• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Tks

Major Contributor
Tks
do you mean HPtoy app use with #9038S? But how? BT LE need about 50% of PCB area, and need to add some compact DSP as well. So far no way.

Yes, I had no idea how the app worked as I never used the PowerDacV2. I think you have an amazing concept there though. So many portable devices lack serious PEQ, and personally, when I bought an RME DAC, one of the deciding factors that helped my decision was it's inclusion of something like the 5 band PEQ (wish it was 10, but you can't have it all).

The EQ issue mostly is found on iPhones where no serious EQ apps exist that I know of.

Linsoul Audio: they offer a return policy that is totally inadequate in today's market!
Within 7-days ... 40-50% restocking fee ... really? o_O

Better than Massdrop that doesn't want to offer any service after 1 year (even if you're willing to pay, they don't want anything to do with fixing the product).

doctorjuggles

Just ordered one of these, thanks Amir for the review and Ivan for the cool product

Anyone else finding it difficult to find short type c to type c otg cables though? Seems to be fairly rare

Fabio

Just ordered one of these, thanks Amir for the review and Ivan for the cool product

Anyone else finding it difficult to find short type c to type c otg cables though? Seems to be fairly rare

This is easy with a small micro to Usb-c adapter... Try to find an usb-c otg splitter to micro and usb-c to use with a power bank. I've bought one #9038S but could not find a suitable cable without putting together some small cables and adapter... I'll look like a Frankstein cable.

doctorjuggles

Bizarre! I know we have a niche hobby but it’s still odd that nobody like Fiio or Shanling is producing them.
Thanks for the reply

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Eagerly awaiting the USB-C to 3.5mm unbalanced version. Better yet, is it possible to make a version using TRRS that senses balanced vs. unbalanced and outputs accordingly?

s_beck

Ordered one just before this review came out! Planning on using it for my desk setup at work, as well as for portable use.
It has about the same power output as a fulla 2, so I'll be replacing my fulla 2 with this. I love the simplicity and the versatility of the design - fewer buttons to accidentally press in my pocket. I also am a fan of the 2.5 balanced.
A dac/amp that will fit in my pocket that measures cleaner than 90% of desktop dacs 3-4 times the price and more - love it :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
You guys have cool profile pics @IVX @ks
would not drive a HD650 from a phone or dongle but plenty of people do and like it, they probably don't play loud.

What's the reason you wouldn't?

• Sensitivity by voltage: 105.10 dB/V SPL
  • Sensitivity by power: 100.48 dB/mW SPL

For 94 dB SPL need, VRMS = 0.279

For 94 dB SPL need, mW = 0.225

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
the confusing part is the 2.5mm balanced output. I can't think of a single headphone that uses this jack without aftermarket cables.

I have 2.5mm TRRS cables for my HD6XX, HE4XX, 0.78mm 2-pin (IEM), MMCX ( IEM / Earbud) .

They are fairly easy to source pretty cheaply especially for the IEM ones. sub-US$10/- for those that actually measure very well.

My 2 headphone cables cost between US$12~18/- each from Taobao.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's the reason you wouldn't?
  • Sensitivity by voltage: 105.10 dB/V SPL

Well a phone has about max 1V output voltage so 105dB is max volume.
Problem is this number is NOT equal to the average level one sees mentioned as 'lawnmower at 1m' or something similar.
That 105dB is peak value in music and not an 'average' value as is mentioned in the 'loudness' charts.
You would want the peaks not to clip/distort. The average Phon levels (dBA weighted) will be much lower than those peak levels.

Those that want to hear undistorted peaks at 'realistic' levels simply won't have enough voltage-swing to achieve that.
For listening softly to music you can easily drive it from a phone though.
This means for some it is enough, for others it is not.

The balanced output of the E1DA has 10dB more headroom than a phone which means it can play twice as loud and sound undistorted.
That is significant.

Last edited:

dropbear

Would you mind me asking why I can't use a simple 2,5 BAL > 3,5/6,3 SE adapter? Does the same as running balanced output to unbalanced input (line signal) apply here as well?

Oh, and by the way, what an astonishing tiny guy!

Veri

Master Contributor
It's the same principle as not being able to buy a balanced amp and using a simple 4-pin XLR to SE converter with it. It won't work, and there's a good thing of shorting or even breaking things.

Se to balanced input, easy. Balanced to se input, you better know what you're doing...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Would you mind me asking why I can't use a simple 2,5 BAL > 3,5/6,3 SE adapter? Does the same as running balanced output to unbalanced input (line signal) apply here as well?

Oh, and by the way, what an astonishing tiny guy!

See the first pages where it is explained.
Basically you cannot use it single ended for 3 reasons:

A: There is no ground connection so the Sleeve of the TRS cannot be connected.
B: If you were to use the ground of the USB input you would still be faced with having 2.5V DC across your driver which is a silent killer of headphones.
C: You would effectively be shorting 2 of the (in total) 4 amplifiers in the dongle when one would tie both negative outputs to the Sleeve.

That should be enough reasons not to even attempt it. :)
This device can ONLY be used with balanced headphones (where balanced means 4 separate wires, not balanced in sound) or via an adapter cable to a balanced input of an amplifier (witout a screen).

To be abundantly clear... One can NOT use single ended headphones with any (truly) balanced device. ONLY balanced (4-wire) headphones.
Regardless what kind of aftermarket 'adapters' are available and how much one may want these to work.

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
See the first pages where it is explained.
Basically you cannot use it single ended for 3 reasons:

A: There is no ground connection so the Sleeve of the TRS cannot be connected.
B: If you were to use the ground of the USB input you would still be faced with having 2.5V DC across your driver which is a silent killer of headphones.
C: You would effectively be shorting 2 of the (in total) 4 amplifiers in the dongle when one would tie both negative outputs to the Sleeve.

That should be enough reasons not to even attempt it. :)
This device can ONLY be used with balanced headphones (where balanced means 4 separate wires, not balanced in sound) or via an adapter cable to a balanced input of an amplifier (witout a screen).

If i read correctly an adpater plug like this : https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/6-35mm...200768?hash=item5b518cb8c0:g:bMYAAOSwHu5b7D7I won't do any good?

Veri

Master Contributor
If i read correctly an adpater plug like this : https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/6-35mm...200768?hash=item5b518cb8c0:g:bMYAAOSwHu5b7D7I won't do any good?
this kind of cable really shouldn't exist lol. will not work!

You could use your balanced XLR-terminated headphones with an adapter like this: 2.5mm 4-pin to XLR 4-pin female:
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter-XDP-300R/dp/B07D7KZ8TL/

You can not use unbalanced cables from balanced outputs! A really bad idea.

Top Bottom