• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

mslim

It will damage or destroy both the PDv2 and the 9038S. You would need to make a custom cable which takes the ground from the USB cable and shares it with the two XLR ground pins.

Ok. I was worried about all these hence I should stick to 3.5mm unbalanced!

I overlooked the fact that the USB-C connection for the 9038S is female. Wouldn't it be better to be male like most of these type of dongle? I understand there may be some torque at that sort of connection unless it is designed like the Meizu Hifi Pro. I guess at minimum I'll need a male-to-male short USB-C cable with this.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok. I was worried about all these hence I should stick to 3.5mm unbalanced!

I overlooked the fact that the USB-C connection for the 9038S is female. Wouldn't it be better to be male like most of these type of dongle? I understand there may be some torque at that sort of connection unless it is designed like the Meizu Hifi Pro. I guess at minimum I'll need a male-to-male short USB-C cable with this.
The aim was to offer replaceable cables as that is the part which is most likely to fail from wear. Whereas with other dongles the entire thing would be useless once the cable inevitably fails, with the 9038S you can just replace it and be on your way.

mslim

The aim was to offer replaceable cables as that is the part which is most likely to fail from wear. Whereas with other dongles the entire thing would be useless once the cable inevitably fails, with the 9038S you can just replace it and be on your way.

That's a good point. I'm waiting for delivery of the Meizu Hifi Pro and will experiment to see if those magnetic USB adapters will work in order to reduce wear and tear at the phone port.

Veri

Master Contributor
It will damage or destroy both the PDv2 and the 9038S. You would need to make a custom cable which takes the ground from the USB cable and shares it with the two XLR ground pins.
Umm, you are mistaking with 3.5mm. All four pins of the balanced output are used, none are shorted. What's the problem?
Balanced to balanced is no problem. IVX still recommends against it, because truly long cable lengths can make the amp oscillate.

As long as it is wired correctly, it will work. I used this kind of cable with my PowerDAC with NO problems.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Umm, you are mistaking with 3.5mm. All four pins of the balanced output are used, none are shorted. What's the problem?

As long as it is wired correctly, it will work. I used this kind of cable with my PowerDAC with NO problems.
No I am not. The DAC and Amp do not share the same ground with that cable, which creates a ground potential, which can kill the DAC. It is strongly advised by Ivan to not use this style of cable. If you still want to do it, that's great. All power to you.
Additionally, the PDv2 has residual switching noise at 384kHz, which some Amps straight up are not designed to handle, potentially damaging them.

Veri

Master Contributor
No I am not. The DAC and Amp do not share the same ground with that cable, which creates a ground potential, which can kill the DAC. It is strongly advised by Ivan to not use this style of cable. If you still want to do it, that's great. All power to you.
I understand the issue now. I know Ivan wants people to be careful. But seriously, people killing the DAC are using unbalanced adapters. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't think the DAC is very prone to dying over a balanced connection. But I get your point that it's advised against, that's fair

bavlf

Hello everybody!
I am a very happy user of the tremendously musical E1DA # 9038S G2 with a TempoTec V1, a wonderful set, but too bad the cable supplied with the # 9038S, so stiff, so big!
Can you give me advice for buying on Aliexpress or better a diagram for DIY cable USB C to USB C?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'd suggest finding a reputable manufacturer to buy from, and not doing diy unless you're certain you'll get it right. Incorrectly wired cables can kill one or both devices you connect. It's a small 24 pin connector, and more complex than your average cable.

bavlf

I'd suggest finding a reputable manufacturer to buy from, and not doing diy unless you're certain you'll get it right. Incorrectly wired cables can kill one or both devices you connect. It's a small 24 pin connector, and more complex than your average cable.
Thank you very much!
A suggestion for a very, very short, very good quality and well-functioning cable with the # 9038S?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello everybody!
I am a very happy user of the tremendously musical E1DA # 9038S G2 with a TempoTec V1, a wonderful set, but too bad the cable supplied with the # 9038S, so stiff, so big!
Can you give me advice for buying on Aliexpress or better a diagram for DIY cable USB C to USB C?
Here you go:
Anatomy of a USB 2.0 C to C cable.
USB 2.0 C to C cable.png

These are the plugs that I use and can recommend: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951777567.html
They have a unibody shell (as opposed to the folded ones with a seam line) and they have a very satisfying click when inserted.

bavlf

There is a mystery that I would like to clear up: I cannot use my # 9038S G2 with my Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950XL (foobar2000 or MediaPlayer etc...) as the noise is so important with my iem even iem position 4 of the E1DA.

By cons with my windows10 PC or with the TempoTec V1 the breath is not present!

An explanation?

lxlx

Forum Donor
@bavlf use flightmode on your Lumias for tests, if no noise any more it's a known issue, G3 resolves hopefully :)

bavlf

@bavlf use flightmode on your Lumias for tests, if no noise any more it's a known issue, G3 resolves hopefully :)

Thanks, it's the same with flight mode:)
bavlf, what kinda noise?
Sorry, I don't know the word in english, it's what in french we call "souffle" (breathe), (noise like K7 audio without Dolby noise reductor), it' s only with the ISN H40 and his very high sensibility, the noise is really very high, disturbing to the point of making listening not musical at all.

And no noise for example with TRI i3.

bavlf

Thank you, but not important, in any case it is almost impossible to use the Lumia 950 with the # 9038S G2 with the ISN H40, no musical pleasure because of the very high hiss.

Top Bottom