DAC with nothing more or less than the REGA but refreshed USB interface and better technical spec would be £100 or so (latest no frills options from JDS labs, Topping, SMSL etc)

OP
S

sk0rp

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/ select audio electronics tab, advnaced search for DAC and input price parameters.

I would have thought major factors would be whether you want a volume control and want XLR outputs. Headphone amp built in?

There is a massive swathe of very high performing DACS between $100 and $400 reviewed on here - too much choice tbh.

Again, whether AN Other DAC is audibly different to the Rega is a different matter- it really shouldnt be an obvious change- hence my prime and almost zero cost option is the use the REGA with a cheap USB printer type cable.

A DAC with nothing more or less than the REGA but refreshed USB interface and better technical spec would be £100 or so (latest no frills options from JDS labs, Topping, SMSL etc)
I use REGA amplifier - this one is good actually: Rega Brio-R and passive monitors.
I do not plan to use headphones.
Volume control I have on my amplifier.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I personally would just purchase a new pc with usb+optical TOSLINK and see if you like the sound and software. Purchase an appropriate length TOSLINK
cable if you have any noise problems with the USB or want to have a 24bit/> 48k option with your Rega DAC.
If you are not satisfied, then look into a DAC upgrade.

Top Bottom