• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
JustAnandaDourEyedDude , I remember, Hifiman produced 2-3 very different models named HE400i, why I can not do the same? You know, I receiving some ideas regarding DAC improvement every couple of days, hence, I have the temptation to implement that as soon as possible, usually, I can't resist. On another hand, to keep pricing Ok I have to order materials for at least a few thousand sets. And here is another temptation, I don't want to throw out these materials and generate additional junk flaw(aluminum case = a lot of heat + anodize i.e. chemical pollutions, giftbox = wood, deforestation, and your money finally).
PS: 9038SG3 out of stock, so we can't mix it up.

digicidal

Major Contributor
JustAnandaDourEyedDude , I remember, Hifiman produced 2-3 very different models named HE400i, why I can not do the same? You know, I receiving some ideas regarding DAC improvement every couple of days, hence, I have the temptation to implement that as soon as possible, usually, I can't resist. On another hand, to keep pricing Ok I have to order materials for at least a few thousand sets. And here is another temptation, I don't want to throw out these materials and generate additional junk flaw(aluminum case = a lot of heat + anodize i.e. chemical pollutions, giftbox = wood, deforestation, and your money finally).

I'm pretty sure no consumer has ever gotten upset from getting a better version than expected of a product. As long as only improvements make it into the shipping version, I can only see that being a good thing! Kudos for reducing and reusing rather than just dumping everything. ;)

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Thank you for explaining your well-reasoned decisions. I am glad you are improving your DACs frequently, and am happy to be one of the beneficiaries :). I am also happy you are using rather than wasting all the materials that you have to buy in bulk, thus keeping the prices attractive and avoiding unnecessary harm to the environment. Now that I understand from staticV3's and your posts what is actually transpiring, I feel reassured. I was unaware of your decisions, and meant no criticism of them in my posts; I was just seeking clarification.

When I ordered the Susumu 3000 (S3K) edition 31 days before receiving it, both the regular edition and the S3K edition were available on the E1DA store on AliExpress. I had opened both pages in my browser in side-by-side tabs, and still have the same pages open. After receiving and testing the S3K Ed I refreshed both product pages (prior to reporting successful delivery), and saw that the Regular Ed page is no longer showing the product, but instead a choice among the three cables, but there was a link at the bottom of one of the two pages, to a page on the DD-Audio store showing the Reg Ed #9038SG3 is seemingly still in stock there. So, without knowing what staticV3 and you have now posted in reply, in my mind there was an expectation that since both versions were in stock a month ago and they were priced differently and had separate product pages, there would be some marking on product or packaging to distinguish between the two (staticV3 mentioned that you did intend the "3" in G3 to be underlined). When I received the S3K, it made me wonder whether the seller had mistakenly sent me the Reg Ed, and thus my first post here requesting a confirmation about the unchanged packaging. After staticV3's helpful reply, I realized I must have received the right (S3K) edition after all. Though my second post did note that if both versions were in stock with identical packaging, the AliExpress seller needed to be careful to avoid mix-ups. I see now from your reply that the S3K is likely the successor to the Reg Ed, and not just a parallel version in identical packaging.

Anyway, thanks to staticV3 and to you for clearing up my confusion. Even with a doubt about a possible mix-up, I ordered a second Susumu 3000 edition at the time of reporting successful delivery of the previous one (before my previous two posts here), and I look forward to getting the #9038D as well when it is released :).

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
DD-Audio, Linsoul, and others have their own storage of 9038SG3 they bought from our Aliexpress store with a wholesale discount. I stopped to sell G3 when I offered S3K just to avoid mess and I have only 30pcs 9038SG3 S3K left, so I want to slow down selling to avoid the empty store gap. ASAP, we'll order 500-1000pcs more, probably, simultaneously with 9038D 500pcs.

somy

Does it work with iOS device? And can it be used as external DAC for PC/Mac and connect to stereo system (integrated amp + speakers etc.)? Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does it work with iOS device? And can it be used as external DAC for PC/Mac and connect to stereo system (integrated amp + speakers etc.)? Thanks
Yes it works with iOS devices, but you might have to supply power externally. Some cables work directly, some don't.
It cannot be connected to external Amps because the 9038S does not have a GND pin, which is necessary for safe operation.

somy

A stupid question:
I understand 9038S only provide balanced output, but with a new cable/adaptor it works with all headphones.
Why is it necessary for 9038D? Isn't balanced output always better than unbalanced?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
A stupid question:
I understand 9038S only provide balanced output, but with a new cable/adaptor it works with all headphones.
Why is it necessary for 9038D? Isn't balanced output always better than unbalanced?

There are popular headphones out there that cannot be easily converted to use balanced input. Case in point being the AKG K371.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Not with ALL headphones. Some headphones can be used balanced with the proper cable. Most headphones cannot as there is no cable for it (or it cannot be made without altering the headphone itself).
This is where the 9038D comes in. A lot less power though which basically is the fun part of the S version.

Have been waiting for this dongle... good to hear a small production run is being made.
Will probably be sold out quickly.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi Ivan, Static - I have heard that planars shine on 9038s. I assume with 9038D also.
Do you know if Fostex t50 rp mk3 sounds well on these dacs, (just like Hifiman 400i/400s)?
This one is better asked in Discord, but I'm taking the liberty of asking you here. Pls do let me know your experience.
I can only tell you my experience with a variety of IEMs, and with the K712, HD600, and Thie Phantom.
Furthermore, I don't have other desktop DACs and Amps to compare the 9038S to, just a bunch of dongles and the E10K.

Reactions: PSO

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HE400i and T50RPmk3 are very different sounding.
HE400i is more sensitive than T50RP so when you had to choose between these too only than I would say the HE400i would do better.
It can drive the T50RPmk3 but not to as impressive levels as the 400i

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe a monoprice can be in that price range or HE4XX ?

Have no experience with these. The HE4XX looks to be a HE400i with a cheaper headband and different pads.
This is all entry level planar stuff.
In dynamics there may be more choice in that pricerange

staticV3

Master Contributor
yeah, for less than $150 you could get a used HD600, which I consider fantastic value

IVX

Major Contributor
solderdude, right, T50 as I remember, will produce 112db SPL with 3.5VRMS, that's not too loud. I like to have a room up to 120db SPL, especially for the hard rock music, to drive that as supposed to be in a rock concert. However, different people have a different perception of loudness. StaticV3 a young guy and his 110db SPL is the same as 120db SPL to me.

Top Bottom