• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

staticV3

Master Contributor
The S G3 takes priority, but is somewhat stuck in development due to Corona. Ivan's aiming to add an extra flash chip so that user profiles can be stored locally instead of having to overwrite the stock profile everytime you plug it in.

Reactions: Tks

sawe

This was the saviour amp for me, only affordable portable that I could find that can drive Tin P1 for volumes I like to listen to.
Big thanks to Ivan.

And affordable package aswell.
Amp: Total: E1DA 9038S Gen 2 USB DAC Headphone Amp and Cables US $83.89

Cables from Linsoul:
TRIPOWIN C8 × 1 2.5mm Plug / MMCX connector $26.99

Peter Pan

Hello everybody!
I am a very happy user of the tremendously musical E1DA # 9038S G2 with a TempoTec V1, a wonderful set, but too bad the cable supplied with the # 9038S, so stiff, so big!
Can you give me advice for buying on Aliexpress or better a diagram for DIY cable USB C to USB C?

Hi,
May I ask what settings you use on the V1 to get this to work? I've bought one myself to use with the 9038S but I'm not able to make it work.....

bavlf

Hello, I'm a little surprised by your question, in fact normally it's plug and play!:)
What is your problem?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I'm a little surprised by your question, in fact normally it's plug and play!:)
What is your problem?
If it behaves like my little old Hiby player, there is a setting to use an external dac.

bavlf

No settings with TempoTec V1: if connected USB = automatic detection USB, if connected coaxial = automatic detection coaxial.

uga

Hello all
is there some figure available as far as power consumption goes?
I'm trying to understand in advance how much does 9038S "suck" from the source battery - e.g. - per hour of usage...
thanks in advance
U.

uga

There was a comparison vs a few other dongle posted a couple of pages back
Oh thank you, seen that.
So essentially it drains +-500mW while playing 44.1 / 96 FLACs. I assume at 5V? So that will be 100mA current?
Taking as a reference a Tempotec V1 as a USB source (1200Ah battery in there) the E1DA alone would suck the battery dry in 12hours, which equates in a guess of 8h playtime for the pair. Am I on the right track here?

bavlf

With WAV + TempoTec V1 + E1DA #9038S, I think it's less than 8 hours.
But I will control more seriously :rolleyes:

uga

With WAV + TempoTec V1 + E1DA #9038S, I think it's less than 8 hours.
But I will control more seriously :rolleyes:

well my main "calculus" is about how much does E1DA 9038SG3 drains, and I guess from your answer I hit the bullseye.
How long will V1+9038S last will ofc depend on V1's power consumption which is unknown to me.
A joint test would be great :)

May I suggest to check FLACs rather that WAVs I suspect they are more widely adopted as a lossless format (by myself, for one :D )

uga

uga

... FLACs

If I understand that you suspect that reading a WAV requires more energy than reading a FLAC, you have given the answer :), I believe :)

Yes, I suspected that. Is it the other way around ?
My main rationale for FLACs is storage space though.

bavlf

It could be interesting to take a serious test!
If I had time...

WoodyLuvr

EDIT: Ordered the Meizu HiFi Pro while we all patiently await the arrival of E1DA 9038D a few months after the soon occuring 9038S G3 roll-out.

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
Oh thank you, seen that.
So essentially it drains +-500mW while playing 44.1 / 96 FLACs. I assume at 5V? So that will be 100mA current?
Taking as a reference a Tempotec V1 as a USB source (1200Ah battery in there) the E1DA alone would suck the battery dry in 12hours, which equates in a guess of 8h playtime for the pair. Am I on the right track here?
If capacity is 1200Ah you don't want to abuse it and will hopefully start recharging the battery at 25-40% level if you want the battery to work around 2 yrs.

Top Bottom