• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

esm

Forum Donor
I picked up both a G1 (early bandwagon jumper) and a G2 (has IEM mode and, unlike the G1, works with my laptop without external power), but I'll still order a G3 just because of:
2) Solved LTE buzzing noise issue and USB bad connection related to "loud white noise"(cmedia USB bridge design defect).
I'm affected by the "loud white noise" issue, and because I often use some very sensitive IEMs, "loud" is particularly ear-shattering. (And that cellular noise drives me batty.)

I just treat the recurring cost as funding the ongoing development of a good product that fits my needs very, very well. :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Will the tweaker app be cross-platform, or will you document the API so others can provide apps for different operating systems?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Dongle Power Consumption.png

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
staticV3 thank you for the detailed power consumption plots, that confirms my opinion regarding savitech USB bridges as the most archaic tech implemented on the market. The bridge from Cirrus is the best, you can see just the same power consumption at all modes(I even wish to check is there any cheating-resampling?). Ciruss DAC also has tiny current consumption. Now, take a look at the S8 where was only changed the bridge chip to Savitech with the same DAC as Meizu non-pro with no any opamp buffers too. S8 consumption near to the same as 9038SG3 which has 10-15 times more output power and utilizes hungry ES9038Q2M DAC + high current opamps! The current version of CT7601 that I use has no implemented suspend_mode of USB, that's why the left number is 205, I asked Comtrue about how to reduce the standby consumption but they said they can't..

Madcow

Ok so I just got my sundaras in and had to order a different cable to hook up to the 9038. So far so good, all the noise and radio interference has vanished while using sundaras. Also my oneplus 6t powers the dac just fine at full power which is very very loud. The dac gets warm but not hot when it's working. Can the maker chime in why the radio interference would go away using regular headphones instead of my tape earbuds? Only difference is impedence here or maybe cables???

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Ok so I just got my sundaras in and had to order a different cable to hook up to the 9038. So far so good, all the noise and radio interference has vanished while using sundaras. Also my oneplus 6t powers the fact just fine at full power which is very very loud. The fact gets warm but not hot when it's working. Can the maker chime in why the radio interference would go away using regular headphones instead of my tape earbuds? Only difference is impedence here or maybe cables???

What's a tape earbud?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok so I just got my sundaras in and had to order a different cable to hook up to the 9038. So far so good, all the noise and radio interference has vanished while using sundaras. Also my oneplus 6t powers the dac just fine at full power which is very very loud. The dac gets warm but not hot when it's working. Can the maker chime in why the radio interference would go away using regular headphones instead of my tape earbuds? Only difference is impedence here or maybe cables???
EMI has the same "power" no matter what headphone/IEM you use, but since your Sundara is way less efficient than your Tape, it converts the same EMI into way less effective volume. Hence, the EMI becomes inaudible.

mslim

No more modes. Only simple device for all who don't care, and crazy flexible 9038 tweaker App for geeks.

I jumped to the bottom of this thread as I just discovered this.

So I think you need to edit your FAQ on your website to the above effect :) regarding the newer version.

Anyway, I checked your Aliexpress store - the 9038 S/D are not available at the moment so I hope you will have stock soon (? Covid-19 related). I have absolutely no problem buying from Aliexpress and is basically my fav.

So if you have used the Cirrus Logic DAC chip, there might not be a need to use the Y-cable?

Anyway, I'm waiting for the 3.5mm version to save me the hassle with new cables. Would be great if Amir has the oppurtunity to test this as well but the proposed (?) specs look very very similar so all the best.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I think you need to edit your FAQ on your website to the above effect :)

Anyway, I checked your Aliexpress store - Not available at the moment so I hope you will have stock soon (? Covid-19 related). I have absolutely no problem buying from Aliexpress and is basically my fav.

I jumped to the bottom of this thread as I just discovered this. So if you have used the Cirrus Logic DAC chip, there might not be a need to use the Y-cable?
There already isn't a need for a Y-cable per se. Even the 9038S G1 and the PDv2, which is way more power hungry, can be used with most phones directly.

mslim

There already isn't a need for a Y-cable per se. Even the 9038S G1 and the PDv2, which is way more power hungry, can be used with most phones directly.

Great. I was hoping to avoid more messy cables.

Top Bottom