• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are you happy with E1DA with HD600 (I understand it needs more power than HD650)? Have you compared the combo with a desktop amp and notice some difference in terms of SQ? Thank you!
The HD600 needs on average about 2% more power to reach the same volume as the HD650. I'd say they're pretty much equal.
I don't have a proper desktop setup right now, but if you want, then you can join our discord server. Many others are on there who should be able to give you some comparisons.

vvilco

I'd like to share an unpleasant experience:

While listening to my 9038s gen 2 the device suddenly produced several short moments of static noise at what seemed max volume level.

Luckily I was using 300 Ω over-ear headphones that I could remove instantly so my ears and the phones are ok.

If I had used my in-ears I guess this could have resulted in both my ear drums being blown out.

Any idea to what could have happened?

I have ordered a new one but I will never use it with an in-ear monitor.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That is a know issue with the 9038S G1 and G2. The USB bridge used in those devices does not handle EMI or dust/movement very well, which can lead to loud noises. After Ivan got wind of this issue and was informed by the manufacturer that they couldn't do anything about it, he switched to a new bridge for all future products. That includes the G3 and 9038D. With the new bridge that bug is gone completely.
I have experienced this bug multiple times with my G1 using IEMs and it's horrible. I don't wish to excuse it and I don't wish anyone else to experience it. Whenever someone talks about those old devices, I make sure to inform them about it.

bavlf

To avoid these inconveniences with E1DA 9038 G2 (reading with bit perfect mode) there is a very simple solution: use the Neutron player with android , and first of all: adjust the sound level with the two possibilities: preamp and normal. (Not possible with UAPP, I concede)

staticV3

Master Contributor
To avoid these inconveniences with E1DA 9038 G2 (reading with bit perfect mode) there is a very simple solution: use the Neutron player with android , and first of all: adjust the sound level with the two possibilities: preamp and normal. (Not possible with UAPP, I concede)
-the G1 and G2 cannot be used with bit-perfect output. Since they don't have any kind of hardware-based volume control, if you enable bit-perfect output in your music player, then the 9038S will play at 100% volume all the time. If you enable bit-perfect and you can still adjust volume, then it is not bit-perfect.
-more importantly: those issues have absolutely nothing to do with the player you use or whether you use bit-perfect output. They are caused by mechanical movement of the USB C jack or by excessive EMI. Every player is affected equally.
-lastly, that preamp and normal software volume inside Neutron is both regular software volume and as such, there's absolutely nothing special about it. Btw, UAPP also has a software preamp volume and a regular software volume, in addition to the hardware volume control for DACs that support it.

bavlf

:) ... but I am very annoyed for such a musical alternative and at a fair price!

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
yes, G1 and G2 used CM6642 USB audio-bridge which has no audio-data validity check, every time when your USB-C connector gets dusty, you have a chance to get loud white-noise. I don't know another USB audio chip which also ignores audio-data integrity. 9038SG3 and 9038D use Comtrue USB audio-bridge and such an issue impossible. However, we got feedback from our users, they complain about a "stuttering" 9038SG3 with Powerbook pro 2020, MS Surface 2020, Lenovo Carbon 2020, Acer SF313-52-71Y7 2020. Something strange with the newest USB3 version, I reported Comtrue about that, and I expect they will fix it with new FW. A similar stuttering issue happens with Meizu HiFi DAC i.e. with Cirrus Logic USB audio chip.

IVX

Major Contributor
DSC_7883-1.jpg
DSC_7887-1.jpg

9038D's crosstalk is -82db@1kHz 32ohm load .
Is 9038S still better because of 'balanced'?
I felt my meizu dac's crosstalk was more awfuI comparing with Topping DX7. I hope 9038d is better.

IVX

Major Contributor
oliveoilthansnakeoil, exactly, balanced is always winner due to topology. 9038D has -82db crosstalk with the ordinary 3.5mm plug if you'll use an expensive one, for instance fully silver one, crosstalk will be better than -100db, perhaps. It is simple R/R divider, please take a look how I got -80db:
2020-10-08_09-38-32.png

WeChat Image_20201008094406.jpg

Top Bottom